The Ultimate Fighter 7: Week 11 Recap

tuf-7.bmpThe show opens with a recap of last week’s fights between C.B. Dollaway and Cale Yarbrough as well as Tim Credeur vs. Dan Cramer with Dollaway and Credeur coming out on top. Amir Sadollah and Jesse Taylor await the winners in the semifinals and this week we’ll see the first of the two semifinal matches with Jesse Taylor taking on Tim Credeur.

As usual every season, during one of the final episodes, we have the coaches’ challenge. Last season it was bowling, the year before it was ping-pong. This year? A game of HORSE. Dana takes the fighters and the coaches to a suite at a hotel that happens to have a half-court basketball court. Forrest tells us that he’s played a little ball in his high school days but hasn’t shot a basketball in over two years. Rampage proclaims himself as the worst basketball player on earth, saying that he’s an asskicker, not a ball player.

Dana offers $10,000 to the coach who wins and $1,000 for the fighters on the winning team. He also offers Rampage a chance to up the ante and says he’ll double the fighter money if he sinks a three-pointer. Rampage sinks the three-pointer off the backboard and it ends up being the only basket he’ll make all night.

Forrest is dead serious about playing some ball and is draining everything. Rampage can’t even make a layup. In my experience, wrestlers are some of the worst basketball players of all time. Rampage is no exception to this rule. He is bricking everything. To seal the deal, Forrest dunks it. Rampage doesn’t even try, concedes defeat, and Forrest and his team win the money. But Rampage says “Forrest still has to see me in the Octagon.” And that’s really what it’s all about isn’t it?

Back at the house, Jesse Taylor gets a terrible haircut that is supposed to be a dollar sign in the back of his hair and transforms into a character that he likes to call “JT Money.” Little does he know that the late 1990′s rapper JT Money wants his royalty check because he’s broke and he only made one rap song that was ever popular, a terrible “jam” called “Who Dat.” But I digress. Lots of the fighters make fun of Jeese’s haircut, saying it looks like a cock and balls. And they’re right.

Jesse and some of the other fighters decide to drink a little and have some fun. Wait, let me rephrase that. Jesse decides to go on an absolute bender and some of the other fighters have some drinks. Jesse is hammered, breaking the tops off of beer bottles and trying to drink out of them. Finally his friend and opponent, Tim Credeur, makes him get into the hot tub. But not before Jesse changed into his bathing suit and pisses in his pants in his room inside the house, leaving a puddle of urine on his floor. Take note that this is the second time that Jesse has pissed his pants on the show.

The next morning, Jesse apparently isn’t even hung over and the focus shifts to the fight between he and Credeur. Jesse has a child, unfortunately for humankind, and tells us that he’s fighting for his son and has sacrificed being with his son to be here on the show. Credeur tells us a similar story about his wife and about how she has encouraged him to stay in the sport when he had considered getting out of it just six months earlier because it was hurting his family and he wasn’t making any money off of it. This is one of the first times where we actually get to know these guys and their story. It makes the fight a little more intriguing to me, personally. These two guys are best friends in the house but say they’re not going to be afraid to inflict damage on one another inside the cage.

After they weigh in, it’s fight time…

Jesse Taylor (Team Forrest) vs. Tim Credeur (Team Forrest)

Round 1

Jesse jabs to keep Credeur at a distance and immediately shoots for the double leg and puts Credeur on his back. Taylor lands some hammer fists, some elbows, and Tim is getting completely manhandled by Taylor on his back. Credeur throws up an armbar attempt that Jesse defends and is able to get back to full guard. Credeur eats some more blows from Taylor on top and is trying to work butterfly guard for a sweep but is unable to maneuever out of Taylor’s top control. Credeur throws up another armbar attempt and then tries to transition to the triangle but both fail and Jesse ends up back in his guard, throwing down more punishment. Round ends with Jesse in Credeur’s guard doling out punishment.

Round 2

Credeur whiffs on a headkick coming out of the box and Jesse takes him down and puts him on his back. The round opens just like the last round with Jesse doling out punishment from top position until Credeur is able to sweep him from butterfly guard and ends up in the mount position. Taylor gives up his back but Tim is unable to secure position and Jesse is able to put him back on the mat on his back and continues to smother him and work from top position. Tim again tries to throw up all kinds of submissions but they are each stuffed and defended by Taylor who keeps him on the mat and continues to work and smother as the round ends.

