5 Oz EXCLUSIVE: Preview of UFC 2009 Video Game coming soon

Our fearless leader Sam Caplan is in Las Vegas right now, minutes away from getting his hands the unreleased UFC 2009 video game.

Sam was invited by the gamemaker THQ to fly to Vegas, preview the game, interview key people involved with the making of the next-gen video game, and provide the readers of FiveOuncesofPain.com with an exclusive preview.

Sam will provide his preview, commentary, interviews and more throughout the weekend. Keep checking back for the latest!

In the meantime, here is a preview video of the UFC 2009 game:

Check FiveOuncesofPain.com for more UFC 2009 content!

• Derek B says:

I’m not a gamer at all. I don’t even own a gaming console, but after watching the previews of this game I might change my mind.

The graphics look really good, and the character model scans is whats going to make this game look and feel real.

Is this the only video out there of the preview?

• ldcpanther says:

It cant be any worse than their first game! Here is to hoping it’s decent.

• platypus says:

what system?

im gonna guess xbox 360

• brett says:

xbox and ps3

• pr0cs says:

I hope Sam has at least some experience playing games so that he can give an educated impression of the game.
    What I’m saying is I hope Sam has at least some experience with gaming since the release of PacMan and Donky Kong.
    Hope to hear about the animation of the game, because to me that is going to be the hardest for the developers to get right, especially in a game about MMA where transitions from striking to wrestling to BJJ are common but difficult to do in a videogame without them looking jarring.
    I expect sadly that this game will look and play like a lot of the wrestling games (I believe the same developer but different team that did the Smackdown games is developing this game).

Too bad we weren’t allowed to submit questions for Sam to ask before he went…

• Sam Caplan says:

Procs, I’m not the biggest gamer in the world but I have a fair amount of experience with video games. I also bought an xBox in 2001 just so I could play UFC Tapout. I also have an eight-year old son and we play xBox 360 together. Again, I’m not an expert, but I think I can give a review that you guys will find useful.

Also, if there are questions you’d like asked, feel free to submit them here. That goes for everyone.

• Derek B says:

heres a question.

Are the ring girls in the game?

and if so can you fight as them?

• Mike Wolfe says:

#7 I hear that you can fight as a ring girl. You draw Kalib Starnes as an opponent, and you win if you can chase him around the octagon without falling off your high heels.

• Zack with a ck says:

I posted this over on Sherdog but didn’t get much intelligent discussion going. What do you guys think of this Hot Sports Opinion….

“More growth will come from a blockbuster video game than a network deal”

It’s 1991, I’m in college in Texas, and I’ve never even seen a hockey game. I don’t know the rules, and the only player I have ever heard of is Wayne Gretzky. 2 months later I know every team, I can recite nearly every roster, I know the nuances of icing and the two-line pass, and mythical heroes such as Sean Chambers are part of my daily conversations. How is that possible?

Sega Genesis NHL Hockey.

Fast forward to 2009. Video game popularity is at a feverish peak. The releases of new versions of Halo, Madden, etc. are more hotly anticipated than new seasons of top TV shows, new movie releases, or popular music. The marketing of video games is huge business and incredibly innovative.

Hordes of backward cap males, 18-34 (and younger), are wasting their college years and young adulthood packing tight bowls and playing video games in marathon stretches. One of them reads on a message board about a kick-ass fighting game where you can slam guys, elbow them in the face, and kick them in the head. There’s graphic blood. They play it for hours yelling “Awwww dude, I f*cking slammed your ass” and the like. They discover specific moves are associated with certain characters and hence each “brah” has a favorite. Some even figure out you can break dudes arms and choke a bitch. One of the nerdier types ventures onto the internet to find out more about the moves and the rest is history.

See where this is headed? Network TV is a f*cking dinosaur. Hell, TV as we currently know it is likely to be a dinosaur. A really fantastic video game and a great marketing campaign will grow the sport exponentially more than a network deal.

• Jay says:

Sam,

Get a firm release date!! or better yet, steal me a copy!

• joe says:

mos def true zack. i hope this game is good but it is thq who arent know for the best product and since they do the wwf game, i think this will be very wrestling game-ish not for a true mma person. why did they have ‘page there with all these low tier card guys though at least give us kenflo if u cant give us anderson

• Zack with a ck says:

Yeah, a relative of mine (staying vague to prevent identification) was one of the key people at THQ on the marketing of the original PRIDE FC game and the WWF games. It’s how I got into MMA. In ’02 I thought MMA was “ultimate fighting” and that it was illegal and people actually died in the cage. The relative laughed at me, showed me a bunch of PRIDE VHS tapes, made me play the game over and over, and I was basically hooked after that. I’m one of those that was hooked by watching Royce tap out guys much bigger and stronger than him. I know its popular to diminish Royce these days, but I owe him for getting me into the best sport around.

• Rich S. says:

wait, Sam, will you be getting us some kind of actual “gameplay” preview? if so, i’ve been waiting for that for like.. a full year now.. and i would be sooo greatful..

i’m a video game FREAK. i bought UFC Tapout 2 a few years back, and i was totally saddened by the game’s performance.. and then, i bought the pride game, and it was better, but it was still all telegraphed stuff, nothing flowed.

here’s a few questions, Sam:

How big will the roster be?

What will the story mode be like?

Will there be any kind of Multiplayer, or online multiplayer?

and some sort of release date would be wonderful!

thanks.

• Sam Caplan says:

Keep the questions coming, guys.

• Derek B says:

Here’s a good question.

How do you prepare for your fights?

Is there any training type of mini-games? Like Cardio Training, Strength Training, etc…?

Is there a “TUF” option in the game where you get to create your character and put him through “TUF” kinda like a campaign mode?

Are there any fighters from WEC that will be unlockable?

Thats all I got.

• bjjdenver says:

Zack,

your post about games helping spread the popularity is spot on.

I was thinking the same thing earlier, and my reference was Madden. I was always a sports nut and vg nut, but I saw how Madden drew new fans to the NFL.

I think HD (and beyond) TV, video games, gambling and fantasy leagues, have and will draw more and more fans.

I was reading an article the other day about how HD tv has drawn people to some fringe sports because of the picture and the ability to see the action better. Golf, hockey and so on.

• Rich S. says:

well, the article is trippy, because, it says you’re “minutes away”.. but i suppose i’ll post another question anyway..

it pertains to something that annoyed me about the other games..

will there be a health bar again, or will KO’s and sub’s depend on luck, position, skill, timing, etc.?

and how long will the bouts play out? because, in the last games, you could end every fight in a matter of seconds..

• Kyle says:

Is there a reason youve been advertising the exclusive preview all day yet you have not posted it?

• crum says:

Yeah^^^^^ how about that……

• crum says: