Nick Diaz: “This is war to me…”

nickdiaz2.jpg

The ever-controversial Nick Diaz had some words to say to his rival K.J. Noons regarding what happened inside of the cage after Noons’ impressive title defense against Yves Edwards. From Yahoo! Sports:

“I’m not a punk and I don’t start (expletive),” Diaz said. “They brought me to the cage to do an interview about the rematch. I was doing my job. I didn’t go in there like some crazy psycho (expletive). It wasn’t staged. But it was all because of this (expletive) poser.”

“My car pulled up in front of the hotel and he and his girlfriend and his mom and dad were there,” Diaz said. “Right away, he put his mug on me. He was staring me down and trying to give the impression that he’s hard core. I flipped him off, but he’s standing over there like he’s flashing. I go, ‘What the (expletive) are you doing? I’m not the one doing (expletive).’ I couldn’t understand why this guy is putting his mug on me, but he had to act like he was some kind of a (expletive) tough guy in front of his girlfriend and his Dad.”

“This is war, this is life, and I take this very seriously,” Diaz said. “I’m not the one bringing my family into the ring and showing them off. I’m not the one who (showed up to the pre-fight news conference) in a (expletive) suit trying to act like I’m some kind of tough guy (expletive) rich kid. This is war to me and we have a serious situation on our hands now.”

This is pure Nick Diaz gold. Statements like these are why the guy is so polarizing. Love him or hate him, he makes you want to watch any fight that he’s in. He’s created enough hype already for both Noons and himself combined. Without Diaz, this would just be any other fights. With Diaz, it’s a recipe for viewers. He can make a situation like Noons mean muggin’ him sound like Noons punched his mom in the face while she was making brownies.

• -chris says:

Gotta love Nick Diaz, I can’t wait to see him wreck KJ Noons. IMO the first fight shouldn’t have been stopped when it was. On the undercard of that fight: Nate Diaz vs. KJ Noons Dad.

• JoHn says:

i love nick diaz, and his brother nate, i think they bring alot of entertainment value to the fights they are in, and they dont even say much, i hope he utterly destroys noon’s in there rematch…

• MMAKING says:

Classic Nick Diaz. You got to give it to Diaz, the man means business. I appreciate someone that speaks his mind and take his profession seriously. I want to see this grudge match play out soon. I like Noons, but he seems like a cocky ass and I want to see someone beat him down or see him step up and fight better competiton.

Diaz fights Mach in Dream 5, can’t wait for this card, its loaded!

• MMAKING says:

Off Subject:

The younger Diaz, Nate is the real deal! I would love to see him fight a top ten fighter soon. The UFC is bringing him along nicely. I think after his next win, we will see him matched up against “Big Daddy” Joe Stevenson or maybe even Sherk.

• JoHn says:

noons reminds me of a smaller whiter version of houston alexander, ” a flash in the pan” havent seen his ground game yet. but once we do i think it will play out to the opponents victory

• Davey D says:

I don’t want to give EXC any idea’s but I’d watch this bout on PPV if I had to. I really hope Nick eff’s him up the next time around. Keep your fans in Detroit, Michigan proud Nick. Nate too!!!

• RealDrew says:

MMAKING

He takes his profession seriously? Give me a break. Is that why he missed making weight by 10 pounds?

The Diaz brothers are a joke. They are a couple of street thugs who learned BJJ. My guess is that one of the Diaz boys will end up dead in a driveby or a barfight.

• JoHn says:

i wonder if nate got in any trouble for the shit that happened on elitexc

• Joey says:

Noons is the one that charged first, and did you see his dad punching Nick I think? And most people say Nick is the punk here, are you kidding me? If Nick can get rid of his stubbornness and get it to the ground the next fight isn’t even close. I’m predicting Nick by . . . . . . . diazplata (thats a variation of the gogo from . . . . lets say . . . north-south position)

• JoHn says:

#7 realdrew, thats a strong statement, are you kidding me nick has great standup, he will just stand with you and pepper you with soft effective punches and wear you down, he is not just a bjj guy or a street thug, he is a true athlete

• Mike Wolfe says:

This is what happens when Nick has to give up his “medicine” to fight. I suspect he was red-eyed and mellow within a few hours.

