Pros and Cons: TUF 7 Finale

Con. Making Evan Tanner fight in Las Vegas. Come on now, you have global expansion and new cards popping up in Minnesota and Georgia and you tell Evan Tanner, perhaps the most addiction-riddled fighter you have, to headline in Las Vegas? Why don’t you just pay him in Crown Royal and casino chips? I’m not saying it is in any way the UFC’s responsibility to protect Evan Tanner from himself, he’ll find a way regardless. If you found out Jason Lambert was addicted to wine and cheese would you put him on the first card in Paris? Oh, breaking news…. EXC is headlining their first ever show in Jamaica. Nick Diaz, phone call on line one. Again, not their faults, there’s just something really funny about it.

Pro. July 19th UFC show. Awesome, something to tivo for after I buy and watch Affliction. I’m not going to complain about free MMA, I just fail to see the point. Who was going to get the Affliction show that won’t now? Like 7? Only like 200 people in the entire world even know about the Affliction show and like 20 of them are fighting on the card. The only thing I could think of is that they wanted to make sure random bar TVs were tuned into the UFC instead of Affliction. That I could see. But at the same time you’re then basing your business decisions around people at Hooters. Thanks for the show though.

Con. Evan Tanner losing. We all know this was the top con to come out of the show. I’ve seen multiple people write that it makes them uncomfortable to see him get beat up. Maybe it’s a father figure thing. Or maybe I’m the only one with a bearded alcohol father. Either way it’s like Rich Franklin fighting Anderson Silva. We just kind of cringe and wish he’d get out of there because it’s like watching a homeless person get beat up by an unruly teenager. Props to Kendall Grove for showing up and handling your business but stop beating up our dad.

Pro. Cecil Peoples. My boy continues to rep by adding to his record of times he’s been the only differing score after a fight. I’m not going to beat a dead horse but we have MMA stat people and analysts at this point, right? People that come up with all these fancy sabermetric figures and statistics? Can we get one on how many times Cecil Peoples has had a different score than two agreeing judges? Ballpark me. I want to know this. Sam, can you hire Stats Inc.?

Con. Al Lefkowitz. Who in the hell do you think you are giving that Grove/Tanner fight to Tanner? You sir are no Cecil Peoples and you never will be. Cecil does it for fun because he’s a wacky guy, you saying Tanner beat Grove is just a dick move. Did they sit you behind a concrete beam? Do you like beards? Did you want to thank him for breaking out that picture that showed the UFC gets that awesome misty black background by having a chubby lady stand on a chair with a spray bottle? I don’t even have the words. I tried to Google image search that name just to project anger at a face and I swear to God the first picture is a guy in a football helmet from a 1950′s era picture eating a raw steak being held up by an old Spanish woman.

Con. UFC official records. We’re all used to seeing each and every official record be slightly better than what a fight finder would show it to be. This can be understandable and explained that early smaller fights were never officially recorded. I get that. Could someone explain CB Dollaway’s record progression this year? I believe he came to the show 6-0 and when he fought on the finale he was 7-1. Obviously they counted his semi-final loss as an official fight. And then I suppose his second semi-final comeback as a win. Were these really official? Is it because they start the three round format then? You can’t tell me the early round fights are amateur fights when you have the NSAC there overlooking everything and the winner gets thousands of dollars. I thought the very definition of an amateur was someone that doesn’t get paid for their work. Or maybe there are loopholes everywhere and this is all exactly what they’re supposed to do. Hopefully we’ll never see anything as bad as former TUF cast member Kristian Rotharmel and his hundred fights when Sherdog had him at 4-3 again.

Pro. Phil Baroni cutting to 170lbs. I more or less go out of my way to not insult the fighters but my exception to the rule seems to always be Hammer House. I love Phil Baroni. I love his pre-fight talking, I love his lack of vocabulary and I love watching him gas in 40 seconds. So what’s the answer for the man who can’t fight longer than four minutes? Why cut another weight class of course. Brilliant news. Yes, cutting 15 extra pounds should certainly help. The only way this is smart is if he’s naturally going to lose 15lbs of muscle for some mysterious reason. Hmmm…. what, don’t look at me, it’s not like it’s just speculation.

