Aokiplata (pic) from DREAM 4

If you watched DREAM 4 on HDNet, you were amazed by the submission move Shinya Aoki pulled out of his bag of tricks. Bas Rutten was commentating and said he had never seen a submission like that ever before – it was a version of gogoplata from the top position.

We here are Five Ounces of Pain are dubbing it the “Aokiplata” (read more here)

aokiplata.jpg

UPDATE- some clarification on the move requested by readers – Aoki is in the mount position. Opponent on his back. Aoki wrapped his right leg UNDER the left shoulder of Nagata, then placed the top of his right foot on Nagata’s throat. He’s then pulling on the back of his opponents head, to force pressure on the throat into the foot.

Check out more DREAM 4 content on Five Ounces of Pain.

• Jackyl says:

That was awesome. Can we get Aoki stateside please?

• Jim says:

That’s… mind-boggling. I’m still not entirely sure what he’s doing, even with the picture. Is the opponent on his back or face-down? What’s Aoki’s left leg doing?

• platypus says:

yah my grappling friends and i tried it, its really hard and you have to be crazy flexible, makes more sense to set it up halfway and pivot for an armbar, but this is what makes aoki exciting

• Chris says:

I’ll have to go watch it on the DVR, but…

@Jim it looks as though the opponent is on his back, face up.

I would wager that Aoki’s left leg is either posted or hooked on the opponent’s inner right thigh and he’s got the shin of his right leg across the opponent’s throat a-la gogoplata…

I don’t know how much base you’d have there, but he’s up high enough that a buck probably wouldn’t have much effect…I’m more interested in where the opponent’s arms are.

Neat.

• Matt C. says:

Aoki is in the mount position. Opponent on his back. Aoki wrapped his right leg UNDER the left shoulder of Nagata, then placed the top of his right foot on Nagata’s throat. He’s then pulling on the back of his opponents head, to force pressure on the throat into the foot. SICKNESS.

• Evan says:

Thanks Matt. I saw it live but was still confused.

• Jesse says:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BADASS. Aoki is just awesome. Keep him in Japan where they appreciate him though, the meathead mainstream mma fans here would boo him for going to the ground.

• Todd says:

This techique is shown in Eddie Bravo’s Mastering the Twister. Aoki is shown in the book as well.

• Scotty says:

Aoki has used this move atleast once before in comptetion. He did it to a guy who’s name I can’t remember in a grappling rules match on a SHOOTO card a little while ago.

• earthfirst! says:

A gogo is an awesome move and aoki is great too but i think he could have submitted that guy any way he wanted to, probably a much easier but less flashier way. I thought that was kind of showboating but I still love aoki. Also I do not think that was the first gogo from the top in mma. I know its the 3rd or fourth and aokis 2nd but I have seen a youtube mma grappling hl vid where someone else pulls this off.

• platypus says:

you might want to look for that grappling hl vid again,….i think that one was also aoki =)

• Simco says:

I’m probably just going to end up looking like “that guy” but this isn’t the greatest move in the world. It’s not terribly uncommon for a white belt to attempt – and on occassion successfully apply – this while rolling or even in tournaments.
    It is flashy though and a less common angle than in guard. However it’s far from needing a new name or anything of that magnitude.

• Huckaby says:

Aokiplata sweeping the nation!

And one of these days Aoki is going to pay for being a bit too cocky and picking his submissions as you almost saw against Lo-A-Njoe.

• Tanner says:

Man i’ve explained this about 3 times on various other sites. The gogo from the top is an Eddie Bravo technique from the Gangsta Lean. You lean to one side and use your opposite hand to post so they can’t roll you over. You bend one leg behind they’re head like you’re going to go for a triangle/armbar of some sorts. Instead of switching off to the side you to go for the armbar/triangle you put your wrist to your ankle and pull it up over there head. You use the shin to choke the person. You can either pull up on their head like Aoki did or grab your foot.

I have his 3 DVD set and it shows him showing Aoki the rubber guard in japan back in the pride days. This was the only video i could really find.

you can see him showing Aoki at 3:30

and here’s the gangsta lean to a triangle so you can kinda get the setup:

• Suresh0t says:

I would accept this if Eddie Bravo wasn’t such a d-bag when it comes to naming moves.

