UFC newcomers chosen to help fill out UFC Fight Night 14 bout sheet

With a lot of fights to sign and little time to do so in anticipation of its UFC Fight Night 14 card that is scheduled to oppose Affliction’s pay-per-view on July 19, the UFC apparently is turning to newcomers to help fill out the bout sheet.

MMAJunkie.com has reported in recent days that fights between Dale Hartt vs. Shannon Gugherty, Nate Loughran vs. Johnny Rees, and Brad Blackburn vs. James Giboo are all tentatively scheduled for the event.

UFN 14 would mark the official UFC debuts of all six fighters on a card that is already scheduled to feature bouts between Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin, Brandon Vera vs. Reese Andy, Frankie Edgar vs. Hermes Franca, Cain Velasquez vs. Jake O’Brien, and Anthony Johnson vs. Kevin Burns.

The inclusion of Andy and Blackburn is very intriguing, as they were two of the IFL’s better fighters. In the past, it has been said that the UFC has such a bias against the upstart New York-based fight promotion that it wouldn’t sign any of its fighters.

However, there doesn’t appear to be a bias, as in recent months the UFC has selected former IFL fighters such as Gerald Harris, Mike Dolce, and Dante Rivera for the cast of its seventh installment of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality TV show. Now, with the recent signings of other former IFL fighters such as Blackburn, Andy, and Andre Gusmao in recent weeks, the anti-IFL theory has been blown completely out of the water.

• matt says:

I for one am excited to see Blackburn. I’m hoping that the main card fights are finished quickly so we can see the undercard on TV as well. I do have a UFC on demand account but it tends to be more fun watching the fights all in one night.

• Evan says:

This is why I never understand why people were making such a stink about the UFC trimming its roster..we get to see fresh faces and everyone that was cut will come back if they get it together again.

• DPK says:

Nothing like a bunch of guys trying to make a good first impression, these should be some good fights.

• Tim says:

Rumours are floating around that Rory Markham has signed with the UFC as well.

I’d imagine he would be on this card given the newcomer feel.

• matt says:

Tim, I haven’t heard that. That’d be a big pick up for the UFC. Markham is a great fighter/prospect and his fights in the IFL have always been good.

• bjjdenver says:

I will never bitch about free MMA, but there is absolutely, positively NO way I would forgo the Affliction card (which could be better) for this card.

I will, however, DVR it, and watch it afterwards. I’m sure there will be some good fights.

• Bill Lumberg says:

I am boycotting the Affliction card for the fact they are treating mma like the wwe by having MegaDeath perform!! Didn’t they see what the Dancing girls, performing rappers, and Boroni joke of an entrance before getting Ko’ed looked like on CBS. Dont get me wrong though I will watch the fights online, but dont care to pay $40 to some jokers who treat us like fools.