Con. People calling out Kimbo. Okay, I just added this one. We get it, you don’t respect him enough to think he deserves all of this fame and publicity yet you respect it enough to want to cash in on a match with him yourself. Isn’t that like insulting the people on that MTV show “The Hills” and then lobbying to get a guest appearance? I’ve worked with Paul Buentello in the past and to his credit he’s a really smart, decent guy that was doing it while Kimbo was still the internet guy. But he started a trend of every Tom, Dick and Harry popping up rambling on with a pro wrestling monologue calling him out. Who will it be tomorrow? Oh, Kevin Randleman and Kimo. Yay. We know when guys like Jeff Monson call him out that (a) he ain’t gettin’ the fight and (b) he’d beat him. So what’s the point? It’s especially funny when you hear it from guys that probably couldn’t beat him anyway.

• Jim says:

Who was going to get the Affliction show that won’t now? Like 7? Only like 200 people in the entire world even know about the Affliction show and like 20 of them are fighting on the [UFC] card.

Hahaha, this is just awesome. Funniest thing I’ve read all week. Great rant, you really summed up my feelings about the UFN 14 card perfectly.

• rob says:

ricco rodriguez / kimbo slice book it for national tv!!!!

• Bruce says:

Okay, so maybe I missed the point about Tanner fighting in Vegas. I mean, after all, Tanner LIVES in Vegas.

• Ian says:

Yeah, I’ve been saying this all along. I don’t know a single person that was going to buy the Affliction card that now isn’t.

In fact, outside of where I train, I don’t know a single person that knows about the Affliction card period until I tell them about it. I start talking about Fedor, or basically anyone not named Kimbo or Chuck and their eyes just sort of glaze over.

The bar theory is a good one, but I’ve got to believe it was done more so that Affliction wouldn’t be the only thing people were talking about that week in MMA media circles.

• Evan says:

“I don’t know a single person that was going to buy the Affliction card that now isn’t. ”

Count me in as one. I spend a fortune on MMA PPV’s every year so any excuse I can use to not buy one I go for.

• RealDrew says:

I disagree with you on the anti-affliction show. I think this show is really going to hurt Affliction and not just through PPV.

First of all, I don’t think Affliction has a marketing department. Have you seen anthing about this show anywhere outside of the MMA blogs? The hardcores will watch affliction, no doubt, but why would the casual fan spend $40 when they can watch the UFC for free? There will be some hardcore fans who aren’t going to want to shell out the $40-50 and will settle watching the videos after the fact.

Also, who is going to get the press? Affliction will be sharing the attention with the UFC. ESPN and some of the major media outlets will give the UFC first billing. My guess is that the affliction show doesn’t even break 100k buys, which is unfortunate because they have a great card lined up.

• tony says:

Evan Tanner lives in vegas genius.

• bjjdenver says:

Doesn’t Tanner now live and train in Vegas?

I didn’t think Tanner got “beat up” that badly. Yes a couple of elbows opened him up, but it wasn’t like he was wrecked after they wiped the blood away. That said, it looks like the game has passed him up. Of course grove poses matchup problems with just about everyone, but Tanner still looked flat and grove wasn’t that impressive.

UFC should give Peoples a bonus. He finds ways to make routine decisions interesting. This guy saved mma! Lefkowitz, I know Cecil Peoples, and you sir…are NO Cecil Peoples!

Standardization of fighter records would be great. But what would happen to Rickson?

Phil Baroni cutting weight…look out Faber!

I called out Kimbo and got no response from him. Chicken.

Seriously, he should market “I called out Kimbo!” T-shirts, that would be funny.

• bjjdenver says:

And they could have the EXC cheerleading squad shoot the T-shirts into the crowd with an air cannon between fights! EXC…I love this game!

• Evan says:

Oh yeah and on the Tanner Vegas thing…search his blog…his Jeep got broken into the first few days he moved there. Poor dude is such a trainwreck.

• Zack with a ck says:

I think the bar business represents quite a chunk of exposure and revenue, so the UFC’s counter move is actually pretty deadly.

If Affliction’s model is only to appeal to hardcores and slavering fanboys, then good luck in debtor’s jail. They clearly were hoping for something better than just us keyboard warrior’s buying the card.

PS – I also won’t be buying it. I hear it will be on HDNET in the weeks after. None of those fights are “can’t miss” – heavyweight fights have the highest potential for boredom. Fedor will armbar Timmy the first time it goes to the ground. I don’t need to spend $40 to watch an inevitability.

• The Legend says:

Evan Tanner lives in Vegas, having him main event there isn’t a con in my eyes.