• -chris says:

I agree with JoHn. He knocked Robbie Lawler’s ass out last year and if it wasn’t for the cut, he would have done the same to Noons. This kid Noons got his ass KTFO by “crazy horse” Bennett on Elite XC’s first card. Nick is gonna own him.

• Derek B says:

my favorite comment:

Diaz said. “I’m not the one bringing my family into the ring and showing them off.”

So that wasn’t your little brother Nate who was there backing you up trying to act hard?

What a joke.

• Ian says:

Nick and Nate remind of the third or fourth homosapien down the evolutionary climb on those posters.

• Joey says:

Nate worked his corner, theres a difference

• JacRabbit says:

• RealDrew says:

John,

The Diaz brothers are great fighters. I’m not arguing that. I dislike the Diaz brothers because they are a couple of jackasses.

I get tired of their routine. We get it. You’re from the streets. You keep it real…blah blah. I get tired of seeing them throwing their gang signs and giving someone the finger everytime they get a little attention.

• JacRabbit says:

LOL to #13. They really do

• Guy Gaduois says:

Mike Wolfe is funny.

corrections:
    This is pure Nick Diaz Acapulco Gold . . .

Make you think Noons punched his Mom in the face while she was making marijuana brownies.

Pot does make on paranoid, by the way. Calm down, Francis.

• ctownhood says:

KenFlo
    BJ
    Sherk
    Frankie Edgar
    Tyson Griffin
    Gray Maynard
    Roger Huerta
    Clay Guida

• Derek B says:

“Nate is always with him Derek–he’s even one of his corner-men. Noon’s brought is dad up like it was elementary school show and tell.”

JacRabbit I don’t feel there is anything wrong with having your family there at ring side. It was a big accomplishment for Noons and I’m sure he wanted his father to be apart of it by being in the ring with him after he successfully defended his title. I’m sure if it weren’t for his fathers support he wouldn’t be doing what he’s doing today.

My problem is that the Diaz’s don’t know how to present themselves in a professional manner. They demand respect, but yet they don’t show enough respect for the average MMA fan to give 2 shits about them.

I just feel they should conduct themselves more professionally and not like a couple of 3rd grade bullies.

• ekc says:

i have a man crush on the Diaz’s Brothers!

• Jackyl says:

Does anyone really care about these Alpha Dog rejects? Nick has gotten beat every time he’s in the cage with someone half decent. As soon as Nate gets in with the cream of the 155 division he’s done. Give him the ultimate 155 gatekeeper Clay Guida! Hell, Joe Stevenson could take him, Florian, Huerta, the list goes on. Smoke another one Nate, your title dreams are from the pipe.

• Jesse says:

“He can make a situation like Noons mean muggin’ him sound like Noons punched his mom in the face while she was making brownies.”

Gold Adam, pure gold, buddy.

• bjjdenver says:

i was next to Nick at UFN 13, and he seemed like a nice guy. Very accommodating to the annoying fans. I have no problem with him going into the cage and calling out Noons.

IMO, it was his brother that escalated everything to the out of control point.

I’m just not sure where his head is at anymore. He looked great at Dream, looked pretty good at EXC, but has looked bad in his recent fights prior to that. He missed weight big-time and seems unmotivated at times.

I see noons as a really good striker, with great takedown defense. I see Diaz as a good submission artist, with very technical striking that wears you down. Unfortunately, I think Nick is a little slow and his takedowns are far from great. I just think this is a bad match up for him and I would expect part 2 to go along the same lines as part 1. And it was in no way a bad stoppage, Diaz was getting his ass handed to him. Was he cut? Yes. He was cut from Noons pummeling him. It is unfortunate that Diaz makes few excuses, but that is all his fans do.

I think nick may be in a bad situation. When he cuts to 155 or 160, it seems to really affect him in a negative manner. When he fights at 170, he seems really small and outmatched compared to his opponents. I’m afraid there just isn’t a good class for him. he looks his best when he is 165-170 and his opponents are 155-160, but that is hardly fair.

I not a huge fan of either guy, but i think many are underestimating KJ and as usual, Nick’s fans are overrating him.

• bjjdenver says:

And I love a good fight with a little honest hatred mixed in! Can’t wait for this to happen!

