Couture Picks Forrest

Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture recently gave his prediction for UFC 86’s main event between Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson and Forrest Griffin to Naluta.com.br

“Forrest is training at Extreme Couture and he’ll have a great chance
against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. It is going to be a superb fight. Forrest
has a war spirit and will get into the octagon and do his best performance.
Both fighters like to hit stand-up, Forrest improved Wrestling and his Jiu
Jitsu is good. Robert Drysdale and others Jiu Jitsu guys came to the team
and helped him a lot. Quinton is an excellent athlete, has heavy hands, and
he is explosive. These factors become the fight more attractive.”

The former UFC heavyweight champion bets Griffin.

This post brought to you by PunchDrunkGamer.com:

pdg_72dpi.jpg

• T476 says:

I like Forrest but I will eat my hat if he wins against Rampage. (I don’t wear a hat but still, I do not see him winning.)

• Rich B says:

Well who else is he going to pick?

• drdsanders says:

Until his fight with Jardine, Forrest was known to have a solid chin. Rampage certainly can take a punch. In the standup I would think Forrest is going to need to rely on jabs and leg kicks.
    Coutures predictions are great and I’ve yet to check the odds but I’d be surprised if Jackson isn’t favored.

• Couture’s picks meant more when the fights did not involve people he trains with that make him biased.

• Vern says:

I hope he does better than that other person couture trained, his wife.

• BURN VIA VERN.

• Michaelthebox says:

Oh snap!

• Vern says:

To #3, Rampage can take punches just not knees.

• DPK says:

Forrest has a chance, but I think Rampage is going to be too much for him in the end. But then again who had Forrest beating Shogun.

• mike wolfe says:

Back when Couture was fulfilling his contractual obligations and commentating for UFC, he was pretty accurate in his fight predictions. He also put together some great game plans for his own fights against bigger opponents, so he should have some good advice for Forrest. If Forrest does the ‘tard charge (yeah, I’m plagarizing that one) and tries to trade with Rampage, it could be short night for him. But if Forrest is methodical and patient and gets the fight to the ground, he’s got a decent chance. He submitted Shogun, after all, and Shogun’s better on the ground than Rampage.

• bazza76 says:

DPK

It was Shogun’s Cardio that cost his the fight against Grifin, nothing else as far as I could see. Shogun gassed very early on in that fight. A fully fit Shogun would have beaten Griffin, I am sure of it.
    Cardio is so important in modern MMA, fighters can not just rely on good technique any more, they have to be prepared for 5 round wars.

• xx2000xx says:

Let’s be real now, everybody and their grandma picked the Pride star of Rua over Griffin in that fight.

Cardio may play a factor in this fight too. I say, Forrest, in the 4th round, taking him down for a G&B victory. Rampage is what? He’s great in the stand up and Forrest can take shots too, he can best that, then take him down to finish him.

Forrest has a great chin, we know that, but we also know Forrest is smart. So after 2 rounds of stand up, and rampage has the best of him, will he continue? Of course not, he’ll go the ground then, by throwing his punches, then take him to the ground to earn points.

I think it will be a good -350 for Rampage, but easy $$ is on Forrest.

• xx2000xx says:

G&P* sorry. Correcting myself, but my god, Forrest has a chin, and don’t think he won’t try to take Rampage down.

• naphta says:

Not like Rampage doesn’t know how to wrestle…..

• stevefiji says:

Let’s weigh it out

Rampage is stronger in: Chin (if you doubt this, go see Rampage’s 3rd fight ever vs Eastman – he takes way more hits then Bonnar ever dished out), wrestling, strength, slams (wrestling + strength), strikes (KO power), ground and pound, experience,

Forrest is stronger in heart, boxing (distance punches), kicks (distance kicks)

neither has ever shown much quality jits or dirty boxing
    both are pretty smart

This is a great fight. IF Forrest keeps it at a distance and moves well, picks his spots, sprawls and steals rounds by opportune late round takedowns (ala Machida), he might get Jackson by the 4th or 5th. Forrest will not quit and the longer it goes, the better his chances. But he’s got to actually wear down Rampage and he’s not gonna do that on the outside…. he HAS to tie him up against the cage and work him a bit, avoid take downs, separate and pick apart and then late takedowns. Now that’s almost impossible

Jackson, just has to be Jackson. Stand and throw bombs, wrap up in the middle and use his strength advantage to force a favorable takedown and then “knee him in the ass” as he likes to coach. Even just by taking the outside position against the cage he will start using his wrestling advantage. There’s about 100 different ways this plays out and only 5 or 10 have got Forrest on top.