• And I was fully aware of where Evan Tanner is. It’s called a uh…. what’s the word…. joke. Christ.

• bjjdenver says:

Zack, where did you hear that about HDNet? Last i heard, the deal for them fell apart, but they were still hoping to get things worked out for future shows. I’m loving HDNet for mma.

Also, Atencio said the other day that their big advertising and PR push is yet to come. I think he said it starts this weekend. So far, other than us fans debating them, i have heard nothing outside of a logo and date on the mat at the Adrenaline show.

• bjjdenver says:

Huckaby, i got the joke. Just hoping it was a slow build to deliver the Diaz in Jamaica line, lol, that was good.

• Zack with a ck says:

bjjd – I’d heard that the idea of live co-promoted shows had fallen through, but that rebroadcasts were still in the works.

I think Evan usually has some “insider” knowledge about HDNET? Evan?

• tony says:

# 12 Michael Huckaby Says:
    June 23rd, 2008 at 2:24 pm

settle down huckaby.

• ACK! says:

About the Affliction show: I think it’s interesting how more people are talking about this event than before UFN 14 was announced…

And I totally agree with the Kimbo Con. Perfectly worded.

• Evan says:

#15 – up in the air right now just like you said. Although if they made the announcement it would hurt affliction PPV sales so I doubt they would make it public until after the show.

• Suqleg says:

Some things worth mentioning from what I noticed are,

I think the purpose for the JULY 19th UFc card is more about the headlines on Monday and less about competition on saturday. If they can get affliction mentioned less while expanding their own brand even a little it allows for the tingly feeling that only a good “FUCK YOU” can bring and they make a lil money on the side too. It is pure spite for sure but since when is spite not a good reason to do something?

The Semi finals were official 3 round fights (first time having that since they brought in 2+1 exhibition) and that they are paid by spike for competing in the contest (just like eating bugs on fear factor) I have no idea how the UFC gets around giving them the other 5k though.

• ACK! says:

Actually, I agree with all the points–great article!

• bjjdenver says:

Nice. Go Cuban, go!!

Thanks ZackCK and Evan.

• bjjdenver says:

Now if they could just get WVR on HDNet as well.

• Al says:

> But at the same time you’re then basing your business decisions around people at Hooters

And rightly so. Casual fans are what take a sport (or any form of entertainment) from the niche into the mainstream.

• joe says:

mike, were u saying the snowman can or cant beat kimbo? i hope it was the the former and not the later. it is getting nuts that everyone is calling him out

anyhow, i never understood rothermels bloated record either. it was something of underground legend statis and the face and performance just never matched the eye popping record

• DanS says:

The only advertising i’ve seen for the affliction card is at the mall when I went into the Buckle.

• HexRei says:

@#12: Alright Mike, but it sure seems like you forgot, or expected the readers of the joke to forget. The joke doesn’t make a lot of sense in light of the fact that he’s been living in Vegas for many months, maybe even over a year now IIRC.

• Bofa Dees says:

I agree, I think that the non-promoting will hurt Affliction. I was at the free fights in Vegas this weekend, and a couple of the fighters on the Affliction card were handing out fliers. Meanwhile none of the UFC fighters were even promoting their upcoming fights. I will be getting the Affliction card, but think that it is sad that the fighters are left to promote themselves.

• Brandon Sanchez says:

This was so funny. Thank you Michael, you are a funny man, and you should show it off more.

• Grape Knee High says:

The Tanner joke only works if you didn’t know that he’s been living in Vegas for a while now.

• Not if you consider he gambled away his last check when he lost in I believe Ohio and then for his next fight he loses in an actual casino in Vegas.

• ultmma says:

#9 the sad thing it was Tanner breaking into his own jeep…..too soon?

• Evan says:

#28 and #29….how do you guys know this?

• Evan says:

I meant #28 only…

• smoogleton says:

“Only like 200 people in the entire world even know about the Affliction show and like 20 of them are fighting on the card.”

Wow the writing on this site has taken a nose dive

• D says:

Am I the only one who thought that Huck’s paragraph on Al Lefkowitz spiralled into the utter madness?

I’m gonna need clarification on the last two references Hucakby.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Michael Huckaby,WAMMA needs you.

• HexRei says:

On the last one: “Calling out Kimbo” Fighters do it because they are frustrated at having put in years in the sport but seeing Kimbo get on the cover of ESPN with 2 fights against cans. They call him out in public because the problem is public perception in the first place. They want to change that perception, so they call him out.

