FINAL ROUND of Five Ounces of Pain’s MMA Fantasy Mock Draft

mock_draft_logo13.jpg

View draft results HERE

In the immortal words of Mike Goldberg, “IT IS ALL OVER!” That’s right, this is the final round of 5 Oz. of Pain’s first-ever MMA Fantasy Mock Draft.

You can now check out the results to round 21 and take a guess at to which picks stirred the pot. It won’t be hard to figure out which ones they were.

In case you’re new to the site , you can re-live the glory of the previous rounds.

To make a long story short, this is not a pound-for-pound top fighter list. What we’re doing is essentially pretending that every fighter in the world is suddenly declared a free agent with six new organizations selecting talent through a draft format.The idea is to see how six different fans would construct their organization and which fighters they would select to help them execute their vision. Much like real world MMA, every promoter has their different philosophy with each organization establishing its own identity.

The results to round twenty-two are available below.

22.1 Sam Cupitt: Rickson Gracie

Previous Picks: Frank Shamrock (round 1), Tito Ortiz (round 2), and Gesias “JZ Calvan” Calvancante (round 3), Takanori Gomi (round 4), Roger Huerta (round 5), Kenny Florian (round 6), Cung Le (round 7), Michael Bisping (round 8 ), Nate Diaz (round 9), Clay Guida (round 10), Joe Stevenson (round 11), Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (round 12), Yves Edwards (round 13), Stephan Bonnar (round 14), Tim Kennedy (round 15), Nate Quarry (round 16), Mitsuhiro Ishida (round 17), Josh Thomson (round 18), Vitor Belfort (round 19), Glover Teixeira (round 20) , and Kazushi Sakuraba (round 21)

Analysis: My final pick for this tournament is the mysterious BJJ phenom, Rickson Gracie. Sure he’s 50 this year and hasn’t fought since 2000 but late last year he stated his desire to return to the ring which is enough of a reason for me to be able to pick him for this draft.

A fight between Kazushi Sakuraba and Rickson Gracie could very easily get me a foothold in the Japanese market. I would easily sell out the Saitama Super Arena with this fight and with Tito Ortiz or Frank Shamrock on the card I could sell a very decent amount of PPVs. I’m aware Rickson won’t come cheap but hell I think I’d pick up more than enough revenue in Japan to cover his paycheck.

That’s it from me. Feel free to chastise me in the comments section.

22.2 Sam Caplan: Bobby Lashley

Previous Picks: Brock Lesnar (round 1), Fedor Emelianenko (round 2) and Josh Barnett (round 3), Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (round 4), Brandon Vera (round 5), Dan Henderson (round 6), Rich Franklin (round 7), Jason “Mayhem” Miller (round 8 ), Gabriel Gonzaga (round 9), Antonio Silva (round 10) , Robbie Lawler (round 11), Chris Horodecki (round 12), Frank Trigg (round 13), Frankie Edgar (round 14), Ricardo Arona (round 15) Jake Rosholt (round 16), Paul Daley (round 17) , Jorge Masvidal (round 18), Rafael Feijao (round 19), Dave Herman (round 20), and Kurt Angle (round 21)

Analysis: Wow, my last pick. I think I am going to shed a tear. This draft has been going on so long that I think I still had hair when we started.

I gave a lot of consideration to Andre Gusmao with this pick but I elected to take my second pro wrestler (or third, depending on how you feel about Brock Lesnar) instead. Unlike Kurt Angle, Lashley has spent significant time training MMA. His amateur wrestling credentials are also no joke as well. Not to mention he’s a great athlete that already is known to many in the combat sports mainstream.

Angle’s shelf-life might be limited in MMA, but I am a big believer in Lashley. If he decides to train full-time, I think a lot of people are going to be shocked by how far he can go in this sport. He’s a great pick with upside for my heavyweight division.

