5 Oz. Exclusive: Roy Nelson could be next in line for Kimbo Slice

athlete-roy-nelson.jpgFiveOuncesOfPain.com was informed by IFL President and CEO Jay Larkin earlier this morning that casual talks have taken place between his organization and EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw regarding an inter-promotional fight between IFL heavyweight champion Roy Nelson and Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson.

“If Kimbo wins, we’ll make that match (Nelson vs. Slice) without hesitation,” Larkin said during an exclusive interview with Five Ounces of Pain. “We”ll do in on an IFL card or an Elite card — we don’t care. Promotions working together is the only way for this business to grow.”

Both Larkin and Shaw have worked together for over 20 years and the two were involved with numerous boxing co-promotions while Larkin was the head of SHOWTIME Sports. In fact, both Larkin and Shaw are responsible for the creation one of SHOWTIME’s boxing staples, “ShoBox.”

Nelson recently defeated Brad Imes via TKO in the first round at the IFL’s most recent event in Connecticut on May 16.

Nelson is 13-2 in his MMA career with victories over some of the best heavyweight competition in the IFL, including Fabiano Scherner, Antoine Jaoude, and Bryan Vetell. One of his only losses came against former IFL heavyweight Ben Rothwell in a fight that some believe Nelson won. He and Slice also have something in common, and that’s a victory over Bo Cantrell.

In addition to Cantrell, Slice also holds a first round knockout over Tank Abbott and finished former boxing champion Ray Mercer in the first round of an MMA exhibition.

• Jaeger says:

oh hummm………..it doesn’t matter Nelson won’t be a big enough name for anyone.

you know seeings how Kimbo has fought the 20 or so “cans” EXC has fed him , and now another “no name” it won’t be good enough. Heck by that time Kimbo will have amassed so much martial arts experience If he doesn’t fight the winner of Fedor and Tim it’ll be because they are trying to protect him.

• Rex says:

I dont know about this matchup, Nelson is no joke. Nelson has mean power and good wrestling for a big man. I would be hesitant if I were Gary Shaw on this one.

• matt says:

roy has amazing ground control and huge power. i’m hesitant to see where kimbo could win.

• JCaine357 says:

Prediction: Kimbo tries to knock Roy’s head into 2009, but he takes some hits and somehow Roy gets past Kimbo’s strikes and takes it to the ground where Kimbo regrets not having a serious ground game. Good night Slice.

• AG Silver says:

I will preface this comment by stating that though I am not a Kimbo hater, I do have my doubt of how good of an overall MMA fighter he is. That said, put in proper perspective, EliteXC may be doing exactly the right thing with Kimbo.

I think most fans (casual and hardcore) are in agreement that we don’t know how good (or bad) Kimbo is on the ground (esp. in light of the way his fights have ended and also given his “fight history” on YouTube). It can (and often does) take years of training for a fighter to develop any particular aspect of their MMA game. Despite all the haters that continue to have doubts about Kimbo on the ground, Gary Shaw has been able to build more hype around Kimbo, giving him cupcake opponents, while Kimbo continues to train with Bas Rutten and his personnel.

I suspect that by the time Kimbo takes on a ‘legit’ opponent, we will be pleasantly surprised by the skill he will display. Ok, maybe not all of us but I suspect MOST of us will be pleasantly surprised… lol. But this rumor of Kimbo v Big Country would definitely give us an idea how much (or how little) Kimbo has progressed under Bas’ tutelage.

• JOe K. says:

I would love to see IFL, EliteXC and Affliction all work together. They could take on the UFC much better.

• FJ says:

Roy is no joke. but I dont know why Gary Shaw would be hesitant. Both fighters are very marketable and would be a huge fight

• woooburn says:

while we’re talking heavyweights, has there been any developments with the arlovski situation? wasn’t he supposed to hold a press conference this week?

maybe i missed it.

• Matt C. says:

Roy Nelson is no tomato can. 5 Oz of Pain would like to educate the youtube Kimbo fans on the subject of MMA. Read articles by seasoned writers of the sport and watch real MMA fights. Then feel free to comment about the validity of Kimbo’s next opponent.

• Paul Balsom says:

I think that Kimbo fans don’t watch his fights because of his opponent, they watch to see Kimbo knock somebody out. I think that this fight would satisfy both casuals and hardcores, because Kimbo will more than likely not knock out Roy within 60 seconds, so casuals will get to see more Kimbo. For the hardcore, this fight will serve as an intriguing first test for Kimbo, and a victory over Roy Nelson will hold some water with hardcores. Personally, I think it is a great next step and a great matchup.

• Jaeger says:

#8 I couldn’t agree more. But instead of reading it’s easier to repeat the talking points of people who seem particularly witty and funny.

I think it’s a better idea if we all just keep blindly hating on Kimbo and his opponents until it’s someone from the UFC’s top 10.

Kimbo’s only crime is being somewhat well known BEFORE he entered the sport.

but alas I’m off to watch the most technical fight in the history of MMA , the most important fight ever, The fight that changed the sport by the two most important and and technically sound fighters the sport had to offer at the time. The two guys who did more to deserve a headlining bout than any other in mma history. I’m watching the TUF 1 finale. forrest v. bonner

• Matt says:

Jaeger both of your posts were fantastic for all the right reasons. They made me laugh and addressed both the haters and the fanboys. Good show.

• Greg says:

This would be a great fight. Nelson is on the top of his game and it’s time Kimbo fought someone who was on the way up rather than the way down.

• JCaine357 says:

I agree that EliteXC is probably doing the smart thing and building up their posterboy while he develops the ground skills to announce his official arrival as an MMA professional (whenever that test may come).

Otherwise, you end up with a Houston Alexander who could have really sent shockwaves by demonstrating some incredibile ground skills at the Prudential Center but, instead, fell victim to the standard call out in MMA for knockout artists; “Ya, but what can he do on the ground?” His loss to a jiu-jitsu guy sent the standard message: “This is MMA, not boxing.”

I think nelson would be a great test of Kimbo’s skills. I also think Kimbo would be a great test of nelson’s chin.

Let’s make it happen people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Phil says:

Jaeger, I have no problem with Kimbo fighting the cans he is fighting, and this fight with Nelson will actually be a really good fight for him. The problem is that he is fighting these people, and Shaw is calling him the Mike Tyson, Michael Jordan, and Tiger Woods of MMA.

A fight against Nelson would be a great fight to see how good Kimbo really is, but destroying Nelson wouldn’t make him the Michael Jordan of MMA.

I’m fine with him not fighting top 10 heavyweights right now, but you can’t be giving him the matchups he’s had so far and then turn around and hype him the way Shaw is.

I myself have no problem with Kimbo, my problem is the way Shaw runs his mouth about him. Does he have the potential to be the Michael Jordan of MMA? Who knows, but we won’t know that until he faces some actual competition. Nelson would be a good fight, but still not good enough to live up to the hype Shaw keep spitting out.

• AG Silver says:

Does this mean we’re all rooting for Kimbo Saturday night? LOL

• Chris says:

If Kimbo and Roy fought i’d be there in a second. Roy is a machine. He would put up an awesome fight. he destroyed brad imes at the ifl show at mohegan.

• Trsigley says:

Nelson is a much more accomplished fighter than Thomspon. This would be a good step for Kimbo. You would not hear a peep out of me with this matchup. Ricco Rodriguez would also be another good matchup. I don’t hate Kimbo, but I do hate that they are wasting what is left of his short career on cans. Nelson is not a can.

• Adam k says:

yeah now we all have to pray that kimbo doesn’t get caught with a lucky punch tomorrow night so the chances of a fight with nelson are better. it would be a great fight and co-promotional fights are exactly what the ifl and elitexc need to do to further the sport.

• Jaeger says:

# 12 AG Silver

I don’t know…. I’m rooting for a good rating and a decent show so that MMA gets more outlets to provide us with GOOD free cards, and the general population becomes more educated and we can all see Headline fights that are both entertaining and technical.

• [...] FiveOuncesOfPain.com is reporting that IFL Heavyweight Champion, Roy Nelson, may be next in line to face Kimbo Slice, providing Kimbo Slice is able to get past James Thompson tomorrow night. It appears IFL CEO Jay Larkin has confirmed that “casual talks” have already taken place between EliteXC and the IFL. According to Larkin, formal talks about a Nelson vs. Slice fight have yet to take place but discussions could intensify Monday morning, depending on the outcome of Slice’s heavyweight bout during EliteXC’s debut on CBS this Saturday night. [...]

• undeadbob says:

Kimbo can’t fight cans forever can he?

• bjjdenver says:

Thompson never lived up to the expectations placed on him when he entered Pride and is now on a major downswing, career wise.

Nelson is doing exactly what is expected of him and more so far, and is one of the hot young HW prospects in mma.

If fights were determined by appearance, this would be over quick, and Sherk would have destroyed BJ, and so on…

Nelson is for real and is a top 15 or 20 HW, with some having him on the fence of the top 10.

Nothing at all against Kimbo, but I would take Roy without hesitation, at this point.

• Pierre says:

Personally i would love to see this match up. Nelson is most def. no joke barring the beer belly he is real agile and got underrated ground skills. Plus with this the IFL could use some sorely needed mainstream promotion and get all the Kimbo haters out there to shut up about him not facing any real competition. If this takes place i will applaud Gary Shaw and Jay Larkin for truly putting the Fighters First and not the Promotion.