It’s a win win situation for a fighter like Monson because if they are ignored and then Kimbo fights yet another can, it’s clear that Shaw and Kimbo are doding yet another tough but affordable competitor, and if they actually get taken up, they get to the show the world that Kimbo is 99% hype.

Why shoudn’t these fighters call out Kimbo in the media? That’s just intelligent marketing and the more it happens the more likely it is that Kimbo and/or Shaw will make a mistake and actually take on someone that is too much for him to handle. And then the house of cards comes tumbling down.

• HexRei says:

doding = dodging

• Bofa Dees says:

#33 I know this because I saw it first hand. Fighters on the upcoming Affliction card were handing out promotion cards for it. Other than these sites I havent heard anything about the fights and they are in 3 weeks. We hear about UFC events months in advance. If they are shooting for the hardcore audience, they will be missing out.

• Evan says:

Thanks Bofa, that very interesting!!!!

• sharaab says:

sorry, but monson would kimbo.

• Ken says:

it think ufc counter-programming affliction can only diminish affliction’s event. now, whenever affliction is mentioned in the news or promos, they will also mention the UFC card which, by the way, is free. and free is a very good price. when it comes to marketing, “free” is the best word there is.

• Ken says:

p.s.

but…the affliction card is so juicy i may have to fly to LA for it.

• HexRei says:

@#42 I think there’s a verb missing from that sentence.

• Nah there’s not. He would. He would.

• screwface says:

fully enjoyed your rant, laughed lots. Comment on tanner and kimbos beard tho. Unfair advantage, its like a shock absorber for your face, if you can knock out a guy with zz top beard, then you def have some knockout hands :)

• Brandon Sanchez says:

#35, come on. Writing on the site has not taken a nose dive. You know what articles are going to have a ‘serious’ tone. You also know in the ‘Rantings/Reviews’ that most of the guys do, they are voicing their sole opinions, and showing another side of themselves. If you don’t agree with their opinions and don’t want to hear them, I would suggest not reading these types of articles.

• Vern says:

Huckaby is the best writer ever. I wish he would write the bible.

• It would be a very different book.

• Vern says:

On the 8th day God created Peyton Manning and Bobby Knight. So it was written

• And Keith Smart and Reggie Miller. You are a saint Vern.

• Kogepan says:

Last Fight Night sucked hard, and so will UFN14. For all the talk of the UFC cutting fighters etc they are STILL putting on cards with various stiffs and tomato cans. Grove vs Tanner as the main event? That wouldn’t have even been on the televised card of the last ELITEXC event for chrissakes. And now they have James ‘the Gimp’ Irvin in the next main event as cannon fodder for Anderson Silva at 205? WTF. Youtube material at best.

• stevefiji says:

A gigantic ‘I second that motion’ for your PRO to July 19th UFC…..
    Affliction less Fedor is a whitewash of UFC cast-offs….It’s a B- card at best….remove Barnett and its C+. The UFC is smart. What is MMA itself but ‘survival of the fittest’ and ‘by any means necessary’. So why can’t managements play the same way?

Let’s keep it as one belt that really matters. Let Fedor and Barnett step into the Octagon and stop ducking the best for whatever bogus reasons they wanna convey. Penn, Liddell, A Silva, Jackson, and GSP will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime for any price and that’s why we love them… and that my friends is why Fedor and the UFC castaway island crew will not sell. Cheers Mates!

• Procannonfodder says:

#53 Are you kidding? If Gary Shaw had Tanner, he would be promoted as a legendary mma champion and pioneer and we might never had even heard of Kimbo in that case….hmmmm Damn, I wish Tracksuit had Tanner in EliteXC.

• darkmetal says:

I don’t think anyone can say that the next UFN will feature the “can” Anderson Silva, no?

As for calling out Kimbo, this all started happening when Kimbo called out Chuck Liddell, and I think knowing full well that Liddell couldn’t fight him outside of the UFC. Heck, anyone could call out the Iceman the same way. However, some of these fighters like Monson CAN fight Kimbo in EliteXC, and it should be interesting if Kimbo will make the same bold statements as he did with Liddell….somehow I doubt it.

Poor Tanner, he went from Guida like hair, to shaved head, and now to a Nick Nolte homeless man beard. It seems that his days in the UFC may finally be drawing to an end.

• chris says: