James Thompson explains decision to leave Xtreme Couture

106419_pxwjtxibyz_vlarge.jpg James “The Colossus” Thompson made headlines last year when he announced his decision to relocate to the United States and Las Vegas in order to train at Randy Couture’s Xtreme Couture gym.

At the time, the feeling was that by training at Xtreme Couture, Thompson’s overall MMA game would begin to evolve as a result. However, against Brett Rogers during his EliteXC debut in Miami this past February, Thompson still opened the fight with his patented “Gong ‘N Dash” maneuver in which he charges his opponent. And while Thompson did put Rogers against the cage in an apparent attempt to take him off his feet, he was unsuccessful in doing so and was knocked out at 2:24 of round 1.

Thompson will return to the cage next Saturday in the main event of EliteXC’s debut on CBS when he takes on Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson. But for the fight, Thompson has returned to his native UK and is no longer working with Xtreme Couture. Instead, he’s been preparing for his fight at a camp called London Street Fighters.

But for Thompson, the decision to not train at Xtreme Couture for the Slice fight was one made based on logic.

“I’m training with a team called London Street Fighters at the moment in England,” Thompson responded during a conference call on Thursday when asked to talk about his preparation for the fight. “You know I spent some time actually (deciding where to train). I joined a great team with great people. I learn from them. The problem was Shawn Thompkins has done a lot of work with Bas and Kimbo. I didn’t want to put him in such an awkward position. Shawn is a great guy. So I started looking for all the teams and followed up on one in England. It’s all been going great for me.”

• thomas says:

this guy has such a glass jaw its unbelieveable, so will anyone be surprised if thompson gets KO’d?

and when kimbo does win against such a weak opponent the kimbo hype train will continue to roll forward, but wheres all the hype for brett rogers who would have done the same thing?

kimbo needs to be but against a legitimate MMA opponent that isnt a has been (tank) or somone that my grandma could knockout (thompson)

maybe throw him in the ring with somone like ricco rodriguez, who although is past his prime, has a decent game and is respectably aged (30) and could really show us what kimbo is made out of.

• Rich says:

That might be London Shoot Fighters, not street, he might have been misquoted. They’re one of the biggest UK camps.

• Brent says:

I doubt he’s doing much training for the Kimbo fight – lots of rehearsals, though.

• Ryder Die says:

James Thompson will be a very slight step up in competition for Kimbo. He probably wont win but there is a chance he lands the lucky one and out goes Kimbo and the lights for CBS Saturday Night Fights.

• Patrick says:

Here is a tip, if you get the chance to train at Xtreme Couture, do not fucking leave that place. What a dumbass, I do not care about the reasons behind it, what an idiotic choice.

• London SHOOT Fighters, not street fighters

• Adam Morgan says:

I think Thompson is probably doing quite a bit of training by, you know, watching a lot of DVDs.

• Handover Fist says:

Kimbo’s opponents over their last 22 fights have a combined record of 3-19. The press this guy continues to get is dragging down the entire sport.

We can only hope the fans aren’t giving this guy as much attention as the MMA blogs are…

• HexRei says:

@#5 jeez, calm down man. it’s not like he can’t come back. fighters frequently do their pre-fight training at a different camp if there are affiliations in the camp they are currently at. who knows if the camp he’s at is any good, but unless there is more to this story he should be able to return post-fight.

• HexRei says:

I’d love to see Antonio Silva vs Kimbo. That would be a real test for Slice.

• Patrick says:

#9 I’m pretty calm man, I just think that was a retarded decision on his part to leave a camp even with affiliation problems. Xtreme C has some of the best grappling people in the game training folks as well as amazing stand up coaches. Those two parts of the game are what Thompson has to utilize to win this fight (I can’t see either of em pulling out some jits) so leaving a camp that is famous for its wrestling was probly an awful choice. The best shot Thompson has at Kimbo is grappling with him and getting Kimbo on his back (a KO is an outside shot) so leaving XC in my opinion = fucking retarded move.

Again, I’m calm, just kinda curse a lot normally. I think it’s a terrible decision on Thompson’s part, even if he is just doing the pre-fight stuff there and going back, he should of worked his entire game there where there are proven winners and coaches.