22.3 Matt Cava: Jens Pulver

Previous Picks: B.J. Penn (round 1), Anderson Silva (round 2), Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (round 3), Jon Fitch (round 4), Matt Lindland (round 5), Sean Sherk (round 6), Paulo Filho (round 7), Aleksander Emelianenko (round 8 ), Nick Diaz (round 9), Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (round 10), Yushin Okami (round 11), Tyson Griffin (round 12), Chris Leben (round 13), Chael Sonnen (round 14), Jeff Monson (round 15), Demian Maia (round 16), Hermes Franca (round 17), Alistair Overeem (round 18), Marcus Aurelio (round 19) , James Irvin (round 20) , and Denis Kang (round 21)

Analysis: You guys are making it too easy for the 5 Oz. readers to love my draft picks. In there late rounds, when some are going with huge names from other sports and others picking B level fighters, you’ve left me with an obvious crowd pleaser for my last pick. Pulver excites crowds, gives great interviews and can knock dudes the f*@k out. He’s at the end of his career, but grabbing him in round 22, if he gives me one or two fights I’ll be happy.

22.4 Ram Maramba: Wilson Reis

Previous Picks: Quinton Jackson (round 1), Randy Couture (round 2) , Urijah Faber (round 3), Keith Jardine (round 4), Kid Yamamoto (round 5), Lyoto Machida (round 6), Frank Mir (round 7), Gilbert Melendez (round 8 ), Miguel Torres (round 9), Vladimir Matyushenko (round 10), Nathan Marquardt (round 11), Joachim Hansen (round 12), Ronaldo Souza (round 13), Mark Hunt (round 14), Jon Murphy (round 15), Yoshihiro Akiyama (round 16), Ricardo Almeida (round 17), Tatsuya Kawajiri (round 18), Vitor Ribeiro (round 19), Joe Lauzon (round 20) , and Jamie Varner (round 21)

Analysis: I was going to try and fit in with my compatriots and come up with some wheels-off pick, but I couldn’t pull the trigger on Genki Sudo or Ramon Dekkers. I was going to go with Rumina Sato, but I need a 135 lber to pair up with my other Torres so I’ll go with someone near and dear to our fearless leader’s heart: Wilson Reis. Not much of a track record on Reis, but if you watch his fights on YouTube or any of his grappling matches you’ll quickly see what a stud this guy is. The guy is a .50 cal in .22 brass. Good on the ground and crazy athletic, I have no doubt he’ll give any of the other 135ers on my roster a run for their money.

22.5 Mike Huckaby: Dong Sik Yoon

Previous Picks: Chuck Liddell (round 1), Forrest Griffin (round 2) and Wanderlei Silva (round 3), Andrei Arlovski (round 4), Mirko Cro Cop (round 5), Rashad Evans (round 6), Tim Sylvia (round 7), Fabricio Werdum (round 8 ), Thiago Silva (round 9) , Seregi Kharitonov (round 10), Brian Stann (round 11), Renato Sobral (round 12), Roger Gracie (round 13), Shane Carwin (round 14), Brett Rogers (round 15), Melvin Manhoef (round 16), Semmy Schilt (round 17), Pedro Rizzo (round 18), Jeremy Williams (round 19), Houston Alexander (round 20) , and Wilson Gouveia (round 21)

Analysis: I had several guys to choose from. Exciting fighters, fighters that would make the purists fap with joy, and fighters that would be cute names to wrap it up. But I’m sticking with what I do and filling out a fun roster. Yoon has shown more improvement in this game than any other single fighter I can think of. He went from getting absolutely demolished by Saku in his opening MMA fight to losing a closer decision to staying very strong and not getting beat up by Rampage all in three fights. After his 0-4 start he’s put together nothing but wins and continues to look brighter and brighter with each and every fight. Yoon is using his judo brilliantly and has developed an even greater ground game now. At the rate of improvement he’s showing he could well be beating Anderson Silva in 5 seconds within 10 fights.