• bjjdenver says:

#12 and 14…

I’m with you.

The better EXC and Kimbo do on Saturday, the more positive things will happen for all of mma, imo. i see a success leading to a big TV deal for UFC and the better any promotion does, the more pressure it puts on the others to step it up a notch, which spells good things for fans.

I also believe that the purging of the UFC ranks of unsuccessful, non entertaining fighters, is a result of “The Kimbo Effect”. I think the UFC is being pressured some by their fans to put on even more exciting shows. Jake O’brien for an example.

• Rich S. says:

Roy’s too sloppy.. Kimbo’s stance is better..
    i would love to see Kimbo KO Roy.. bring it on..

• bjjdenver says:

#16…well stated.

• bjjdenver says:

And we know Kimbo can’t choke Roy, he would just hold his breath, lol!

• GassedOut says:

I’m actually with AG Silver. It’s not so much that I hate Kimbo, I think the boy has some skills. But he’s yet to fight some real competition. This would certainly be a good test, and you wouldn’t hear a sound from me about the matchup, though I bet Gary Shaw might think twice about it.

• TIno says:

I’m SO sick and tired of hearing about Kimbo Slice. In my humble opinion it’s time for MMA organizations to recognize Polynesian MMA fighters more. A perfect opportunity would be to allow someone like Mark Hunt, Frank Sefo or ‘Big E’ Eric Pele knock Kimbo out cold and I guarantee you that any (3) of the previously mentioned MMA fighers would make quick work of Mr. ‘No Slice’. Remember, Hunt is the only fighter to continue fighting after Cro Cop’s dangerous kick.

• Patrick says:

Eh, Nelson’s a start I guess. At least he isn’t known for being a glass jaw.

• Patrick says:

Also, #18. “Box a brawler – brawl a boxer.”

• [...] Posted by thecoylewis Five Ounces of Pain | 5 Oz. Exclusive: Roy Nelson could be next in line for Kimbo Slice I almost jumped out of my chair at work when I read this article. For those, myself included, [...]

• Rich S. says:

“I suspect that by the time Kimbo takes on a ‘legit’ opponent, we will be pleasantly surprised by the skill he will display”

i’ve been trying to get that point across for MONTHS..

• TheKOPunch says:

Everyone forgets Roy’s chin has been tested by alot of fighters and Kimbo’s hasn’t. Remember aot of the street fights Kimbo has been in were against average joes, not trained fighters. Roy Nelson is very knowledgeable fighter and definitely not an average joe. Kimbo needs alot more time on the ground to even be considered being a dominant fighter. One fight comes to my mind when I heard of this fight – Frank Mir vs Brock Lesnar. No matter how much damage Brock was doing to Frank, Frank still showed Lesnars weakness and exposed it, where? On the ground. Roy will win this fight.

• DPK says:

IF this fight happens, and IF Kimbo could beat Roy, then I would start buying into the Kimbo hype. Average HWs get beat up by Nelson, only an above average HW is going to beat him.

I personally don’t see this fight happening, I just think Gary Shaw is too much of a chicken shit, plus in the last month he talked about having Kimbo fight Mike Tyson, Tito Ortiz, and now Roy Nelson. A big part of me is just hoping he gets knocked out this weekend, and this all goes away.

• benjamin says:

I think kimbo will decide for himself if he wants a title shot with the IFL world champ, by beating Thompson he’s well positined to do that. CBS working with the Elite XC, Shaw working with kimbo, Big Bas rutten working with slice and even gold berg and dont forget the main man Mr. Jay Larkin combined with the IFL’s desire to push into the fight world with style. This idea is a win for the sport and best of all great for the die hard fans of MMA great work Ifl/Jay and affiliated partners of the IFL. ps peep that stock today.

• Zack says:

promotions working together has nothing to do with whether or not MMA will grow. It’s just a sign of rats fighting over scraps.

• Jackyl says:

