Mauro Ranallo and John McCarthy to announce Affliction: Banned pay-per-view event

It was announced over the weekend that Mauro Ranallo and John McCarthy have been named as the announce team for Affliction’s first-ever event on Saturday, July 19 in Anaheim, Calif.

Ranallo, a former play-by-play announcer for PRIDE, is also the play-by-play announcer for mixed martial arts events on SHOWTIME as well as a color commentator for EliteXC events that air on CBS. He also hosts a daily combat sports radio show on Sirius Satellite Radio and Hardcore Sports Radio every weekday from 3-4 p.m. ET.

McCarthy had been a long-time MMA referee before announcing his retirement last year in order to accept a dual executive-announcer with The Fight Network. He also owns a training center based out of California and is a former law enforcement official.

Affliction: Banned will be headlined by a main event featuring former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko taking on former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia in a match to decide the first-ever WAMMA heavyweight champion. Other bouts slated for the card include a rematch between former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo; Andrei Arlovski vs. Ben Rothwell and Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Negao.

• Evan says:

Great …3 hours of Mauro Ranallo screaming into the mic…

• Zack with a ck says:

this also explains BJM’s angry tirades against Dana and the UFC recently

• Jesse says:

Let’s get it on!

(There, someone said it. Now let’s get back to business.)

• Evan says:

“EVERYONE ON THE CARD IS THE BEST IN THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!”

• Jeremy says:

As Zack said, suddenly BJM’s comments against the UFC make sense.

When he made comments about the UFC show running against Affliction, I did mention that he has a shirt deal with them and thus has a vested interest in their future, now we know there is even more to it.

A pity he was not more up front about it.

I would guess this means that Ranallo is done with Pro-Elite, I can’t see them letting him do both.

• GB says:

So the WAMMA thing is official? What does Affliction gain by granting legitimacy to those hanger-ons?

• Evan says:

Same with Ranallo…last year word came out PRIDE “forced” him to say a lot of negative stuff about the UFC or so he claims when confronted by the Fertitas when he wanted a job..

well obviously he didn’t get one…

and so the negativity rains again.

• Kogepan says:

Why would ProElite care? All promotions OTHER than the UFC are sharing fighters etc, and Affliction will probably put on 1-2 shows a YEAR.

Get your head out of the sand. EVERYONE is ganging up to take on the UFC. Lets see if the UFC can withstand the combined forces of Affliction/Dream/EliteXC/Strikeforce/AFL

• JOe K. says:

I heard GSP is going to be the ref and BJ Penn and Roger Huerta are going to be ring-girls.

Man, this card is stacked!

• Cathedron says:

WAMMA is the equivalent of a bunch of city league flag football teams getting together and declaring their best team the national football champions and then declaring the Super Bowl “unofficial”. If any of these promotions actually got as big as the UFC, they’d turn on the others in a heartbeat. All this playing nice is so fake. I call shenanigans!

I hope Affliction can succeed, though. I’d love to see TWO huge promotions in the US. I need more MMA than one PPV each month.

• Jeremy says:

Koge,

You are incorrect. Elite has banned all Affliction gear from their shows. With Affliction being banned from Elite shows, I would be surprised with they are willing to share announcers with them, especially one that does the CBS shows. At the very least, Ranallo will likely not be doing the CBS shows in the future.

Strikeforce and Elite are only doing a handful of shows together because that was part of the legal settlement. They have already clashed as Elite has made attempts to lure fighters away from Strikeforce.

NBC and CBS have already said that they will not allow fighters to appear on both networks.

Affliction has no deal with Dream, as some of the Affliction fighters have exclusive Japanese deals with WVR, Barnett being the main one.

Strikeforce is not working with Dream, as they have fighters (Misaki being the main one) that have exclusive Japanese deals with WVR.

Also, Elite has been signing many of their fighters (Shields, Smith, Lawler and Kimbo, among others ) to exclusive deals. They don’t want other orgs benefiting from the exposure that CBS brings.

The fighters that do have deals with other companies have to clear things with Elite first. Diaz lost his bout with Sakuria because Elite has priority when it comes to booking him.

• DPK says:

WAMMA is a joke, by Affliction letting them in I am almost tempted to not buy the show just as a form of protest to this boxing type Bullshit

• mike wolfe says:

#8

The combined forces of several feuding org.’s whose combined ppv sales are a fraction of UFC’s are a threat? Could the combined forces of several Central American countries threaten the U.S. military? I’m sure White is soiling his underwear even as we blog.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

“McCarthy had been a long-time MMA referee”?