Round 3

Jesse throws a punch and shoots for the takedown which Credeur is able to defend for a minute but is eventually put on his back once again. Credeur works a sweep and is able to get out but is easily wrestled back to the ground by Taylor. Taylor is absolutely overpowering and smothering in this fight. Credeur once again throws up submission attempts. He throws up a failed armbar and transitions to a triangle choke that looks like it might be a good opportunity but is unable to cinch it in. Taylor powers out and continues to fend off Credeur’s sweep attempts and smothers him for the rest of the round.

Winner: Jesse Taylor via unanimous decision

The two men hug after the fight and Credeur is a little weepy and tells Jesse he earned it. Jesse pukes in a bucket in his corner and proclaims “I had eggs.” Credeur says “I had oatmeal.” Funny moment. Jesse is now in the finals and will face the winner of C.B. Dollaway vs. Amir Sadollah. Or will he?

As the show was going off the air, they showed the usual preview for next week’s show. Obviously there’s the fight between C.B. and Amir but also the promised “most shocking moment” in TUF history. We see Dana showing Rampage and Forrest what seems to be a security tape of someone kicking the window out of a limousine from the inside while the limo is at a red light. Then Dana proceeds to say that the culprit is off the finale and out of the UFC. Early speculation is Jesse. Who else would be dumb enough to do such a thing and jeopardize their opportunity in the UFC? I guess we’ll just have to wait until next week to see.

• Sam Caplan says:

Rampage built a house tonight. Brick city.

• Patrick says:

Unfortunately power bombing basketballs wasn’t the objective :(

Also, I really dislike this Jesse Taylor guy. What the fuck is wrong with him, and on that matter the rest of the people on this show; if you want to be professional athletes and represent the sport of MMA then fucking please… act like adults and not the thugs everyone who hates MMA hopes you’ll act like.

Also, you know what would be great? If they refused to have alcohol on TUF and made people actually like, fucking train and act professional.

I’m so sick of this Real World alcohol bullshit drinking partying crap that has inseminated MMA through TUF. F*ck.

• Ross Gelina says:

Has to be jesse…now think of who is going to fill in, my first pick would be matt brown, but he will be fighting matt aroyyo from season 6 at the finally, so what throw tim back in there since he went the furthest, or will sombody random come back and get a shot….damnet they got me again, toon in next week!! I love this shit…

• Ronin says:

I agree with you Patrick…

• Zack with a ck says:

I agree with most of what you say Patrick, but there’s something loveable about the big goofball JT Coco Monkey. He’s like an overgrown kid with maybe just a touch of the tard.

• JOe K. says:

A few suggestions for TUF:

I agree, no alcohol. They should actually focus on a nutrition regimen and give the fighters a fighter lifestyle not fighter training. An incentive for the UFC would be they could plug (advertise) a ton of supplements/vitamins as well as educate the public.

Get some fighters from different countries (Brazil, Japan, France, hell even Canada) in there. Have it be an international battle. It would show the cultural differences (i.e. senses of humor) as well as paint the sport as an international sport not former wrestlers trying to box.

JOe K.

• Chris says:

I disagree with your thoughts on alcohol. If they can’t resist the temptation to get drunk and screw up their training while in the house, they will be no match for the temptations life will throw at them if they ever make it big. I love to see fighters get drunk, because it makes it that much easier for someone willing to work hard to surpass them. The fighters drinking away their potential on TUF are less likely to win the tournament, and less likely to be invited to train with respectable teams after the show. I say, give the fighters the freedom to consume what they please, and let them take responsibility for it.

• hankd says:

Hasta la vista Jesse…won’t miss you and your piss pants at all…

CB will take his place nicely…after Amir pulls off the big upset :-o

• Taylor Kresge says:

I agree with the alcohol. It’s starting to get a little predictable now…the guys are trapped in a house, they get bored, they get drunk and they trash the house. I don’t see why the UFC insists on restricting them so much that absolutely NOTHING to do around the house. I can see how putting a TV in there would make the guys anti-social and therefore would make for a boring show…but can’t the producers be a little more creative?