• Tanner says:

If you were fighting one of his students and he yelled go for the mount that traps the arm and slide your knee up locking they’re other arm in place i think you might know what he’s trying to do. But if you yelled gangsta lean to gogo you might not have the best idea. Well you probably wouldn’t know shit. Bloodyelbow, fightlinker, this site, no one seems to know what the hell this is.

• Huckaby says:

I have nothing but respect for Eddie Bravo but he can name all of the moves he wants. If you pull off something that incredibly rare during a real live MMA fight it’s yours.

• Tanner says:

I’ll agree with you there Huckaby. I’m just trying to inform people where it originated from. Its not something that he just did overnight. Damn near every MMA site out there has a post up like this today. What was that? it was crazy… Never seen that before type of thing.

I guess i’m just trying to get across the point that he’s trained with Eddie and thats where a lot of this crazy rubber guard, mounted gogo shit came from.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Right on, Michael.

Pulling off that kind of submission in a straight-up grappling situation is one thing. Sinking it in during an MMA match while avoiding punches and elbows is something completely different…

• Cobra Kai says:

I agree, this is nothing new. It is awesome that he pulled it off in a real MMA competition but what’s with all the “I’ve never seen that in my life” comments. Props to Aoki for his skills but I don’t think he deserves to get the move named after him. He surely isn’t the first guy to pull this move in MMA competition, probably just the first guy to pull it off on that big of an event.

• Vern says:

I have been doing that for years. I call it the Vernicious Knid.

• Tanner says:

@Sergio – Aoki was mounting the other guy, of course he was avoiding punches and elbows. He was on top. I understand the point you’re trying to make but it doesn’t apply to this situation.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Tanner: I was giving Aoki props… it takes a lot more to pull off this kind of submission during an MMA match as opposed to a grappling match where one doesn’t have to worry about catching an elbow across the jaw.

• Tanner says:

I got ya man, I guess ijust misread how you wrote it.

• Huckaby says:

I’m just sure there is a name for every submission humanly possible at this point. I doubt there is much of anything anyone could do that hasn’t been done before and I’m sure Eddie Bravo has his share of them.

None the less pulling it off in an MMA fight is a fantastic achievement and that’s why I’m going Aokiplata.

As for it being done before in an MMA fight as far as I know there are only a handful of confirmed gogoplatas let alone an Aokiplata. Though it wouldn’t surprise me if someone at some point in history did it to an 0-5 guy in 2001.

• Vern says:

I am shocked Ross Pointon hasn’t lost to this before.

• Kogepan says:

yeh, the reason a move is named after someone is BECAUSE they pulled it off in a match. Nobody is going to be naming moves after you if you do it in a gym against your boyfriend.

Aoki basically knew he could win by whatever he wanted 1 minute into the fight. He had full mount for basically the entire fight and could have just did the routine GnP. Pulling off a Gogo is just to prove a point is just SICK.

Hopefully he does something similar when he faces Uno, I want to see him do some serious damage to that guy.

• Cobra Kai says:

#27

So when Royce Gracie comes up with a new submission he isn’t aloud to name it? Because he is obviously doing it on his boyfriend like the rest of us BJJ practitioners. Put any BJJ black belt with someone so seriously overmatched and they can pull out a sick submission. I give props to Aoki for pulling this off in a real competition, but it is more proof that his opponent was overmatched than anything.

• Dax says:

If you know anything about Eddie Bravo and the rubber guard this is no biggie. Fighters pull rubber guard in MMA but have no idea how to use it. Shinya Aoki is the only dude in mainstream MMA right now that has studied under Eddie thus he knows how to use it. As the sport evolves and 10th Planet spreads you’ll see a lot more impressive submissions in the future.

As for naming it the Aokiplata… thats retarded, it’s not like he invented the move. It’s a gogo from mount using the gangsta’ lean.

Aoki is the man.

• joel says:

its not called a aokiplatta.. thats boo..
    its the shinyaplatta!!! i mean he uses his shin to choke him out and his name is shinya… it just makes sence!!! lol