Come on now.It’s still okay to remember Big John as the original* ,the innovator,the legend and the best ever.

*with all due respect to UFC 1 referees Joao Alberto Barreto and Helio Vigio-yah,I had to look it up.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Oh,and I think they make a great team.
    Renallo is the best MMA geek with the gift of superhype,
    and Big John will be there to bring him back down to earth with the facts.
    I predict alot of bruising on Renallo’s arm from Big John by the end of the night.

• sven says:

For what its worth Mauro is usually alot more reserved when does TKO shows with BJM. Hopefully that will be the case with Banned as well. They make a really good team.

• Ronin says:

Evan did you watch like the last like 10 events Mauro Ranallo has annouced?
    Where’s all this screaming? Please give an example.

Also Mauro would never work for the UFC just to become a corporate stooge like the brainless Mike Goldberg and Joe “elusive” Rogan.

• Sam Caplan says:

FACT CHECKING:

1. Mauro Ranallo is not done with SHOWTIME. He is being allowed to do both shows. This is not the first time he’s called non-EliteXC shows.

2. Mauro Ranallo WILL be on the next CBS telecast and will be on it for the foreseeable future. From what I understand, execs. with CBS, SHOWTIME, and EliteXC were all extremely happy with his performance on 5/31.

Also where is this interview where Mauro had to apologize to the Fertittas about anti-UFC comments? I don’t recall Ranallo ever going to the UFC about a job. I think you’re mixing him up with Frank Trigg.

• Evan says:

“Also where is this interview where Mauro had to apologize to the Fertittas about anti-UFC comments? I don’t recall Ranallo ever going to the UFC about a job.”

I never said it was this interview or that he ever apologized. I just remember reading a quote somewhere sometime last year that a discussion happened between them and that explanation was given.

” I think you’re mixing him up with Frank Trigg.”

I really don’t think so but since I can’t find that story you could be right.

• Sam Caplan says:

Evan, yeah, to be honest, I don’t think such a conversation between Ranallo and the Fertittas ever took place. I could be wrong, but I don’t think at any point did the UFC and Ranallo engage in talks about Ranallo working for them. The UFC has been committed to Mike Goldberg for a long time.

• Jeremy says:

I have to say I am surprised that Elite is allowing him to do both. I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure that Elite had banned Affliction gear since they viewed them as a competitor.

I did not say he was done, only that I thought it meant he was done.

• Evan says:

Sam

I merely mean a conversation. Literally. I don’t recall it ever had anything to do with a negotiation. I can’t recall where it happened but I am sure these guys run into each other relatively often.

And I do think he can do great work but sometimes he gets too generic. He’s either on or off.

• Evan says:

• Two Toes says:

“yeah I should have taken out the “when he wanted a job.. ” earlier. I wish I could find that link..”

Like Sam Caplan mentioned, the way you described it in your initial post is exactly the way Frank Trigg talked about his experience with Pride and Lorenzo Fertitta. I guarantee you’re mixing the two up.

“I was pretty sure that Elite had banned Affliction gear since they viewed them as a competitor. ”

Elite only banned Affliction gear that was promoting the upcoming ppv show. The regular fighter and gym shirts are still allowed to be worn at their shows(like Xtreme Couture shirts, for example). Zuffa banned all of the Affliction products.

• Evan says:

hmmmmm…….ok. You guys have convinced me.

• ultmma says:

I hate to say it but I’m reaching my Mauro R limit.

He was the voice of Pride and more often than not he did a excellent job, but over the past few years ( or ever since he started working with Pro Elite) MR has become way too over the top and his announcing is more comparable to pro wrestling than to a actual sports’ play by play guy

Mauro your at a 11 right lets tone it down just a little

3 hours of over hyping everything and bad metaphors for the Affliction ppv.

• mike wolfe says:

Mauro reminds me of some of the guys who show up on local ads for used car lots. Lots of volume and enthusiasm, but it ain’t poetry.

• kirby says:

Two Toes is right in that Frank and Lorenza had a conversation at a wedding about Frank working for the UFC. Frank told this story on Inside MMA. He went on to say he did not want to return to the UFC in any capacity because he couldn’t do his radio show or fight outside the UFC. My guess is the UFC didn’t want him apoligy or not.