• MMAKING says:

CTOWNhood,

Yes, I believe he could hang and beat all of them with the exception of BJ. His BBJ is world class and hes stand up is better than all you listed:

Sherk
    Frankie Edgar
    Tyson Griffin
    Gray Maynard
    Roger Huerta
    Clay Guida

Pelligrino is one tought dude. The fact that he beat him, gives Nate credibility and shows he has the talent to hang with any LW.

Response please!

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

“He knocked Robbie Lawler’s ass out last year and if it wasn’t for the cut, he would have done the same to Noons.”

Um, it’s not 2005, bro.

And Lawler didn’t completely destroy Diaz’s face before getting knocked out. Noons dominated Diaz, simple as that.

• Matt C. says:

I like what the Diaz bros bring to the entertainment side of the sport. Not b/c I agree with their attitude, but more b/c its fun to watch. Afterall, this is fighting. Most of the premier athletes in the sport act like professionals, so the Diaz’s are a nice contrast to that. Some fighters are intelligent, some are meatheads, and some have HUGE chips on their shoulders. It takes all kinds. God bless America.

• JoHn says:

• Jason says:

I think Nick has a lot of talent but he talks too much crap and I don’t think he’s very serious about fighting. He tests positive for drugs in the biggest fight of his career, wins a split decision to Mike Aina, (no offense to Mike, but Nick should’ve destroyed him and Mike should’ve won the decision) and most recently showed up at the weigh-ins nowhere close to his contracted weight. All of this points to someone that isn’t commited to being a fighter or has other problems that we don’t know about.

• Newport says:

I thought Nick would win their first fight, since i didn’t know much about Noons other than Krazyhorse KOing him, but Noons outclassed him on the feet and i thought dominated him. People are posting comments like they never watched the fight.

• MMAKING says:

Ya, most people on here are misinformed jerks. They dont know what there talking about. They make crazy statements based on nothing they have watched and or researched. This is “Tool” city!

Especially Ctownhood rat!

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

“SERGIO, HE did not dominate diaz, did you even watch the fight? that fight was stopped prematurely”

Yeah, I did watch that fight. I actually have it DVRed so I can watch it whenever I want to see a beatdown.

Noons was stuffing all of Diaz’s pathetic takedown attempts and destroying him in the stand-up.

Diaz’s face looked like a jigsaw puzzle afterwards.

• Newport says:

yeah i’m sure they could find the fight on Dailymotion or somewhere. I didn’t think anything was contraversial about the stoppage, Nick’s eye was blown up. Either his “fans” wanted to see him beat completly blind, or they just got real short memorys. I don’t think Nick looked real good since he beat Gomi

• Rich S. says:

“MMAKING, Nate would get destroyed by any of the top LW in UFC. You think Nate could beat any of the following?:
    KenFlo
    BJ
    Sherk
    Frankie Edgar
    Tyson Griffin
    Gray Maynard
    Roger Huerta
    Clay Guida

He was getting pummeled by Pelligrino before pulling off a triangle (a damn good one too, I’ll admit), but all he has working for him is his BJJ. But guys like BJ and KenFlo have better BJJ, and much better striking.”

Hmmm..
    Kenflo? sure..
    Bj? no.
    Sherk? no.
    Edgar? he sure has a good shot..
    Griffin? yes.
    Maynard? didn’t he sub maynard on the show?
    Huerta? Huerta’s struggled in every one of his fights in the UFC, and he’s still yet to fight a good opponent, except for Guida, who dominated him [until a knee and a choke came out of no where], they were all no-names, and they all gave Huerta many problems.. that’s a bad thing..[although, he still managed to get finishes on some of them] i’d give Nate a huge shot at beating him..
    Guida? sure..

you have to admit, Nate’s def. working his way up to the top 10, and if he beats Neer [if that match is official] he will def. be top 10 in my eyes.. because, imo, Neer is top 10… but.. i’m afraid he will be overpowered by Neer, then again, i thought he would be overpowered by Pellegrino and Robinson too, and he did fine in those fights..

anyway..
    back to subject..
    i hate KJ, and can’t wait until the day his luck runs out.. i hope in the next Diaz/Noons.. we see one of those good performances from Diaz, you know, the ones where he shows up prepared and FOCUSED and owns his opponents..

