Dana White attempts to play down the “huge announcement”

I know you are all probably sick of hearing about Dana White’s “huge” announcement and just want to hear what it actually is but alas, you, like the rest of the world will have to wait until Tuesday to get the full story.

In the meantime however, Mark Chalifoux from the Baltimore Sun recently conducted an interview with the UFC president. In an excerpt from that interview, which can be found here, White discusses this Tuesday’s announcement and in my opinion seems rather taken aback by the commotion triggered by his comments on ESPN last week.

From the Baltimore Sun:

Dana White: I’m doing it Tuesday. Let me tell you how out of [expletive deleted] control that thing is. I was talking to ESPN and [the reporter] was talking about competition and I said, ‘Let me tell you what. People have been trying to compete with the UFC for years, even before we bought it. The last big one everyone thought was a big threat … was the IFL. They went public, raised 800-[expletive deleted] million dollars, then they were talking about doing fighter benefits and stuff. They got the first network deal and those other guys weren’t the first on. They got time on 60 Minutes with us when 60 Minutes did their piece on us, and now the IFL is gone. They are [expletive deleted] down, their stock is worth half a cent (Editor’s note: IFLI closed today at $0.02). That’s what we were talking about that day and I said I’m going to make an announcement to my employees that shows everyone exactly where this business is going in the next couple years.

I said I wanted to make the announcement to my employees, so it’s not even like I was making a big announcement to the media. If I was doing that I would’ve had a big news conference and then gone off to London. I wanted to wait until I was back to do it.

It’s a big [expletive deleted] announcement, it’s a big [expletive deleted] deal but I got a lot of other stuff we’re working on right now. It was never anything I said I was going to announce to the media.

Thoughts?

Read more Dana White content on FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

• Adam says:

Is this for [expletive deleted] real?

• Robert Joyner says:

The ESPN article: “I’m going to make an announcement next week that is going to blow people’s minds. That deal is done, but my employees don’t even know yet. I’m renting out a place next Thursday and I’m going to tell them. Then we’ll make the announcement later that day.”

Baltimore Sun: “I said I wanted to make the announcement to my employees, so it’s not even like I was making a big announcement to the media.”

It looks like Dana isn’t going to let a little thing like his own words in black and white get in the way of spinning this thing. Dana walks a fine line between being a promoter playing the role of hype-man and just flat out being disingenuous.

Kind of like with the article he did with sergio non with usa today.

DW:Are you kidding me? It’s like me saying I’m going to go out tomorrow and start a T-shirt company and compete with Affliction. The **** do I know about selling T-shirts?

SN: Actually, you sell quite a few of them, don’t you?

DW: Yeah, well, that’s different. Selling my T-shirts at my big event is one thing. Me going out and trying to talk to Nordstrom and Dillard’s and trying to come up with a name to compete with Affliction —

this was after he had already done a deal with JC Penney to carry ufc t-shirts.

• Steve says:

Did the IFL really raise 800 million dollars? I’d imagine they’d be able to continue burning cash a little more if so. I thought the number was more like under 100 million.

• darkmetal says:

Dana needs to cut the cussing at least by 50%.

For Pete’s sake you are the President of a corporation. And don’t get me wrong, I support White for the most part. But this is just plain silly how he talks to the media.

Can you imagine if Steve Jobs came out and said:

“Yeah, we’ve got a new (expletive deleted) Ipod coming out, and it’s going to (expletive deleted) Rock!”

Crikey!

• I don’t know why I click on any post with ‘Dana White’ or any variant thereof. The man’s exhausting and as full of (expletive deleted) as any wrestling promoter.

Would, however, love to see the man behave like a professional. That would (expletive deleted) rock!

• Ian says:

Dana White is Lucy.

The internet is Charlie Brown.

• William W. says:

LOL @ what Ian said. So true.

Dana is back peddling like crazy here. This is exactly what he said:

“I’m going to make an announcement next week that is going to blow people’s minds. That deal is done, but my employees don’t even know yet. I’m renting out a place next Thursday and I’m going to tell them. Then we’ll make the announcement later that day. It’s an indicator of where this business is going over the next five years.”

And now he is saying this is something he didn’t intend on making public?

• [...] I tell you BOB??? LOL NO OTHER MEDIA ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING! Five Ounces of Pain | Dana White attempts to play down the “huge announcement” __________________ "I knew Dan was tough, but I didn’t know he was gonna beat up my fist [...]

• kingiefella says:

why does dana keep getting slagged off??…he has made the ufc what it is now…so what if he swears or has a way about him some people dont like…..stop the bloody hating gents and recognise him for what he has done for mma

• Whocares says:

#1 – Did you actually compare JC Penney to Nordstroms?

• Evan says:

As I have said before…die hards will rarely think anything is a big deal. We over analyze everything and break it down too much.

This MMA thing is changing so fast we’re not surprised by anything.

• ChuckW says:

So what…he’s a promoter…let him [expletive delete] all he wants as long as he keeps creating good fight cards. I personally would love to see Jobs stand in front of Apple World and say here’s the new [expletive deleted] I-Pod you mutha-[expletive deleted]-s

• Ken says:

Nice one Ian.

Dana White fucking rocks.

He made MMA what it is today, and is leading where it is going.

Not bad for an ex car-parker.

• [...] coming. Gullable ass stupid idiot internet dorks. Straight from the horses mouth LADIES…. Five Ounces of Pain | Dana White attempts to play down the ?huge announcement? I’ll be sure to TTT this all day so none of the “know it alls” miss it. Search my username posts [...]

• Fabricio says:

Dana White is Lucy.

The internet is is Ricky.

ooops showed my age. But that is a lot closer to the truth.