- Shinya Aoki def. Katsuhiko Nagata via submission (Aokiplata), Rd1
Aoki dominated taking Nagata down twice early. Moving into a dominant position and eventually mounting, Aoki used what looked to be a gogoplata from top position to get the tapout victory. Bas Rutten took the time to say he’d never seen that before. Adam Morgan and myself both believe this should now be called an Aokiplata. I don’t care if it already has some rare name, it’s now the Aokiplata.
- Alistair Overeem def. Tae Hyun Lee via KO (strikes), Rd1
Within a minute, Overeem tags Lee with a couple of shots and ends with a rough left/right combo and a knee to the chest for good measure to put Lee on his face and out of it. Ridiculous mismatch ends badly for the big man. Overeem yells, “I WANT CRO COP” in the post match and slams down the microphone.
- Ralek Gracie def. Alavutdin Gadzhiyev via submission (armbar), Rd1
Ralek Gracie is apparently Royce Gracie in 1993 and 94, apparent from his stance and style from the first five seconds. Approach, approach, front kick, grapple. Over and over until he was successful with the takedown. Once on the ground he got full mount and worked for a quick armbar. Gadzhiyev taps and then complains that he did not tap, class all the way. Nice ground work but Ralek’s standup needs to hit the new millennium.
- Hideo Tokoro def. Darren Uyenoyama via decision (unanimous)
A fight of the year candidate, so says Adam Morgan and myself. Excellent ground game, surprising standup, excellent back and forth action. This fight had everything you could want out of an MMA bout. At the very least this should be in the top 10 fights of the year come December and is a must see.
– They draw for LW Grand Prix Semis. It will be 1-A vs 1-B and 2-A vs 2-B. Aoki draws 2-A. Kawajiri draws 1-B. Uno draws 2-B vs Aoki and Eddie Alvarez draws 1-A (through a rep). It will be Eddie Alvarez vs Tatsuya Kawajiri and Shinya Aoki vs Caol Uno.
- Gegard Mousasi def. Dong Sik Yoon via decision (unanimous)
Mousasi completely controlled 13 of the 15 minutes. Yoon had the last two minutes of the first round looking for the submission but couldn’t get the job done. The entire second round was Mousasi holding Yoon’s back and beating him all over with punches for complete domination.
- Zelg Galesic def. Taiei Kin via TKO (injury), Rd1
Galesic goes for a takedown and Kin’s arm bends the opposite way it’s supposed to and the fight is stopped via injury. That was a disgusting looking injury but Kin takes it like a real man and deserves alot of credit.
- “Jacare” Souza def. “Mayhem” Miller via decision (unanimous)
Jacare controlled most of the action, got a majority of the takedowns and got the best of the fight. Mayhem did much better on the feet and did a great job avoiding submissions but was taken down far too many times and for whatever reason tried several simple submissions (guillotines) that would never work against Jacare.
- Melvin Manhoef def. Kazushi Sakuraba via TKO (strikes), Rd1
Absolute destruction from the opening bell. A kick from Manhoef and then huge shots on the ground and the ref stops the fight. Just a violent beatdown at the hands of Melvin Manhoef in just a few seconds.
Absolute fantastic show up and down. Can’t complain about staying up until 8am for this.