Anyway, I’m especially sick of all the drunken debauchery parts. I don’t hate alcohol, I just prefer not to watch guys being stupid on TV. If any of you agree, you should write UFC and Spike.

• mike wolfe says:

There have been some super-sized sphincters on TUF, but Taylor isn’t one them. He’s isn’t malicious or sneaky or dislikable. Kinda reminds me of a Great Dane puppy. Big, strong and peas on your carpet, but only because he doesn’t know any better, and you still like him anyway.

• fightfan says:

Nicely said Mike Wolfe!!! That was funny. I kind of think of him as Lenny from “Of Mice and Men” or was it the other dude. I dont know, the big dopey one that petted the mice so hard he rips off their head accidently

• Steve says:

At first I thought it was Jesse who kicked out the window, but if you watch it again, they said out of the finale.. they didn’t say finalist. There are other TUFC 7 fighters on the finale card. Jesse is quite the dumb ass, but he has only been hammered on the show once and he hasn’t been the most destructive one, he has only been self destructive. I say it’s Matthew Riddle since he is one the card against Dante Rivera. To kill your shot at making the card for a UFC fight makes you one hell of a douche bag. Who the f*ck does that in a limo? Doesn’t matter, I am calling Amir as the winner. He has alot of weapons, and is not as one dimensional as Jesse, or as arrogant as CB (CB is still a bad ass, but Amir knowing he is the underdog has nothing to lose just like against Matt Brown, plus he has some nice footwork). I think the finale should have been CB and Amir. Whoever get’s booted can go to Elite XC since that is pretty much the circus of MMA.

• Michaelthebox says:

They shouldn’t take alcohol away from TUF. Seriously, if these guys can’t hack being in a house with nothing to do but train, how are they gonna handle the pressures and the parties and fame of being a UFC fighter?

TUF is as much about cutting out the guys who can’t hack it as it is about building up the new talent. Theres a reason Gabe Reudiger ain’t in the UFC, and it ain’t his fight skills.

• HexRei says:

@#5: They used to plug supplements and it was awful. N2O, Xyience, etc being mentioned “off the cuff” and sitting on screen, cheesy as hell.

I think the alcohol should be up to them, although I think it should be limited to fighters legally old enough to drink in Nevada, obviously. It is a reality show in part, and allowing them to express their personalities and have some fun is part of the format.

I believe they’ve considered multinational TUF but outside of english-speaking countries, its probably going to be hard to find contenders who are also viable for american TV. Subtitles can be an iffy thing. There have been Canadians (Cote) but so far all english-speakers. I think the upcoming season with Big Nog heading up one team will be a strong indicator as to whether the TUF audience is ready for a major character who also speaks extremely poor or no english… although I suppose there were times when Hamil, Pointon, and Bisping were or at least should have been subtitled…

• Sam Cupitt says:

Yeah! Damn those Englishman speaking their native tongue.

• Music City Beatdown says:

Jesse is approaching all time TUF turd status. I loved the part where he pulls out a picture of his son and gives the “I’m doing this for my son , so he can be proud of dad” speech. Then proceeds to piss his pants. Real nice Jesse. I am sure Jesse, Jr. will be proud when he watches the DVD. BTW, your fighting style sucks too.

• darkmetal says:

I believe that Dana says “He is out of the semi-finals and out of the UFC”; of course that should mean either C.B. or Amir, but I don’t see either of them as being stupid enough to pull off such a stunt. It would have to be Jesse, who they also show getting into it with Jeremy yet again. Only he is dumb enough to let his emotions drive him to act before thinking….

I think all it would take is Jeremy saying something about Jesse’s little boy, and BOOM! Inside a Limo it would be pretty hard to hold back Jesse, you must admit.

Forrest proves that “White men can jump” and that was pretty amusing. Rampage takes the loss well however, and pretty much admits his sport is knocking people out. Quite well put.

