Cung Le might not be long for MMA

23773_rzjuwnhtyz_vlarge.jpg

With Cung Le’s next MMA opponent uncertain, it appears his next major career move could be to establish himself further as an actor.

In a new interview with TopGunMMA.com, Le indicated that he plans to commit himself more to filming movies in the near future.

“I have two movies that are going to be released,” Le is quoted as saying in the interview, referencing his role as Marshall Law in the upcoming Tekken movie as well as another movie in post-production entitled “Fighting. “One at the end of this year and one next year with decent sized roles in there. Not huge roles and then all of a sudden this is a huge role. Pays pretty good too. It’s comparable to fighting.”

Le also already has his next project lined up.

“Right now we’re in talks with John Woo for one of his next projects,” he revealed to TopGunMMA.com. “I don’t know exactly when I will fight again but I make sure I’m staying in shape and just being smart about things. Picking and choosing my projects and also my fights.”

Towards the latter stages of the interview, the 36-year old former San Shou champion gave some hints that his MMA career could come to a close sooner rather than later.

“I feel like I am at a crossroads,” said Le. “I feel like I still got a couple more good fights in me but at the same time I have to be smart. I’m at a crossroads. I can’t stretch myself too thin. I gotta be smart about things. Right now the door is open for Hollywood and it’s not like any fighters out there get this kind of opportunity and pass it up because he or she wants to fight.”

Click here to read the interview in its entirety.

• Derek B says:

he should defend his title atleast a couple of times and probably just focus on the movies.

Seems like a smart thing for him to do considering his age.

• Mike C. says:

That sucks. He is getting out before he has a chance to prove himself. 6-0 is impressive but his opponents really aren’t.

• Zack with a ck says:

Not being a fighter (or someone who enjoys purposely putting themselves in harm’s way), I imagine fighting is something you either do simply because you love it or because you are good at it and it’s how you pay the bills. If you lean more to the latter, why not pursue things that capitalize on your fame and skills to do something that doesn’t involve potentially getting KTFO? If he doesn’t love fighting as an end in itself, then I’d rather he walk away.

• ACK! says:

Probably not a bad move for him all things considered, but it’d be unfortunate to see such an exciting fighter hang it up before being tested.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure most fans would rather see him in the ring than some mediocre action movies…

• bjjdenver says:

Smart to have other career interests at his age. Would liked to have seen him make the transition 5 years or so earlier, though mma wasn’t really taking off at that point.

• krazyeuro says:

If you read the interview at TopGunMMA in its entirety, it is pretty obvious that his mind is already made up. His passion is no longer in fighting but instead on the big screen. I wish him success in his endeavors but it is unfortunate as a fan that he may not fight again. If he retires now from MMA, his association with the sport (since Strikeforce really isn’t mainstream and really isn’t publicized) will most likely be quickly forgotten even if he finds success in acting. Fighting one or two more fights against more formidable big name opponents (outside of Strikeforce) will not only bring him more credibility and publicity but will also exponentially increase his fan base. Publicity and fan base equate to more ticket sales and greater success for an actor. If I was in his shoes – that’s the road that I would take.

• steak knife says:

I think a lot of us saw this coming. Cung Le has had a huge following here in San Jose for years, but he didn’t jump into the cage until recently because he knew that’s where all of the exposure was. He has the national name recognition now, and has proved himself (somewhat).

It is a logical move, and I look forward to seeing him in Best of The Best Part 5.

• StayDown says:

I think he is trying to get out before he faces any real competition. I would like to see him stick around and fight some top level guys before trying to become a bomb on the big screen.

• Ronin says:

good one “StayDown” he hasn’t faced anyone relevant yet and seems will never.

• saerbarnet says:

All I know is that if I’m 36 years old and have to choose if I want to fight to make a living or act to make a living I’d choose the acting..

• The Zoner says:

I think Frank Shamrock and Fryklund are sorta relevant.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

No, The Zoner.

Just… no.

• DPK says:

If his heart isn’t in to fighting MMA, then he needs to get out before it catches up with him. I would like to see him fight at least a few more times.

• Every time I asked him anything about fighting he deflected it. I cut out a lot of fighting questions. He wasn’t interested. Hopefully Strikeforce signing Misaki may spark his interest. I plan to follow up.

~Franz

• danny tran says:

As one of his most loyal fans, I admit it does suck to see he leave. Cung has always been known as a great business man. He is argueably in his prime now and it does make sense to leave a name for him and his gym. I dont think Cung cares as much to prove himself to anyone as he does to himself. I don’t think he entered this sport to have a dominating record of “100-0″ but just to give fans a whole new experience of viewing it like they never saw before and I think he accomplished that. But for the ones who don’t know and still wishes to see him in the ring again…he still has 4 fights left in the contract with Strikeforce. Fight or no fight, win or lose I think he is one of the most exciting fighter I’ve ever saw.