That all being said, how the hell is Forrest gonna let Amir down? I see him taking a beating, bleeding all over the place as usual, and just out conditioning the well conditioned Rampage. As Forrest said, “I’m willing to take more pain then anybody else”. As long as its not a clean knock out, Forrest will be somehow, defending blows with his nose and watching Rampage eventually punch himself out against his face.

He’s truly MMA’s Rocky Balboa. Forrest by a 5th round TKO.

• MMAFan says:

I see nothing within the quoted words that indicates a prediction on Randy’s part. To say that Forrest will “have a great chance against Quinton Rampage Jackson” is not exactly definitive. The quoted words imply just that–Forrest has a fighter’s chance (which I interpret to mean that Randy really expects Quinton to win). Nonetheless, assuming that he did, in fact, clearly pick Griffin over Jackson, can we expect him not to choose the fighter who trains with Extreme Couture? Michael Huckaby is right. It must be very difficult for someone with a conflict of interest to provide anything more than a biased opinion.

• Kelvin says:

Rampage by destruction

• DBW says:

Please excuse my ignorance fellas as a relative noob, but can someone please explain the difference between “boxing” and “dirty boxing”? I assume the dirty version involves some punches to the groin region? Just kidding.

Thanks in advance.

Forrest with 5th round TKO. Dude is all heart.

• Evan says:

Dirty boxing is when their clinched up (generally their holding the back of the head) and still striking which would be illegal in a boxing match.

• Adam Morgan says:

There’s nothing worse than English translated into Portugese and then back into English.

• Vern says:

I just assumed all those punches from Chuck finally got to Randy.

• Jay K. says:

Rampage > Griffin.

• The Legend says:

So shocking Randy Couture picks an Xtreme Couture fighter to win. Rampage by 1st round knockout.

• tony says:

wow, imagine that, randy picked a guy he trains…. Randy Couture is a joke. Im glad his wife got destroyed.

• darkmetal says:

Forrest has a chance to win, but Rampage has a punch that can KO anyone if it connects well. If Forrest catches the full brunt of it, he will go down.

But how he can win, is by limiting the range, getting in close and pressing Rampage against the cage, engaging in knees, footstomps, and dirty boxing. If he can wear him down, Forrest has a chance to beat Rampage in the later rounds. But he has to get there, first.

Forrest is a pretty smart guy, and I thnk he knows the dangers very well.

• Danny says:

Forrest has a chance if he can keep the fight at a distance. I know his ground game has improved dramatically but Rampage is a freakishly strong guy who can power his way out of sticky situations. If Rampage starts to close the distance, forrest is in trouble becuz Rampage has the better hands. Also, he doesn’t want Jax on top of him. He may not be able to get out from under him.

• Blake says:

Assuming Jackson has been training as hard as he did for Liddell and Henderson (where he held up well for the full five rounds), he will be tough to beat. Maybe he’s got a weakness that only Forrest knows about…

• platypus says:

mma is very unpredictable sometimes. i wouldnt be surprised if griffin wins. remember randy picked gonzaga over mirko and some other upsets, and hes been pretty consistent with the main event picks.

• revjames13 says:

Ways Forrest can win:

1. Rampage gasses in 4 or 5 and Forrest gets a sub.
    2. Forrest cuts him with an elbow or accidental head butt and gets a stoppage.
    3. Forrest hangs around in a close fight (stays outside, gets up when taken down without getting his ass beat too badly, makes a good sub attempt or two) and gets a controversial split decision.

I’d say Rampage is about a 10 to 1 favorite. But all you need is a one, and it will be interesting to see if Rudy can take down the Notre Dame lineman. This would be a bigger upset than Serra GSP in my opinion.

• Fatal Error says:

Was this article translated from English to Japanese and back? I can’t believe Randy gave an interview that sounded like that. It was like he was trying to talk in a foreign language after a 15 minute sparring session.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Fatal Error: I had no idea what you were talking about because when I read snippets of interviews like this, I only skim and catch the key words: stand-up, wrestling, heavy hands, etc.

Upon re-reading it, it does sound like it’s Couture’s illegitimate Brazilian half-brother, Handy.

• stevefiji says:

Sergio…that is seriously funny

I love your phonetic spelling of ‘H’andy for those who are still unfamiliar with the Brasilian ‘R’ sound. I too skimed and had Mr Morgan not made the point, I would have never seen the unintentional comedy of this interview. Thanks Capt’n Morgan!

…”These factors become the fight more attractive.”

That’s a classic!

Let me add my own please… “Forrest large ears deflect well Rampage the strength punch!”

• I just dont know whos going to take this one. Forrest has a “never die”attitude but rampage is just rampage. I think it it goes to the ground rampage will get it via GnP. If it stays standing, i really dont know. I would like to see Forrest win though.