TUF 7 Finale: Dustin Hazelett awarded $40,000 in bonuses for “Fight of the Night” and “Submission of the Night”

hazelett_burkman4.jpgLas Vegas, Nevada – Amir Sadollah may have earned the title of the winner for the seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” but it was Dustin Hazelett who perhaps is walking out of the TUF 7 live season finale as the event’s biggest winner.

Hazelett, a member of Team Jorge Gurgel in Ohio, fought Josh Burkman during the non-televised portion of the fight card. Despite giving up noticeable strength to Burkman, Hazelett still walked away the victor after executing an armbar following a whizzer.

The beautiful sequence earned Hazelett a bonus for “Submission of the Night,” which will be paid to him on top of his guarantee and win bonus. However, Hazelett was awarded a second bonus when both he and Burkman were awarded”Fight of the Night” honors.

The value of each bonus for the event is $20,000, meaning that Hazelett will receive a total of $40,000 in bonus money.

Drew McFedries was also awarded a bonus for the “Knockout of the Night,” following his lopsided first round TKO over veteran Marvin Eastman.

News and Views:

A source has revealed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is likely to defend his interim UFC heavyweight title against Frank Mir during the UFC’s year end event on December 29.

Conspicuous by its absence from the card was an advertised undercard matchup between Tim Credeur and Cale Yabrough. The UFC did not make an official announcement that the bout had been canceled. However, Five Ounces of Pain learned from a source speaking on the condition of anonymity that the bout was pulled from the show because Credeur failed a drug test. The source indicated that Credeur tested positive for Adderall. While we were not able to contact Credeur for comment, the source indicated that the drug is prescribed to Credeur to help counteract the effects of Attention Deficit Disorder.

There was a rumor making the rounds at the Palms Hotel & Casino that former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz had re-signed with the company. When contacted by Five Ounces of Pain via text message, Ortiz indicated that the rumor was false.

Speaking of Ortiz, as he had stated on the Underground forum, he was indeed in attendance during the TUF 7 Finale. However, there was no confrontation of any kind between he and UFC President Dana White.

No one can dispute that Hazelett vs. Burkman was a great fight, however, my vote would go to the undercard welterweight matchup between Matt Brown and Matt Arroyo. Saturday’s bout was actually a rematch between the two, as they had fought each other once outside of the UFC in 2006. Brown was victorious in the first encounter and won last night’s bout as well. However, it didn’t look like he was going to come away a winner initially. Arroyo got out to a fast start and stunned Brown. Showing improved standup since his last UFC appearance, the Gracie Tampa product was able to bruise Brown’s face in several places.

The outcome of the fight could have proved differently had Arroyo not injured his ankle in the first round. Brian Bereck sponsored Arroyo through his company The Abacus Group and also cornered him as well and according to him, Arroyo was taken to the hospital following his fight. His ankle was so swollen that there was concern it might be fractured. Arroyo had not gotten his test results back as we went to press.

Arroyo and Brown were very verbal during their fight. During the fight’s finish in the second round, Arroyo was on his back while Brown was reigning down punches on him. According to Arroyo’s corner, he kept challenging Brown to drop down in order to test his jiu-jitsu. Brown obviously declined and finished the fight via strikes. Arroyo’s corner indicated that Brown’s posture during the closing sequence was superb and made it difficult for Arroyo to escape.

Many people, including the fighters themselves, had speculated that the loser of Saturday’s main event between Kendall Grove and Evan Tanner would be released by the UFC. However, the UFC itself has never made such a proclamation. And while Tanner did not look like the fighter he’s been in the past, he still went the distance and showed amazing toughness. Nobody can say for sure, but I consider it highly unlikely that the promotion will drop him at this point.

According to a public relations official from the UFC, the TUF 7 Finale was a sellout.

The TUF 7 finale was the first event I have ever seen at the Pearl at the Palms. I must say, that it is without question the best venue I’ve ever seen an MMA show in.

– Matt Riddle now trains with Todd and Trevor Lally of Arizona Combat Sports, which is also home to C.B. Dalloway. The 22-year old still looked somewhat green, but showed marked improvement. Also showing tremendous signs of improvement were Hazelett, Arroyo’s standup, and Diego Sanchez’s standup. In regards to Diaz, it was the longest duration in which we’ve seen him fight on his feet.

Phil Baroni was in attendance at the event and has stated publicly that his next fight will be at welterweight. Baroni looked extremely slim and it doesn’t appear as though cutting down to the 170 pound weight limit will be too much of a problem for him.