I have to say I like Jesse, and hope he didn’t get kicked out. As someone said before, he is sort of the dumb guy you laugh at and with, but never really dislike. Oh, and he is a genetic FREAK as well. Who else could sweat off his weight by playing ping-pong, or drink a gallon of booze the night before a fight and never get tired? Well, he did puke…

• The other Patrick says:

I agree the alcohol on the Real World…err…The Ultimate Fighter has gotten out of had. The show has gotten stale to me over the past seasons. These guys get no tv, radio, newspapers, phones, internet, or magazines. But they have an endless supply of booze. Personally I like watching Tapout much more. You get to see different guys, and how they prep for fights. I would much rather see the UFC do more of the shows where the show a particular fighter and what they go through prior to the figts. I think it was called UFC All Access? I know TUF works a way to find new talent, and expose them to the public and build some hype. I do like the format, just not the Real World drama for ratings. But apparently the show sucks in ratings when they try to be serious. I would absolutely love to see a TUF in the UK, Canada, Brazil, Japan, or Australia. But then with Japan and Brazil, there would be alot of subtitles, and that might not be fun over an entire season.

• seth b says:

Some random thoughts…

Tim showed a lot of class in training Jesse on how to avoid getting caught in a triangle right up until the day before the fight. I loved his coach’s reaction, “you know you are fighting him, right?”

I heard Dana say “kicked off the finale” also and immediately thought Jesse, but you might be on to something Steve.

If you want to keep the fighters from getting plastered give them something else to do. It is that simple.

• Guy Gaduois says:

Jesse is a genetic anomaly. If ever fossilized, future generations will rethink the evolutionary chart. It’s made up anyway, but ol’ Jesse would sure make you look twice at Nebraska man. Who needs pig jawbone, am I right?

Also, I think it’s a Maguffin – I think “the incident” does not involve either of the fighters for TUF champ, but one of the fighters who would have fought on the finale show as part of the undercard. That’s what I heard, but I did not hear which fighter. Post production guys like dropping hints.

Although Jesse’s segment felt manufactured and more than a little “Spinal Tap” like when Jesse went wee-wee in his pants, I agree that showing these guys connected to the real world adds an important side to the story of the fights, a side that needs to be told more and better if MMA, and specifically TUF is to appeal to middle America.

I really missed CB not talking extensively about himself in the third person. I would wager that he has named his own penis, by the way.

Whoever has to fight Jesse (if Jesse fights) had better come up with some really good cardio, because wearing a Jesse sweater for 15 minutes looks exhausting. The guy is freaky strong and did a fair bit of combo shots and good set up for take downs. Then he smooshes his opponent and mauls his opponent.
    I think you have to give Jesse some damage from the outside and see how long the pain takes to go from where you hit him to his tiny dinosaur brain and see if that doesn’t at least slow him down. Straight BJJ isn’t going to do it unless you’re freakishly strong like he is. Strikes, knees and elbows coming in and hand in face all the time.

• darkmetal says:

Guy, I agree on the gameplan against Jesse. He will be very hard to beat on the ground, as his freakish strength seems to be all he needs to break most BJJ holds, and his wrestling is very good.

However, if his genetics are any indication, one has to wonder if he has “Wolverine-like” abilities to absorb punishment and damage as well.

I think only someone who can stuff most of his takedowns will be able to deal with his power, so the fighter has to be Machida-smart in their approach to fighting him. Namely, dart in and do damage, stuff takedowns, and then back off and repeat. I think his best chance of being defeated is on the feet, obviously.

• mike wolfe says:

Unless he’s the one ejected from the show, Jesse will win the final. He’s too big and strong, and, unlike Tommy Peterson from last year, has enough skills deal with anybody else on the show. Say what you like about his behavior, but the guy is correctly wired to fight. He doesn’t spend much time on self analysis or angst or hindsight. Dude lives in the moment and powers forward. Jesse Taylor: ‘Tard Zen Master.

• rolltide says:

@12

Couldn’t be riddle man. There is no way they would sign him to the finale and then cancel it after the show. It is probably someone else that might of been on one of the undercard bouts. I don’t think its Jesse either.

• jeff the drunk says:

as much as it hurts to type the following words, no alcohol is a good idea. they are there to train, not get loaded and act like frat boys. they can find another way to manufacture drama without giving alcohol a bad name. please dana, i implore you, stop exploiting alcohol.

