Roger Huerta hints at moving up to 170 lbs; GSP to 185?

Here’s a new video from our friends at MMA Rated featuring Roger Huerta talking about his status as a top lightweight contender in the UFC, his plans to eventually move up to 170 lbs. and also about Georges St. Pierre moving to 185 lbs. sooner than later. All very interesting.

• Patrick says:

I think he’s delusional if he thinks he’s going to beat B.J. within a year.

• Numba1Stunna says:

I dont think he is delusional, I know he is delusional if he thinks he will beat BJ in the next year. He has to get past KenFlo first which I don’t even see him doing. THe only part of his game that is better than Florian is maybe his gas tank or his heart, but striking and JJ, I’ll take Florian. BJ wants to go up to fight GSP but GSP wants to go to 185 for Silva. It will be interesting how this plays out…

• Nick says:

anyone else notice that Arianny is ALWAYS around when Roger gets interviewed? I don’t believe either of them, i think they are f-ing. Good for huerta, she is unbelievable.

• Caleb Mock says:

And Silva is going up to 205, next thing you know Quinton Jackson will be fighting Big Nog.

• Evan says:

Silva has been saying for awhile he wants to move up…not sure why people keep forgetting that.

• revjames13 says:

If Huerta beats Florian, which I don’t favor him to do necessarily, but it’s certainly within reason, then I think BJ will wait around to fight him before moving up to 170 for GSP. Penn/Huerta would be a big draw. Of course, BJ would take him apart like a pinata in a mexican prison. Huerta would be crushed a la Stevenson, without even the slightest doubt. Maybe Roger is expecting BJ to move up and that he’d fight for the vacant title. That would not be so delusional, as I could see him having a shot over the rest of the field, with Sherk as the man to beat.

No way GSP is running from Penn and living it down. That is the fight of the ages, possibly for the #1 P4P. I like GSP, how can you not, but it would be a disgrace if he doesn’t stay at 170 long enough to fight BJ.

I think he will and I think BJ will beat him, but you have to make GSP the favorite in that fight. Big mistake, btw, in both Silva and GSP moving up weight classes. Only works for lightweights going to 170 like Penn and Serra.

• Mikemick says:

Move up in weight class? Really? Not only have you never been in a title fight in the UFC, but you’ve never even gone against anyone that has been in a title fight in the UFC. Your biggest challenge was Clay Guida where you squeaked a win against a guy that has lost 5 of his last 9.

I’m not hating on Huerta, but lets just say it is a little early to start dreaming of moving up in weight classes (unless he has trouble cutting weight, then that is a different story). But as far as challenges go, he still has plenty to try to conquer in the Lightweight division of the UFC.

• CaptainAmerica1967 says:

I want to see an old style UFC grandprix where all weight classes fight to see who’s the best overall.

BJ Penn vs GSP vs Silva vs Rampage vs Big Nog (or Couture/Fedor)

• Wang Chung says:

it’s a little rich to hear him mentioning that georges will have to move out of the division before he moves in, like he’s going to make big enough waves to actually make it into the top 3 of the division, a tall fucking order for a guy who fights at lightweight and still hasn’t trounced a top contender. i like roger alot and the fact he’s training with jackson and georges is some serious shit that shows he is serious, but slow down there buddy..

• HexRei says:

@#3 Yep, I think you’re spot on. I’ve heard that Dana isn’t too thrilled by fighters dating ring girls in the past so it’s probably a smart move on their part, and it’s not like either of them needs the paparazzi. They are both smokin hot and successful.

• CacophonyKid says:

What’s with all these fighters wanting to move up weight classes?! Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz never moved up to heavyweight after their long stretches as champs… What has Roger Huerta done to demonstrate that he’ll even be mildly successful at welterweight?

• revjames13 says:

To his credit, he did say that it was his goal to be the best in the world but that he didn’t think he’d ever achieve that goal: “I haven’t reached that goal yet–I don’t think I’ll ever reach that goal, yet…”

Not as long as BJ Penn and GSP and Anderson Silva are on the planet.

• ultmma says:

dude you beat Clay Guida. settle down.
    he’s still very raw in his MMA career we’ll know alot more after the Ken Flo fight.

if he loses we can all point to this video and laugh

thats a pick’em fight in my eyes though still

• Eric says:

Huerta has a lot of faith in his new camp. Nothing wrong with exhuberance.

And for anybody saying somebody can’t beat somebody else, did you fall asleep during 2007?

• rob says:

Captain America – I absolutely wish the same – but there is no way any state athletic board would let that happen – – unless of course the UFC held it in Japan (2PPV’s in Japan). What a shame huh?