It’s a shame the undercard wasn’t televised, because it was outstanding. There wasn’t a bad fight on it.

• Lance Thomas says:

How can Tito talk all that noise about the UFC and then even consider resigning with them. I guess it all boils down to $$$$$$ in the end. Great write up Sam, I am glad you attended a UFC card and gave us an accurate assesment of it. By the way, C.B. Dollaway’s stock has dropped considerably and he is nowhere near ready for the UFC’s middleweight division. He has to cut to Welterweight or drop down to smaller shows, if Amir can control his posture, imagine what a black belt BJJ could do.

• Of course Nog vs Mir is at the end of the year. As well as Hughes vs Serra. That will be the double to sell the event.

• mo says:

my thoughts were that Tito’s “slap” was him sitting in the camera shot probably more then 50% of the time where you couln’t miss him with those white pants that he constantly sat in akwardly. That and the Grove advertisement for Punishment Athletics was maybe what Tito was inferring as a way to get back at Dana. Good hype by Tito, and maybe that helps him encourage his punishment athletics line, who knows

• paddiosf says:

someone please explain why Noguiera is still the interim? Is it Dana and the UFC think Randy is coming back or they don’t want to give it to him..I think its a slap in the face and I personally think they want Mir or Vera a english speaking fighter to have the Belt..

• Erik W. says:

paddiosf:

They won’t remove the belt from Randy while the court case is in litigation. It would send the wrong signal and could be something Randy’s lawyers would capitalize on.

• Erin says:

#4- that middleweight champion since October of ’06 really hasn’t had too much problem not knowing English, has he?

I do, however, know what you are saying… I think #5 explains it quite well. The UFC Heavyweight belt comes down to money right now.

• Erin says:

Plus, I get more pissed of over fighters giving glory to Jesus for their beating an opponent in a bout of physical combat. I am no where near a Christian, but I’m pretty sure Joshua would frown upon evoking His name for making a fellow human suffer after you laid hands upon him.

I think, in that, Spencer showed a ton of class (and I was worried about another MFS : I gotta give glory to Jesus!).

More beer for me…

• Anthony says:

Big Nog wins the title on 2/2 and doesn’t get his first defense until 12/29. Damn you TUF8!

• C-Pop says:

Yeah, and what if he gets injuried and can’t defend like Serra, would they put Mir and Verdum in an interim, interim champ match?

• Two Toes says:

The have a free replay of the Hazelett-Burkman match up at http://www.UFC.com. Was an excellent bout, to say the least.

• Cipher says:

#7 Why do you hate fighter thanking Jesus.

I am christian, but if a fighter was another religion and they thank their God I would have no problem with it. Besides, MMA is not Christian or Non-Christian. It is a sport, most matches end with the fighters hugging and shaking hands, with more respect for each other. The bible also used fighting terminology for its faith, so I think it is all good.

Oh yeah, I would like to thank Jesus for helping me do this post.

• rob says:

Phil Baroni at 70? What so we can watch a more slimmed down version gas even quicker? Remember kids “Hit the books – don’t throw hooks” – Phil Baroni

• mike wolfe says:

I think there could be a whole line of merchandise out their for the Christian fighters and fans. T-shits and bumper stickers with “WWJS” (who would Jesus submit) or “WWJHK” (who would Jesus high kick), for example.

• JOe K. says:

# 10 Two Toes

Thanks for the heads up on that fight of the night replay. That was some sweet jits.

#13

WWJLAPTFISTTBOTH

Who would Jesus lose a point to for illegal strikes to the back of the head?

• JollyDV says:

I haven’t seen any of the undercard yet, but can’t wait to see it. As for the main card, I thought it was pretty good.

Riddles fight was fairly exciting and I could see the improvement in Riddle as well as Dante.

Fisher/Stephens was really exciting. I always root for Fisher, but I thought Stephens handled himself well for such a young fighter and I see a bright future for him.

Sanchez/Luigi had me yelling at the TV! I knew it would end with a KO or TKO, they were just going for the KO. Personally, I thought Luigi did well against Sanchez, but Sanchez’s stand up was much better than he or I expected.

Amir/CB was almost a replay of the semi-final only it ended 12 minutes before the first one did. Congrats to Amir Saddalah.

Groves/Tanner wasn’t the greatest fight on the card by far, and it kinda felt like watching the Matt Hughes fight the other week against Thiago. You knew that Matt was getting beat, and he showed his age. Same with Tanner. Yes, he hung in for the 3 rounds but he was dominated by Groves in all 3. Tanner showed his age. It wasn’t just the beard/caveman look, he just didn’t seem to get it all together during the fight.