22.6 Adam Morgan: Marcelo Garcia

Previous Picks: Georges St. Pierre (round 1), Kimbo Slice (round 2), Jake Shields (round 3), Carlos Condit (round 4), Diego Sanchez (round 5), Matt Hughes (round 6), Josh Koscheck (round 7), Shinya Aoki (round 8 ), Matt Sera (round 9), Eddie Alvarez (round 10), Ben Rothwell (round 11), Thiago Alves (round 12), Karo Parisyan (round 13), Gina Carano (round 14), Cain Velasquez (round 15), Tara LaRosa (round 16), Gray Maynard (round 17), Wagnney Fabiano (round 18), “Razor” Rob McCullough (round 19), Cheick Kongo (round 20), and Paul Buentello (round 21)

Analysis: The world’s best pound for pound grappler is still left in the very last round at the very last pick? They usually call this pick Mr. Irrelevant in the NFL Draft, but Garcia is anything but. He’s 0-1 in MMA due to a nasty cut that took place during the fight but you can’t deny Marcelo’s potential. He’s won multiple world championships in BJJ, back-to-back-to-back Abu Dhabi Championships in his weight class, and has submitted a who’s who of the MMA and grappling world in the process. Shinya Aoki, Jake Shields, Diego Sanchez, Mike Fowler, Kurt Pellegrino, Gabriel Gonzaga, Renzo Gracie, and the list goes on and on.

He needs work on his overall MMA game and that’s why he’s teamed up with arguably the best camp in the world, American Top Team. With the best arm drags in the business and a slew of nasty jiu jitsu tricks up his sleeve, Garcia is one of the best prospects in all of mixed martial arts. To think that the other promoters slept on a talent like Garcia is a little surprising to me, but I will gladly take him with my last pick.

• mmaguy says:

bobby lashley? come on..

• Sam Cupitt says:

The link to rounds 1&2 has been fixed.

• TCB says:

I can’t believe Kurt pellegrino never got picked. One of the most exciting fighters to watch.he put on a clinic vs diaz tho he got caught late round. If pay to watch him over slice anyday

• Dave says:

No Marcus Davis? Especially with some of the reaching pics in the last couple of rounds of fighters that may never compete or may only have one or two fights left in them. For me, a win against Swick makes Davis a clear top 10 WW.

• Vern says:

No Genki Sudo?

• mo says:

SO where do you guys go from here? I know there was talk about setting up a pay-per-view event, but i think with putting together a promotion you really have to think about if you can last. If you put on one great show and that is it, well i would think it is useless and a big waste of money. The draft was a great idea, and hopefully you guys continue this in some way or another

• Jye says:

Alright I’ll be the first one to give my opinion on the drafts. I gotta say that there wasn’t much in it between my top 3 at all. I liked the steal of Marcelo Garcia in the last round (probably cause i mentioned it after rd 16 or so..) and that probably swayed me a fair bit. Anyway here’s my preference:

1. Adam Morgan
    2. Mike Huckaby
    3. Sam Cupitt
    4. Sam Caplan
    5. Matt Cava
    6.Ram Maramba

I gave big points to Morgan’s WW division as it leaves a lot of options for big fights on multiple cards, the same with Cupitt’s LW division. I just feel that WW has always been a bigger draw the LW so that made a bit of an impact. Plus with GSP the guarantee to sell out in any event in Canada makes a big difference. Plus the fact that Kimbo is a major draw for casual MMA fans.

• croyalporter says:

1) Matt Cava by a mile – he went with the philosophy of fighters who win, and ultimately, that’s what athletes are judged by in this, and any other, sport.
    2) Ram – A little bit all over the board, but with three fighters to build from in the very short term (Couture,) the present (Rampage,) and the future (Faber,) he’s got a roster full of solid guys and very few misses.
    3) Huckaby – I think people will want to watch his promotion. Take a bunch of big guys and let them beat on each other–it’s a good organizational philosophy to draw in the casual fan.
    4) Morgan – I think he wasted two picks on the female fighters, but overall, his talent pool is still OK, and he should have some fights worth watching.
    5) Cupitt – Yeah, he started rising a few rounds back…and then lost me with his last two picks. Saku, yeah, maybe, but Rickson Gracie…I don’t believe the hype. Sorry.
    6) Caplan – I don’t know if I qualify as a “hardcore fan” or not, but I am unimpressed with the attempt to pander to the wrestling fan by filling your roster with a bunch of guys who are going to have to wait to compete for a while until Vince’s steroids flush out of their system. I understand your strategy, and I’m not saying it’s the worst idea in the world, but it’s one I can’t get behind at all.

