UFC 87: Seek and Destroy officially announced

brock_lesnar_in_2003.jpg This past weekend the UFC officially announced the scheduling of UFC 87: Seek and Destroy in Minneapolis, MN at the Target Center on August 9.

In addition to the event announcement, the UFC also made it official that Brock Lesnar will be taking on former UFC heavyweight champion Mark Coleman in a featured match. Lesnar is a Minnesota native.

Another Minnesota-based fighter will also be featured on the card, as Roger Huerta will be taking on Kenny Florian in a lightweight encounter. It is believed that the winner of the fight will become the number one contender for the UFC lightweight title.

UFC 87 will be the UFC’s first-ever event in Minnesota.

“I am excited to be heading to Minnesota and Target Center with the first ever UFC in the state,” UFC President Dana White is quoted as saying in an official release by the promotion. “UFC fans there are going to be blown away by this event – this fight between Brock Lesnar and Mark Coleman is going to be explosive, a battle between the original monster wrestler and the new breed of monster wrestler.”

Tickets for Seek and Destroy will go on sale to the general publlic on Sunday, May 25 at noon CT. The UFC Fight Club pre-sale will start on May 22 at 10 a.m. CT. There will be a second pre-sale for UFC newsletter subscribers on May 24 at 10 a.m. CT.

• Jason Brewer says:

Yeah wrestler vs. wrestler usually does end up being both compelling and explosive…yet another UFC card I won’t be watching…

• clint notestine says:

Old man strength + roids + youth + roids x wrestling = boring

• Kelvin says:

They may add GSP/Fitch to this card….being that Minn. is REAL close to Canada.

• UFC69INTX says:

LOOKING FORWARD TO HUERTA VS FLORIAN

• Jay says:

can’t wait !! I’ll be there!!

• ctownhood says:

I disagree Jason. Usually when 2 guys are from similar backgrounds, it makes for an interesting fight. I think the wrestling will be canceled out, and we’ll see more of a striking match between them, and I think Lesnar will pound Coleman out. The Huerta – Florian fight should be nonstop action!! And if Fitch – GSP is on this card as well, how can you not be excited?

• Jay K. says:

Does the octagon have enough space underneath to store a chair for a chairshot to the head via “foreign object”? Does K. Shamrock enter the octagon by cutting a hole in the middle and then double teaming Lesnar for a Coleman victory? Does Sting drop down from the rafters?

Enquiring minds want to know!!

I want to know!

:D

• Tanner says:

I wonder why people seem to think that this headlining a PPV isn’t the same as having Kimbo headline the EliteXC show. They’re both unproven and have had 2 fights. Its just funny that EliteXC takes all this criticism while no one noticies that they’ve done it in the UFC.

• bjjdenver says:

#7 Tanner…

To me, it is similar. A guy who has a big following, lots of potential and is unproven. Which one am I describing? Both.

However, i think much of the opinion is separated by one being a legit NCAA wrestler, and the other being a Youtube brawler.

MMA purists will be more accepting of Lesner due to those credentials, while at the same time bashing Kimbo as a thug due to his videos, where the only really bad thing I saw was the posse he had with him.

To me, it boils down to business. Both guys are huge draws and the debate on how deserving they are, only serves as fuel for the fire.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I hope these meat sacks leave the wrestling at their gyms and pound the crap out of each other for three rounds. A high kick to Coleman’s dome would absolutely make my night.

• DPK says:

There has to be another big fight added to this card, there is no way that Lesnar (1-1 in MMA) can headline against a 42 year old who hasn’t fought since 96.

I am higher on Lensar than Slice in MMA, due to his NCAA background, and that he is 4 years younger as he gets his start, but there is no way he should be a headline on a UFC card at this point.

GSP vs. Fitch would be a nice add, or maybe Henderson vs. Franklin.

• Sam Cupitt says:

I hope you meant 2006.

I remember someone stating that the UFC wont make Lesnar/Coleman the main event due to “political reasons”… aka fighters getting pissed that a fighter who is 1-1 is earning three times as much as them and gets to headline a PPV.

Silva vs. Okami would be a nice main event.

• DPK says:

Yeah, 2006, didn’t check before I hit submit.

I think Silva is down until at least fall due to surgery.