Happy for Drew McFedries who has had a most difficult year personally. Nice job!

As for the thanking Jesus, I see it as they are thanking him for the strength to train for the fight, the ability to overcome obstacles that arise preparing for a fight, etc. etc. I don’t think they are thanking him for allowing them to beat someones face in or however it was worded. To me, it is their faith that helps them achieve their dreams and goals (which happen to be MMA fights in this case) and they are just verbally showing their thanks and giving the Lord the praise for it. Public displays of any religion can draw ire and criticism from those who don’t share the same religion and from those who don’t understand what faith can do for a person. As a Christian , I understand the importance of faith. As a caring human being, I understand the tolerance needed for believers in all religions. If a fighter choses to give thanks to his higher power, then props to him, because only he knows how his faith has moved him. Whether he is thanking:his trainers and coaches, his mother, his wife or girlfriend, the UFC, or his God, it doesn’t matter. He was victorious and it is his chance to say thank you to those he felt helped him win. To point out a fighter for thanking Jesus makes no sense to me and just shows that more religious tolerance is needed in our world.

• mike wolfe says:

#15

I have no issue with professions of faith whether in the octagon or out of it. It’s a fine line, but I think you can be devout and have a sense of humor about your faith at the same time. My remarks in post 13 were not intended to be hostile or unkind or sarcastic

• JollyDV says:

Mike Wolfe- When I was typing my comment,your #13 post was not even there. I was referring to the post by Erin, #7.

He said,”Plus, I get more pissed of over fighters giving glory to Jesus for their beating an opponent in a bout of physical combat.”

Mike your post #13 is fine. I think it is actually not a bad idea. You may have something with that.

• Lark says:

Why is the Palms the best place for an MMA show?

• Erik W. says:

When a fighter thanks Jesus after a win, it’s basically the same as saying, “Thank you Lord for allowing me to hit my opponent so hard he has a concussion now.”

Kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

• JollyDV says:

#18 You just made my point.
    You can’t speculate what it means when a person thanks Jesus. No one can. Only the person doing thanking knows what it means.

If you think about it, it is kind of ridiculous to say that you know what someone means when they thank Jesus.

• JollyDV says:

correction: #19 Erik W.

• Cipher says:

JBAB – Jesus by arm bar. Here is a thought, if thanking Jesus is weird because you think he is thanking him for helping smash another guy sleep, then why is it ok for the fighters to thank their moms, dads, wives, children, states and countries. Did their wives help them win by TKO. I agree that thanking God is probably more about the benifit given to the fighter for having that in their lives.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

It’s weird how an intelligent MMA fan can regress into a Bill Reilly-frame of thought when God comes into play.

All of a sudden, MMA stops being a sport… an art where men and women sacrifice so much to compete at the highest level doing something they love and it becomes all about “knocking dudes teeth out” or “giving some a concussion” or just “fucking someone up.”

• mike wolfe says:

#23 Sergio

If you’re suggesting that somebody knock Bill O’Reilly’s teeth out, I’m willing to debate the subject. Also to nominate some other candidates for the same.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Mike, I wasn’t suggesting it overtly but anytime I bring up Bill O’Reilly, it’s always there in the subtext…

• HexRei says:

It annoys me when a fighter brings up god, too. Any god. I’m not saying it should be disallowed, but if they’re allowed to bring it up then I’m allowed to think its a waste of time. I feel its about as relevant as thanking the leprechauns for giving you the luck ‘o the irish.

• Blake says:

The interesting thing is, a Christian who loses will be thanking God for the experience as well, although it might not be the first thing on his mind. Makes me think of football players from both teams who gather on the field at the end of the game to pray together, regardless of whether they won or lost.

Regarding the fights, I enjoyed them for the most part, but thought that the pacing of the show was rather slow, especially at the beginning.

Btw nice site, Sam, been lurking here for awhile. I’m an ex-wrestler who enjoys sports and have been watching MMA for the last year or so. I check out UFC.com and here pretty much every day, keep up the great work!

• JOe K. says:

Its clear that these guys are sponsored by Jesus.

• Caleb Newby says:

^Jesus Didn’t Tap MMA clothing line.

It’s already out there folks!

• […] Hazelett was awarded Fight of the Night and Submission of the Night bonuses for his performance Saturday night. This bout was on the undercard so many UFC fans […]