• mike wolfe says:

#22 edit: Tommy Speer, not Peterson. Sheesh. Some days you just want to get loaded and pee yourself.

• Guy Gaduois says:

Mike – Jesse wants to know if he can piddle in his drawers and THEN get loaded? Also “Tard Zen Master” made me blast coffee out my nose. Feel the burn.

Darkmetal – I dig the ‘Wolverine-like healing abilities’. Very funny.

• Mike Wolfe says:

#26 I’ll have to give the alcohol/urination issue some consideration. Is there a protocol or generally accepted etiquette for this? Hmm.

• Patrick says:

I agree with “The Other Patrick” agreeing with me.

Also, yeah TapOut does MMA more justice than TUF has been lately. No, I’m not a fan of the TapOut guys wacky antics, but they seem to legitimately care about MMA and the fighters they sponsor (also, despite their looks and antics… they seem to generally not have their heads up their asses too much).

Again, get rid of the alcohol, focus on the sport, focus on the training, focus on the fighters. This is MMA not MTV.

• bjjdenver says:

#28, funny opening, thanks!

Jesse is annoying, as is the behavior in the house.

As for the mystery jackass, here is how I see it:

It won’t be anyone they have already announced to fight on the finale. This was taped months ago and it would be bad business to announce and cancel under these circumstances.

Dante told one of my friends that trains at Almeida’s, that everyone would know his name after TUF. Considering his performance, he is either full of crap or this could be his claim to fame. This doesn’t seem to fit everything I have heard about him, but you never know. Rumor is he is facing Riddle at the Finale, but I don’t think it is officially announced

So there are several guys it could be, I don’t think Dana meant out of the final fight, just off the finale show and out of the UFC.

HOWEVER, would an eliminated fighter getting tossed be the most shocking thing ever???? Not in my opinion. That leads me to believe that it actually MAY be Jesse. I don’t see C.B. or Amir doing something like that, but i could see Jesse doing it. And having one of the finalists, who get treated pretty good even if they lose, get thrown off, absolutely would be the most shocking thing in TUF history.

• ctownhood says:

You know who must love watching TUF this season? Anderson Silva. No threat to his title from any of these guys….probably ever.

• bjjdenver says:

Especially since most will drop to 170. Not sure why they didn’t do lhw if they were trying to add to the mw depth. Most of these guys are really small for 185, with the obvious exception of Jesse.

• ctownhood says:

BJJ, true. I don’t see GSP losing any sleep either ;)
    I think Amir has the most potential

• bjjdenver says:

ctown, true for GSP.

I like Amir also, and if he drops to 170, i like him even more.

I think CB has a ton of potential. While his TUF fights have been very workmanlike, I have seen him fight in a couple of other cards, and he was extremely impressive. From his TUf appearance, I can see how some people don’t care much for him, but he is still my pick to win it.

• finkrod says:

I just can’t believe I’m reading an MMA board and someone just refrenced a “maguffin”. Very nice.

• Steve says:

What channel is Tapout on?

Last I am going to say about the next episode and then I am totally off of it. What if it was not even one of the ultimate fighters, but an actual UFC fighter that was supposed to fight on the card that night? That would be extremely shocking.

I will admit that it is getting very MTV real worldy, but this season is way better than last season IMO. I like having the guys fight to get on the show. Lastly, and I don’t know if anyone touched on this, but maybe the alcohol is a variable. The UFC wants to see which guys are going to stay “pure” and train hard, and which ones are just going to get smashed every night and end up getting beat. Look who has won over the past. Not too many of the guys who are taking Jager shots every night are ever seen or heard from again.

One last thing about this season, I have really grown to like Rampage.. he is one funny guy. It’s going to be a good fight between those two, and they are both really likeable guys. It’s going to be hard to cheer for one or the other, since I have been a Griffin fan forever.

• heetman says:

Why is it ok to demolish a house, but not ok to kick out a limo window? They reaked havok on the house to an absolute insane degree and nothing was said. Why would they think that a limo window would jeprodize their career? i would think that both would warrant discipline or neither would.