• HexRei says:

@#31 Diaz’ face looks fucked up before the fight begins, its just how he looks. He would have beat Noons no matter how ugly he looked, that’s just how the Diaz brothers fight. I can’t believe you’re backing a guy like Noons who, prior to Diaz, had never beat a tough MMA fighter in his life. Even now, he’s only beaten two guys of any worth, Yves Edwards and Nick Diaz himself (by a cheesy cut stoppage).

Diaz has faced and beat tougher guys than Noons and will destroy him in the rematch.

• Ken says:

let’s start calling him Acapulco Gold

go Diaz

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Hex: Take a look at this photo and tell me that it was a “cheesy cut stoppage.”

Face it, Diaz was clowned by Noons that night. Will Noons do it again? I don’t know. But Diaz’s latest outings haven’t proved to me that he’ll somehow trounce Noons this time around.

• Jason says:

Screw Nick getting a rematch with KJ Noons, how about Mike Aina gets a rematch with Nick since he got robbed.

• Newport says:

Hex, it’s not how his face looked, it’s that Noons was dominating the action. I don’t back Noons, i just watched the fight and commented on what i saw. I don’t care who wins the re-match, i just wanna see a good fight.

• bDavid says:

shoot i put this on the wrong thread … someone tell Nick Diaz there are WARS in Afghanistan and Iraq right now and your brothers and sisters are serving over seas… you sir are an mma fighter you are NOT in a war .. apologize to anyone serving their country and start acting like a professional

• JoHn says:

#38 dont take it literally, do you think he actually meant a real war, it is a war between 2 individuals, i mean think about their names, the iceman, the king, the irish hand grenade, etc etc., its a figure of speech bro. i was in the military, i dont take offense to him calling it a war, ease up a bit, go punch a bag or something to vent some of your built up frustrations

• Patrick says:

This is all pretty yawntastic if you ask me…

• Trust Doesn't Rust says:

“On the other hand, Noons looks better each time out. He is very focused and explosive. I see noons as a really good striker, with great takedown defense.”

I agree with you. Noons is better than people give him credit for. Chuck Liddell is a decent comparison if you ask me, albeit a poor man’s one; strength is counter-punching, takedown defense is counter-punching and when on the ground just getting back up, accelerates when his opponent is hurt.

“And it was in no way a bad stoppage, Diaz was getting his ass handed to him. Was he cut? Yes. He was cut from Noons pummeling him. It is unfortunate that Diaz makes few excuses, but that is all his fans do.”

I disagree with you here, though. After rewatching the fight, it was actually much closer than I remembered. It’s not necessarily a bad stoppage because of the amount of blood and location of the cut, but Diaz pushed the action for the entire round, was successful on one takedown (after eating the knee that opened the eye cut), and got another takedown just as the bell sounded. Diaz landed plenty of his typical assortment of jabs and leads, but Noons landed three big power shots. Diaz was pretty sloppy on his takedowns to say the least, and was overly methodical when he did have Noons on the ground, but given Diaz’s track record of multi-round wars, and given the fact that he stalked Noons the entire round, I don’t think it’s fair to say that he “got his ass handed to him.”

• HexRei says:

@#38 wow, lighten up. it’s a figure of speech. war is used as a sports metaphor all the time.

• HexRei says:

@#36 I meant cut stoppages are cheesy, not that the cut wasn’t stop-worthy. Diaz had sharp bone ridges and a lot of scar tissue which made him notoriously easy to cut. Noons cut him fair and square, I’m just saying Diaz would not have been finished by Noons, Diaz has never been knocked out, and he has cardio for miles. He usually comes back for the win once his opponent has gassed. Let’s not forget this is a guy that beat Gomi who is one of the top-ranked fighters in the world. He has incredible skill and heart.

• HexRei says:

Oops, I forgot to mention- I think his plastic surgery will make him a lot harder for Noons to cut now. Noons will have to finish him the old fashioned way and I don’t see that happening.

• Kogepan says:

Diaz Bros!

Can’t wait to see him against Mach Sakurai in Dream 5 next month, I figure the fight with noons will be scheduled for ~sept.

