Dana White not ruling out Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn II

Kevin Iole of Yahoo! is indicating that UFC president Dana White isn’t ruling out lightweight champion B.J. Penn’s proposal to move back up to welterweight in order to engage Georges St. Pierre in a rematch:

White has long discouraged Penn from jumping divisions and urged him to clean out the lightweights before thinking of a return to welterweight.

And while White wouldn’t mind seeing Penn make one last defense against the winner of the planned Aug. 9 bout between Kenny Florian and Roger Huerta, he conceded at Saturday’s postfight news conference it may be time for Penn-St. Pierre II.

“I think there’s one more interesting fight for him (at lightweight), but it isn’t something I wouldn’t talk to him about,” White said of a potential fight with St. Pierre.

I think the UFC is in a position with Penn where they can do no wrong with him. If he stays at 155 lbs. and faces the winner of the UFC 87 lightweight bout between Roger Huerta and Kenny Florian, then that’s a good thing. And if he moves up to welterweight to fight St. Pierre again, I don’t think that’s a bad idea either.

• Wang Chung says:

it would be a huge fight. and very interesting, but overall i feel that even though it would likely be competitive, i just don’t think penn will be able to take out st. pierre at this point. i understand he’s incredibly well rounded and dangerous, but in my mind the first fight is badly colored by the eye poke which obviously affected st. pierre negatively. penn looked very good last night but i just think if you put that guy in with the guy st. pierre has become as of late, it wouldn’t be a good outcome for penn(great for the fans though).

• paddiosf says:

I can see him moving up to fight GSP more than GSP moving up to fight Anderson Silva..BJ can easily be a WW more so than GSP moving up and fighting a much bigger and more devasting fighter in Silva…GSP is a much better fighter than there first fight…

• JOe K. says:

Guida vs Penn!

• Nepal says:

I think BJ is a more dangerous fight for GSP than Anderson is. Anderson would likely have a 5-10 pound weight advantage come fight time. i.e. if a catch weight of 180, GSP would likely weight 190 and Anderson 195. If the fight is at 185, GSP would still weight 190 and Anderon at 200. I’m assuming Anderson puts on 15 pounds after his weigh in. GSP says he normally puts 15 or 16 pounds on after the weigh in. I think with GSP’s power and ground control he could control Anderson on the ground.

BJ’s punching is just plain much better than GSP’s. Faster, more accurate, harder, better combo’s. On the ground, BJ’s such a wizard that subbing him or even g’n’p’ing him would be really hard…. way harder than doing it to Serra.

For Dana, it’s all about the PPV buy rates so if he can milk a bigger PPV, then he’ll make the fight happen…. either one of them.

Since I’m a GSP nuthugger, I’m hoping for the Anderson fight.

• Rich S. says:

ya.. right now, BJ’s the best.. but only in the LW division… GSP’s arguably the best [or second best] p4p.. not just in his division..
    idk.
    this would be a horrible idea by penn.. what’s so wrong with just getting a title and holding on to it.. He beat Hughes a few years back… got the title.. and just left.. and now.. he gets the title.. then makes it OFFICIAL..and wants to leave immediately.. again..
    he needs to just stay in the division and get a few more fights in that the fans want to see.. like:
    penn/guida
    penn/florian
    penn/huerta
    penn/diaz
    penn/griffin

any of those are possible in the future..

• paddiosf says:

Penn is going to work through all these guys..Including Florian and Huerta…I like all these guys…But Penn skill level and experence is leaps and bounds better than all these gus..BJ only worst enemy is been himself with conditioning etc etc..if he comes in not in shape that’s they only way he losses…

• cyph says:

I’ll be the first to say it: I’ll take Penn over GSP at 170.

• Rich S. says:

#6,
    i agree.. i don’t think any of those guys have what it takes to beat BJ at this point.. but.. he might as well put them on his resume’.. plus.. wins over them would just make his record look better..

• Jake says:

BJ penn is probably the best naturally gifted fighter in MMA right now but GSP has a huge size and strength advantage over BJ, not to mention GSP just keeps getting faster and stronger everyday. BJ is an average size 155 and GSP is a huge 170…..Sorry but GSP will win this fight again and in a more convincing fashion than last.

• Patrick says:

The only way I could support Penn doing this is if he spent the time well and did some serious clean bulking up beforehand, he’s not just going to need weight, he’s going to need serious muscle. When he’s gone up before he kinda just threw dieting out the window it looked like, if he does it clean and builds up he’d have a serious chance. It would be a pretty even fight in my mind if B.J. went up in weight correctly, would love to see it happen. B.J., GSP, Anderson are just in complete control of their divisions so I think that we’ll definitely be seeing them crossover soon enough. The only competitive division right now is LHW and maybe eventually HW if they get their shit in order.

• the one says:

come on richie boy,,,dont you want penn vs gsp????????
    dana, bring them on!!!!,,,bring people what do they want to see…

• Patrick says:

#11, learn to type. You don’t need to put 3 punctuations after every sentence fragment, in fact what the hell is “,,,” even supposed to mean?

• Mikey Gilz says:

I think Florian is the only lightweight that can even make a fight for BJ Penn at LW. Florian will walk through Huerta, and barring slicing up Penn with an elbow, will lose another championship fight. Florian should go to EliteXC and be champion forever.

• DPK says:

Maybe Penn goes up for just the one fight against GSP, then comes back down and cleans out the LW division. Based on his history, he is probably worried about coming in unmotivated and losing a fight to a lesser fighter.

• Mikee says:

Well I will be the second to stick my neck out there and say that I do not see any way for St. Pierre to beat B.J. at all. I think B.J. dominates this fight in all areas, stand-up, ground, wherever and whatever posistion. He will come into the fight with great conditioning and great mental preperation knowing he needs the win to be considered “the best ever.” I still believe he won the first fight as well.

• MMA SKOOL? says:

Actually, I don’t care who BJ Penn fights next. As long as he doesn’t use the same entry music again. I almost cried myself to sleep during that song.