Mauro Ranallo invades the blogosphere

mauro.jpg Hide the woman and children (and no, I’m not referring to the picture, but they might want to find a new one): Mauro Ranallo has invaded the blogosphere.

I’ll give full disclosure in that I’ve been a Ranallo fan for quite some time. I realize he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I believe the addition of his blog to The Fight Network web site is a huge upgrade.

In his debut blog, Mauro says the following…

Regarding last Sunday’s DREAM lightweight Grand Prix match between Eddie Alvarez/Joachim Hansen: and

• DREAM held its third event on Sunday May 11th and it featured a fight of the year candidate in the second round of the Lightweight Grand Prix as Eddie Alvarez defeated Joachim Hansen in a thrilling battle that went the distance. I think Alvarez has all the tools to carry a promotion and it would behoove ELITE XC to maximize his marketing potential.

It looks like I wasn’t the only one who felt HDNet should have handled their commentary assignments for DREAM differently last week:

• A lot has been written about HDNet’s coverage of Dream 3. I think in hindsight, having Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten do the commentary in a Los Angeles studio over the live feed from Japan was a mistake. Mark Cuban has very deep pockets. He should have sent the crew to Japan earlier in the week to properly prepare and deliver the broadcast Rice and Rutten are capable of doing. Rice was in Edmonton the night before doing an HDNet Fights card and was reportedly feeling under the weather during the DREAM broadcast. They should have let Ron Kruck handle the play by play in Canada so Rice would have been well rested for the all night broadcast.

In regard to the current season of “The Ultimate Fighter“:

• The Ultimate Fighter has officially “jumped the shark”. As someone who would be labeled a hardcore if I weren’t involved in the sport, I don’t mind the fact that this season has been heavy on fights and light on the histrionics in the house. After all, I don’t know about you, but I can only see a group of guys suffering from cabin fever, get drunk and trash a house so many times! However with ratings continuing to drop, I agree with Bloody Elbow’s Luke Thomas that the next step should be to do the show live a la “Big Brother.”

Overall, I found it to be a strong debut for Ranallo. But you can decide for yourself by clicking here. Welcome to the blogosphere, Ranallo!

• catch says:

You’re not alone, I’m a Ranallo fan as well.

• Love Mauro. Love Eddie Alvarez.

Hmm, I’m used to being angry about things, this is very foreign.

• jj says:

mauro is great.

i think the dream broadcast still went pretty well though besides the studio aspect…at least hdnet had japanese translation for some of it, something pride and k-1 always lacked.

i wouldn’t have minded quadros or mauro alongside bas but kenny rice is good too.

ANYONE BUT FRANK TRIGG!

• Brad says:

Sometimes Mauro’s commentary can be a bit over the top but all in all I like him and I think he does a great job at TFN.

• mike wolfe says:

If he’d just focus on calling the fight he’d be alright. But he insists on throwing out metaphors and similes that are ridiculous.

• [...] Mauro Ranallo invades the blogosphere [...]

• Dillon says:

Mauro’s sometimes ridiculous, over the top style might come from the fact that he was previously a pro wrestling announcer. I remember watching him with Stampede Wrestling and thinking, man this Ranallo guy needs to switch to decaf.

• Skwirrl says:

JJ speaks the truth. Trigg ruined the rebroadcasts of DREAM 1 and 2. Mauro and Bas need to be Japan for DREAM 4. DOWN WITH TRIGG! LONG LIVE DONNY7

• Vlad says:

Just an FYI – I’ve unfortunately been dealing with Ranallo for years. None of my fighters like him, Pride execs were on the verge of canning him, Elite XC, Strikeforce and TFN are pondering the same things. Ask Bas off the record, and see how much he likes Ranallo.

Just go to one afterparty with him and then post your thoughts. Once you get over the ‘awe’ factor, it is very evident the type of person he is.

He’s never done jack to me but I’ve been there dozens of times to see his act. I am shocked he is still in this industry.

• Sam Caplan says:

Who are you? I think it’s only fair you post your real full name if you’re going to make such statements. Are you someone who is in the industry and have truly had one-on-one experiences with Ranallo? Or, are you just some random dude on the Internet making crap up?

And I have been to an after-party that Ranallo was at. He was a regular guy and he seemed to be getting along just fine with the fighters.

• Bad Monkey says:

Mauro’s a douche. His ridiculous commentary is just another example of an announcer trying to make himself the star of the event instead of the fighters.

Get on YouTube and watch the prank CroCop & Bas played on him where CroCop acted like he was pissed off at Mauro and watch Mauro shit his pants!!

• HexRei says:

@#9 Vlad: That was some of that lamest FUD trash talk I’ve ever seen. You managed to spend three paragraphs dissing him and dropped promoters and personalities attesting that they dislike him but you haven’t even given us a hint of what he does. For all we know he’s just got bad BO or something, I remain unconvinced that he is a terrible announcer.

The only thing I can think of is a few times he’s dropped off-color comments (like about Gina Carano) but honestly that doesn’t really bother me.

• Paul says:

Can’t stand this clown. He makes the Showtime stuff almost unwatchable. I especially hate it when Mauro throws out one of his MANY, MANY metaphors during an event. Good example: “He got dropped like a bag of groceries after Grandma slipped on the ice”. Um, what? Doofus.

• Paul says:

…and no need to post something in Mauro’s defense, Sam. You are clearly on record as a fanboy.