Vitor Belfort training at Xtreme Couture

That’s the word according to the official Xtreme Couture website.

“The Phenom” Vitor Belfort is at Xtreme Couture training for his upcoming bout at Affliction: Banned. Vitor will be taking on Terry Martin in his debut at 185lbs. Vitor has spent most of his career fighting at 205lbs which is about what he normally weighs. Meaning he was going in the cage and ring against opponents 10-15 pounds heavier than him at fight time. He says he feels faster and lighter at 185 and is looking to make an immediate impact on the division.

I found this piece of news interesting as I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that Belfort actually has nightmares about Randy Couture. The first beating Couture gave to Belfort is something I don’t think he ever fully recovered from mentally and the third fight between the two was another psychological beatdown of epic proportions.

But I guess training with the guy that dished that type of punishment out to you is a way for you to gain some form of confidence back and who knows, with tips from Couture and a new weight class for Belfort to begin anew in, maybe we’ll see the destructive Belfort of old?

I know, I’m a sucker for punishment.

Read more Vitor Belfort content on FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

• Mike C. says:

“I know, I’m a sucker for punishment.”

I’m in the same boat. Every time he has a fight I get excited for it. Every time he looks good I talk about the “Old Vitor.” When he crushed Takahashi in Pride I was yelling at my tv. I don’t know why we all fall for it time after time.

• jj says:

Here’s hoping we’ll get to see another 20 punch combo in 5 seconds like his UFC bout against Wanderlei in Ultimate Brazil!

Vitor has great hands, I’m interested to see how his striking will measure up alongside Terry Martin.

I wonder what Vitor is trying to primarily focus on at Extreme Couture?

Clinch fighting?…

• Sam Cupitt says:

You’ve seen what he can do and is capable of, but his confidence levels are usually at such a low level that any form or bullying will just take the fight out of him. But time and time again we will watch him just to see if he can perform like we know he is/was capable of.

• Evan says:

“I like to think of him as the Mike Tyson of MMA without the you know… convicted raping and pillaging.”

How about you show some respect, SAM.

He also eats children so lets give him his total due, ok?!

• Bad Monkey says:

It seems like once he started spouting off about Jesus after every fight was about the time he started getting his ass kicked a lot. Christian or otherwise, Jesus isn’t going to keep the guy across from you in the cage from punching you in the face. Either way I’m excited to see how he fares against a strong puncher like Terry Martin. I don’t see it going all three rounds.

• Rich S. says:

Vitor’s always been one of my favorite fighters.. he fell off the ladder there for a while because of his sister’s kidnapping, and then a string of bad luck.. but i’d say that’s in the past and i REALLY REALLY hope he has a successfuly return.. i think when you put his and Terry Martin’s styles together Vitor’s the victor every time.. Terry’s got heavy hands.. but i’m not too confident in his chin.. i’m going Vitor [T]KO r1 or 2..

• Two Toes says:

Has Belfort cleared up his suspension with the NSAC? Last I heard he had yet to pay the fine. Anyone know for sure?? I doubt he’ll be able to fight in California if he is still under suspension in Nevada.

• MMA SKOOL™ says:

This is good. I always thought Vitor should do more reps on the bench press, cut some of that muscle that always gassed him, and drop down to Middleweight.

I’m sure he’ll still have enough power to KO people.