UFC 88 fight card: an early look

chuck_rashad.jpg
What: UFC 88
When: Sept 6, ’08
Where: Phillips Arena; Atlanta, GA
Watch: Pay Per View

This is an interesting card as Dan Henderson is fighting again at 185lbs, while “Ace” Franklin is moving up to 205lbs.

Here’s the latest on UFC 88 “Breakthrough”:

• Chuck “Iceman” Liddell vs. Rashad Evans @ LHW
  • Rich “Ace” Franklin vs. Matt Hamill @ LHW
  • Dan Henderson vs. Rousimar Palhares @ MW
  • Tim Boetsch vs. James Lee @ LHW
  • Roan Carneiro and Ryo Chonan @ WW
  • Matt Brown vs. Dong Hyun Kim @ WW

Fight card subject to change; bouts will be added as we confirm them.

Check out more UFC 88 content on Five Ounces of Pain

• thomas says:

how about rashad evans vs matt hamill and rich franklin vs chuck liddell?

• Jay says:

#1. now you are talkin’ !!!

I will be at this event!

• Nick says:

Isn’t Henderson vs Palhares on this card as well?

• RealDrew says:

Are we going to see a title fight on this card? Maybe Silva vs. Okami. Shouldn’t BJ be fighting around September? I hope there is another headliner because Chuck vs. Rashad sucks ass. Nobody wants to watch Rashad fight. I hope Rashad gets KO’d in the first round.

• Schlegel says:

As a Cincy guy I am interested by the Franklin/Hammil Match…

I don’t see why Franklin would fight Hammil, same sponsors, used to train together some, and I jsut don’t see an advantage to beating Hammill. Like Thomas said, swith the co main event matchups and this would be an exciting card. But either way I will be on the edge of my seat cheering my Cincy guys on, I guess I will have to wait until that night to see who my gut is pulling for.

War Franklin!
    War Hammil!
    how does that work? lol

• joe says:

sounds like a good card so far but i have to agree with thomas , chuck v ace would be the better fight here

• joho says:

WoW this is not worth 40 bucks !!!!!!!!!!!
    Rashad fighting Chuck come on ,If this fight gets Chuck a title shot good lord he should be fighting at least a guy in the top10or maybe even someone like Houston A. somebody with heavy hands and for Hamill he’s not ready for Franklin and what does this do for franklin anyway Put him in there somebody better 205 is stacked and they come up with Hamill
    Thay lost my PPV money on this one

• joho says:

maybe its just me but nothing is going to be a better card then Afflictions

• Bad Monkey says:

Rashad is in big trouble.

• Jason says:

evans is a pretty boring fighter, but chuck knows how to keep them from taking him down. if it goes as expected, it should be a decent beatdown of eveans. i don’t think it will be like when he fought bisping. that was the worst fight ever.

• bjjdenver says:

Rashad is a great athlete. Chuck is a great fighter. I’ll take the fighter.

• Lethal says:

This card is pretty good so far, I don’t know what everyone is thinking here.

Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, 2 top 10 LHWs

Rich Franklin vs. Matt Hamill, a top 10 MW going up in weight to fight a promising young fighter

Dan Henderson vs. Rousimar Palhares, a top 10 fighter at MW & LHW going against a future star of the 185 lb. division

Karo Parisyan vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida, a top ten WW and another guy who has all the skills to be a top 10 fighter in time

James Lee vs. Tim Boetsch, fight is nothing special but for a preliminary fight is perfectly fine.

• D says:

I’m looking forward to Boetsch minus the Denver altitude! I hate Colorado!! ;)

• bjjdenver says:

The altitude didn’t seem to bother Hamill.

Seriously, I hope Boetsch can get back to his tossing opponents against the cage days!

• Patrick says:

I hope Yoshida beats the shit out of Karo.

• Bad Monkey says:

#14, Boetsch did toss David Heath into the cage like somebody kicking their little brother’s ass!!

• D says:

@14 nah, Hamill looked gassed too, but he just had more in the tank. That last round was almost in slow motion.

• drizzle says:

It’s coming back to Georgia! That’s whats important to me.

At UFC 13 I paid $40 for third row seats. I’m all over the DVD if you look into the crowd. I sat right in between Kevin Randleman’s & Mark Coleman’s families.

Seats like that now would be, what…. $2,000?

• derreckla says:

“Rashad is a great athlete. Chuck is a great fighter. I’ll take the fighter.”

RASHARD WHO?

After watching Evans gas out in the first round in his last fight I was asking my buddy’s wheres the professionalism? This guy is a BUM

• Billy says:

This card looks great. I am still surprised that they did not put Franklin vs. Henderson, but there matches will be intriguing nonetheless. I heard Anderson Silva maybe fighting Okami for the title as well, but that is yet to be confirmed.

• king mah mah says:

I am praying Chuck knocks out Rashad. How does he even deserve a fight against Chuck anyway? He gets a draw against Tito and barely beats Bisping. How the hell does that justify the matchup?

• Snake-420 says:

if sliva beats james irvin injury free at ufn 14 he will fight okami at ufc 88.

• Kevin says:

I’m just glad to see the UFC come closer to South Carolina.

• aceyeager says:

i like the card. i think lidell should fight thiago silva hes finished all his opponents. including alexander and irvin. and franklin should fight henderson. as far as evans havent seen much from him. if he somehow someway beats liddel he ll be mentioned but not till. i will not count any 1 out after the jackson griffin fight.

• mmafreak says:

Liddell is a better fighter, but he will loose. Evans has the power to take down and get points, he wont exchange. Chuck cannot out-wrestle him. I bet the fight will be boring and chuck gets pissed evans wont stand and exchange…Evans by decision…Unfortunately

• tdog628 says:

#7 – Houston Alexander vs Chuck? Houston doesn’t deserve to fight any top contenders until he proves himself. He has a HUGE hole in his game.

#20 – Rumor has it that Franklin moved up to avoid the fight against Henderson. I doubt it though, more likely that he realized that he will most likely never get the middleweight belt back from Anderson so I guess there is no other option.

#24 – Thiago Silva is fighting Lyotho Machida at UFC 89. Should be an interesting match

• Rip says:

#26
    I see what you mean about it being Franklin’s only choice to drop down, but its not like he will ever get the LHW belt either. I think the Henderson thought may be true. Henderson is much better than a lot of newbees realize. They just see he’s 0-2 in his return stint to the UFC. I’m sorry, but losing two fights is NOT a big deal considering who he lost to. He gave Rampage all he could handle and beat Anderson in the first round. I still think Henderson fairs better than anybody against anderson at MW. I would like to eventually see a rematch.

• John says:

Its all about Mash gym baby we bring the ringers James lee is about to bring the pain to boetsch
    Representing my home town Redford Mi

• Matt says:

It doesnt matter if there is an upside to franklin beating hammil because he wont beat him at 205

• PokerFace says:

Jesus Christ, Sam was right, there are fucking idiots everywhere in here. Rashad is undefeated but still gets no love, wouldn’t any body watch, if anything, just to see him finally get beat. Since he has never been beaten, wouldn’t he be the favorite? Turtle-Fuck or not he is a force to be reckoned with.

• John says:

James is going to clean house my friends he was lhw champ king of the cage has his own training facility just opened a few months ago im a trainee its an important fight to our gym may not be for everyone watching but it will be big for us. representing Redford MI