Of course it will grow if promotions work together. That is how they are going to give us the matches we want to see. Sylvia vs Fedor is a good example. I wouldn’t say it’s a case of rats fighting over scraps. Because the fact is that there are more talented fighters than can fit in one org. The UFC is already having a problem getting their fighters more than one or two fights a year. As the UFC drops fighters they have to go somewhere right? These other orgs have just enough steam to be attractive to some of these fighters. Nelson is an excellent step up for Kimbo. I love how everyone talks about him fighting cans when the guy has had two pro fights. He’s not a freak show. He’s a street fighter that wants to try his hand at prize fighting, and right now MMA is on the rise and more lucrative than boxing. It also plays a little more to his strengths with the smaller gloves and more open rule set. He’s coming along slow just like any other fighter. Anyone that knows anything about marketing would understand why he has the main event. This is the first MMA show on network TV. They are trying to appeal to a bigger audience. Kimbo is known from his internet fights. I actually like the sales pitch about how he got his start online and is now trying to break in to MMA. They needed to go with the most marketable fighter they had. So they suck in the casual fans with this event. If the ratings are good enough, they can put together a monster card for the next one and really show off their fighters. Also don’t expect Kimbo to languish in the can aisle. If he wins tonight, and wins against Nelson, I expect him to get a really big match up. Maybe against an EliteXC top heavy like Bigfoot, or maybe even a fight with Tito. Personally I think Kimbo would own Tito. Tito’s takedowns are not what they used to be(look at the Machida fight), and I don’t see Tito outstriking him. I’m sure that ProElite understands that they can’t hold Kimbo back forever. After tonight it will start stepping up

• Latino Heat says:

What a GREAT step forward this would be for both the IFL and EXC. I would personally love to see this match up. I don’t think we’ve had a chance to see Kimbo really show us what he’s got and I’m not so sure that tonights fight against Thompson is going to show us. So a fight with a proven warrior like Nelson would be great!

• DPK says:

There is no way this fight happens right now, not after the way Kimbo looked against Thompson last night. Looks like Shaw is trying to set up a Kimbo v Rogers fight.

• Latino Heat says:

WOW! What a disappointment! Kimbo showed how much of a rookie he is. Which is fine. I like Kimbo but, they never should have headlined him. Worse yet one of only two worth while fights, Lawler vs. Smith, ended in rediculous fashion. Scott Smith was completely fine to go on. I don’t think there was any fight that ended well. All were stopped too early and most were not competitve. The IFL puts on way better shows with much better match ups. What a let down to such a great opportunity for MMA.

Roy Nelson would DESTROY Kimbo!!

• JCaine357 says:

Kimbo started to look like he might have a ground game and then it became pretty apparent he was lost after he got trapped under Thompson – no hip movement, nothing. I would still love to see Nelson / Slice because I believe Slice could learn from his mistakes and this fight could be a redeemer for him, if he wins.

I believe Nelson would take it though.

• Adam k says:

OK….granted kimbo gassed out and his ground game was less than spectacular…he still showed powerful and most of all, entertaining standup. Roy Nelson would no even think about taking Kimbo down. We would see a rediculous brawl if the IFL and EXC could put this together. I need to see this fight.

• vmad says:

Big Country would rock Kimbo…. I agree it would be ridiculous to see, so they definitely need to get this done.

• cindy says:

fierce competitors. this is gonna be ridiculous, i gotta see this.

• JCaine357 says:

In response to:

# 26 Rich S. Says:
    May 30th, 2008 at 1:31 pm
    Roy’s too sloppy.. Kimbo’s stance is better..
    i would love to see Kimbo KO Roy.. bring it on..

did you see nelson fight rothwell in 07? Stance isn’t the deciding factor…but I agree it is important. Consider what happened to Kimbo when stance wasn’t an option…I believe he was on his back…

• DBFogg says:

Kimbo has absolutely no chance for a victory against Roy Nelson, not saying that Roy Nelson is the best in the bus. just saying that Kimbo is a small fish in a big pond, shoot, he might just be floating bait. Roy will probably put him on his back, then drive his head through the mat.

• JCaine357 says:

Roy is some kind of genetic freak. The guy has cardio, and a ground game. He’s looks like a truck driver, but kicks –s. Think about how much hype would spin around Kimbo v Nelson – you have Big Country v Urban Hip Hop. Let’s do this people. Anyone listening???

• kiaol says:

From what i have seen if it goes standing Kimbo, if it goes anywhere else Nelson, but questionable because Kimbo has bas on his side and Nelson is no stranger of standing, either way if it happens it will be one hell of a fight and i wouldn’t want to miss it.

• Chris says:

well said, JCaine. It would be amazing.

• coz says:

Roy Nelson will defeat slice no problem. No matter how many times he gets hit he still keeps going. Once Nelson has him on the ground it will be over for Slice.

• nelsen says:

They need to fight it would bring so much money to the sport!!!! Nelson and Slice are two of the most exciting fighters and bringing the two together is the only way to beat UFC!!!

• Tiny says:

Roy would kill Kimbo. Listen, Kimbo is a bad, bad man no doubt. But, he is not well rounded. Anyone who has seen is fights against REAL fighters (not some dude who has beatin up some guys on the street) Knows Kimbo is lacking in some pretty major areas in MMA. Roy is that well rounded guy that WILL beat Kimbo if given the chance. On another note Jay Hireon is lucky the I.F.L. card in Ney Jersey was cancelled. “Bad” Brad Blackburn would have wrecked him as he did the last time they met…..