And Noons is totally overrated. The guy has less than 10 pro fights, no way he should be fighting for titles at this point. Edwards and Diaz overlooked the guy, and he was luckly to score a cut/flash KO victory.

• fightfan says:

What a tool, both of them. Nick talks about fighting them all, all the best. I thought he LEFT the BEST(the UFC) because he could not win fights. So he thought he would go to the smaller leagues and would be able to be a bad ass, liek his days when he beat on highschool freshman when he was a senior.

Btu still he cant win there. That Aina dude won, Noon beat him silly, and that last one Nick BARELY was able to make it past him. NICK is done. He will be able to win a fight here and there on intimidation, but the REAL athletes will not fall for his crap.

I just dont know how he can talk shit on all the UFC good fighters WHNE HE LEFT them for WEAKER competition?????

Diaz = tool

• fightfan says:

I cant beleive all these people backing the diaz brothers. hey you like who you like. But Nick is calling out fighters in the UFC, AN organization he left because he was never going to put together more than a win or 2 in a row.

So he left the best for less and weaker competition and NOw that he still loses and CANT bully them around he is bitter. Nick thought it would be like th edays when he used to bully on kids much younger and smaller than him in high school. Nick Diaz can go to hell or come BACK to the UFC and fight if he is going to run his mouth.

And even if he beats the just average Noons, is that rally going to make him feel like a champ????? When there are no really tough guys in ELiteXC???? Come on back, Nick the chump Diaz to the UFC. Though he never will because he tried that , did that , couldnrt bully people so he left for weaker pastures.

• DPK says:

I am officially filing this under, who cares. Just Nick Diaz running his mouth

• Mark One says:

To be honest I really hate this kind of crap. Its the kind of stuff sad boxing promoters use to hype their sad boring fights. it doesnt make me want to watch the fight at all. I would much rather to fighters treat each other and the sport with respect.

• Two Toes says:

Diaz talks a lot of shit about wanting to face the best fighters but of course you’ll never see him fight Shields. That’s the only reason he is fighting at 160lbs… All talk and no action from the hypocrite.

• Adam Morgan says:

“Oops, I forgot to mention- I think his plastic surgery will make him a lot harder for Noons to cut now.”

He may not cut as bad, but Noons can still cut him. Even Corbbrey cut him in the last fight.

• bjjdenver says:

#45 Trust doesnt rust–

Thank you for explaining your points and not just making easy remarks.

I can admit, that I probably overestimated how one-sided the fight was imo. Sometimes, I think that is required to counter all the Diaz apologists unrealistic views, lol.

Nick was landing and his strikes are very effective, IF he can stick around long enough for them to accumulate. I don’t dislike Nick and I’m not a huge Noons fan, i just want to see a good fight, but sometimes, Nick Fans make it easy to pull for the other guy. I definitely think the key is for Nick to either get a sub, or take this fight at least into the 3rd round.

And for people complaining about KJ’s father being in the cage, he is a local guy who fought there, that is only common PR sense.

• HexRei says:

@ # 50 fightfan Says:
    June 20th, 2008 at 2:44 am

Diaz = tool

Actually, the UFC opted not to renew his contract, probably more because of his shit talking their golden boy Sanchez. Diaz left the UFC on a 2-fight win streak.

• Rich S. says:

fightfan,
    Diaz couldn’t hang with the UFC’s competition?
    that’s funny because the UFC’s where Nick had the best fights of his life..

oh and,
    “liek his days when he beat on highschool freshman when he was a senior.”

the reason Diaz even started training BJJ was because HE, i repeat, HE was the one getting picked on..

learn your shit before you rant…

• Eric says:

People like the Diaz brothers are great for the sport. They don’t talk trash to build up a fight and then proclaim during the post fight interview that they didn’t mean it and they really love their opponent and have a ton of respect for them. The Diaz brothers talk trash, back it up and hate their opponents. I don’t want to see guys acting tough before the fights only to hug and kiss afterwards like nothing happened (Penn/Sherk comes to mind). If you hate someone, hate them. Don’t kiss ass after the fact.

• kirby says:

Two Toes; Jake Shields and Diaz train together at Cearar Graicie’s. So I bet they spar and roll prety intensly. Also Eric I agree 100 %, if fighters hate each other before the fight it should stay that way. Otherwise, to me, they come across like whores.