• Jye says:

I agree that Cava does have a lot of quality fighters in there. But if you look at the rosters, you don’t see that many quality matchups for the top guys over their next 2 to 3 fights. I like the BJ Penn Sherk matchup that he has. And that would be my top pick for a first main-event, but after sherk or BJ when then who’s next….. The same with Silva, there’s the potential matchup with Lindland which would be a good fight, but if Silva wins there isn’t many matchups there that would draw a lot of PPV buys.

• SteveXtreme says:

When can we vote on who has the best roster? Great idea having the draft guys. I’ve really enjoyed reading each round. Yall had very interesting picks and will be hard to pick a clear winner.

• croyalporter says:

Understandable, but at the same time, no promotion exists for any length of time with only 22 fighters. Virtually all of these rosters are only good for a few ppvs, unless they’re suplemented with “free agents” from the pool of undrafted fighters. Cava’s group, to me, has the best long-term potential with the quality of the fighters regardless of match-ups. Other match-ups are out there; just look at some of the fighters that didn’t get drafted at just the LW class: Thiago Tavares, Kurt Pellegrino, Spencer Fisher, Bart Palaszewski, Ryan Schultz, Deividas Taurosevicius, Luiz Firmino, Luiz Azeredo, etc. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. The same goes for the other weight classes.

• the Levi says:

with a draft this short there is going to be a lot of quality fighters left undrafted. i know 22 rounds seems like alot but when there is only 6 fictional orgs. that is only 132 fighter drafted. i think 8 more rounds should have happened to get the top 180 fighters inthe world.

1. Mike Huckaby. i like his philosophy of stacking 2 div. he has the best Lhwt div. by far, and his Hwt div is pretty good,even possibly the best.

2. Sam Caplan . has a real good Hwt div. the only thing i don’t like is the wrestlers taking in the last rounds. if the wrestlers work out then this will be the best Hwt div.

3. Matt Cava . decent Mwt div. some decent match ups including some rematches for Anderson Silva. even Penn vs. Pulver 3.

4. Adam Morgan . the Wwt div. is stacked with 3 different Wwt champs. if you want tosee the best Wwts this is the org. to watch.

5. Sam Cupitt a real good Lwt div. this is where all the best Lwts not named BJ Penn fight.

6. Ram Maramba should have focused on less div. lost out on having a marqee div. for his org. evrey one else has a least one stacked div.

I surprised that no one took Hwt the Manic Hisanic Eddie Sanchez – Lhwt the Monster Kevin Randleman – Mwt the PredatorPatrick Cote – Wwt the Irish Hand Grenade Marcus Davis & Anthony Rumble Johnson

• croyalporter says:

My inital take on Cupitt’s first card (ignoring his hideous plan of having Saku vs. Rickson-by-armbar)
    Tito Ortiz vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
    Frank Shamrock vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
    Gesias Calvancante vs. Yves Edwards
    Takanori Gomi vs. Josh Thompson
    Roger Huerta vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida
    Cung Le vs. Tim Kennedy
    Stephan Bonnar vs. Vitor Belfort
    Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida
    Joe Stevenson vs. Nate Diaz

• L Grant says:

Wow, these last two rounds really sucked. Ha!

Cava wins in my opinion. I thought Cupitt was going to take it with the Clay Guida, Nate Diaz, and Bisping picks in the middle rounds. But, the Rickson and Sakuraba picks just ruined it.

I really like Cava’s line up. He’s got the most talent on any given roster, and although he doesn’t have a huge superstar like Kimbo or Chuck, he really doesn’t need one to be successful. His org can grind it out with live gate revenue in large markets where the die hards will show up.

The other orgs will start bringing attention to MMA with their star power, and eventually Cava can start throwing out some impossible to ignore cross promotional challenges. When his fighters decimate the competition his org will reign supreme.

If the other orgs refuse to set up the fights, his aggressive marketing campaign will simply imply that they’re afraid to lose.

The fact that the other orgs try to duck him will be what ends up making him successful.