• Steve says:

Very good point. I think a house is way worse, and it shows a lack of respect, however it has become a tradition on the show. The only exlpanation would be if the limo was not UFC property (ie. property of the Palms or a service), or if we’re about to find out that it was more than just kicking out a window. Someone could have threatened a driver, a civilian (non TUF member) . Remember when they almost kicked the guy off for getting pissed at the camera man. They have zero tolerance for screwing with anyone other than the cast members.

The do need to make rules that are more black and white. Encouraging destruction in the house, but disciplining harshly for only a limo window is pretty stupid. We’ll have to just wait and see what really happens.

PS just Tivo’d all episodes of Tapout. It’s on VS if anyone wants to know. I had no idea that there was another show out there.

• bjjdenver says:

#35 TapouT is on Versus.

I just read the most logical speculation on the booted fighter. If true, it is Jesse, who got into a fight with someone in the limo, then kicked the window out and is now in the legal process.

Not 100% on this, but it does make sense.

• mike wolfe says:

#38

If that’s accurate–he’s involved in the legal sysytem–it’s easily verifiable by calling the court in the location of the incident. Some courts even have filings available on line. The filings, whether criminal or civil, are public records, so the info is fair game. If the location can be determined, every remaining fighter’s name on the show can be cross referenced against the records if Taylor’s name isn’t a “hit.”

• bjjdenver says:

Jesse Taylor court proceedings Clark County public records–

No info on what it is for, just that there is an active case.

I hope it isn’t him, but this is what I found.

• bjjdenver says:

I’m very uncomfortable having posted that, even though it is a matter of public record. So if it isn’t him or this is in bad taste over a reality show, then I would like to apologize.

• mike wolfe says:

bjjdenver:

Dude, it’s basic investigative journalism. There’s nothing unfair or dishonest about it. Hard to tell from the link what the filing is about, anyway. Is Clark County in Nevada?

• bjjdenver says:

Thanks, Mike.

yes, That is Vegas. I simply googled Las Vegas police arrest records, and followed a couple of links that allowed me to enter a name and pulled any correlating cases.

I guess we’ll all know soon enough, but I hope it turns out for the best. I never like to see someone’s career or life trashed in the media.

• mike wolfe says:

bjj

Whoeever it is will have plenty of notoriety after the upcoming episode of TUFm because anybody watching the show will know the whole story. Hopefully it isn’t Taylor, because he appears to be the best of this season’s competitors. It would be a letdown for the show if the best competitor was disqualified. Even if it is Taylor and he’s off the show, the guy has enough potential that he should catch on somewhere, and with enough wins the UFC would be willing to forgive and forget.

• your mom08 says:

Dana White says ” For the Final, lets just say we had both the fighters set, then boom, the shit hit the fan”. Whats gonna happen, is either way you look at it, Amir is in the final fight, but noone knows if he’ll be fighting CB or Jesse, that is whats to be determined. It’s one of those two guys that breaks the window, and although it’s bullshit to kick someone off for busting a window out, thats whats happenin. I hope they are not stupid enough to put Tim in the final fight, that would be a disgrace to the sport and the show. He’s a nice guy, but if you can throw a punch his ass is done.

• Paul A says:

I agree with most of the things patrick says but fact is… if the guys didn’t act like dicks then the majority wouldn’t watch and only TRUE fans of mma would… which isn’t a bad thing at all, but the show would probably get cancelled due to not enough ratings…. At least they stop doing the radiculas challanges like sawing through logs lol… wat the fuk was that all about.

• LawyerGirl says:

this is random and semi off-topic, but Jesse Taylor sounds exactly like Nicholas Cage on that old movie, Peggy Sue Got Married. even as funny as his poems are, i can’t stand his voice.

• TMAC says:

bjjdenver – Not the same Jesse Taylor. Thanks for posting the link, I dug around in the Blackstone site and was able to view the 1st page of the 34 page document filed on 5/7/08 in which the last known addresses of the Jesse Taylor named as the defendant were in Las Vegas and Souix City, IA. Jesse is from Pennsylvania and trains out of California.

Remote possibility this case has something to do with the Jesse Taylor on the current season of TUF, but my take is not likely.

Good research though

• bjjdenver says:

TMAC– nice job, hopefully you are correct!