“Affliction Banned” Announces Broadcast Team

Affliction just released that Frank Trigg and Jay Glazer will be working on the announcing team for the upcoming ‘Banned’ card on July 19th.

They will be joining former referee John McCarthy in the booth. It had been previously announced by The Fight Network that McCarthy and SHOWTIME play-by-play announcer Mauro Ranallo were going to handle the PPV broadcast chores. Today’s announcement would seem to indicate that Ranallo will not be involved after all:

“Affliction Banned” PPV July 19 in Anaheim

SIGNAL HILL, California (July 7, 2008) – “Affliction Banned,” the greatest MMA show of all-time, will feature an all-star broadcast team for its July 19th pay-per-view event, featuring the WAMMA heavyweight championship fight between the most lethal MMA heavyweight of all-time, Russian M1 superstar legend Fedor “The Last Emperor” Emelianenko (27-1), and former UFC heavyweight champion Tim “The Maine-iac” Sylvia (24-4), live from Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

Veteran television sports reporter and announcer, Jay Glazer, will handle blow-by-blow action while MMA fighter Frank Trigg serves as color analyst. Former MMA referee “Big” John McCarthy joins Glazer and Trigg as a ringside commentator and to conduct interviews. Legendary Michael Buffer of “Let’s Get Ready To Rumble” fame will be the ring announcer.

Glazer is a senior writer for FoxSports.com, sideline reporter for NFL® on Fox® since 2004, and was studio host with Trigg on FSN’s PRIDE® Fighting Championship show.

Trigg is a veteran fighter of several MMA organizations, including UFC® and PRIDE®, as well as color commentator and co-host of MMAWeekly and TAGG radio shows.

McCarthy, who has a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, refereed 535 fights during his 14 years as an MMA referee. He started refereeing in the UFC’s® second show in 1994, retired this past December, and is recognized as an MMA ambassador all over the world.

Buffer, arguably the most recognizable ring announcer in the world, has announced many of boxing and wrestling’s greatest events for the past quarter-century.

This post brought to you by:

pdg_72dpi.jpg

• Gabber says:

“Affliction Banned,” the greatest MMA show of all-time…”

Give me a break man, if this is how they market the greatest MMA show of all-time, I’d hate to see what they do with a sub-par card.

I guess they are destined to be a one-off, if this is the greatest show of all-time, they’ll never be able to live up to it. :P

• Panama says:

No Mauro? I emailed Affliction asking them for explanation. How do u replace Mauro with Frank Trigg (the most boring commentator on the planet)?? I was really looking forward to hearing MMA’s “Human Encyclopedia” call the play by plays. I’m very disappointed.

• Freedom says:

Mauro sucks… hate his false/radio voice.

• rolltide says:

Good news, Mauro is garbage and he made the CBS EliteXC broadcast almost unbearable.

• DocWagner says:

This team holds far more credibility than any team the UFC has assembled. Sounds like a good start.

• Nick says:

I listen to Tagg on occaision, and I know Trigg is very good friends with Tom Attencio from Affliction. I know he really wanted on that broadcast team and was shocked when he originally wasn’t asked. i wonder if he pushed Mauro off in his bid to be included. I feel bad for Mauro, and although I am not a huge fan of his he is lightyears better than Jay Glazer. I would have liked to have seen Quadros on this broadcast team as well. oh well.

• jj says:

I can’t fucking stand twinkletoes.

I’m not buying the PPV if he is commenting. Period.

• brutus says:

Nooooo….. I’m sorry but Trigg is just a bad commentator, he never stops talking.

• Michaelthebox says:

Mauro sucks. Glazier is miles better.

• Barry says:

thank god, Mauro is off the card. I’ll definately buy it now.

• Ian says:

Big John is really good in the booth. I hope they use him for more than just periodic reports and interviews.

Honestly, they could have 2 Nigerian hermaphrodites calling this thing speaking in rhyme and riddle and I’d still get the PPV.

There can only be 1 Frank Mir.

• Jeremy says:

When the talk was that Ranallo was announcing, I expressed a bit of surprise that Elite would let him do both. I suggested that he might be done with Elite.

Shaw had openly stated that he saw Affliction as a competitor.

My guess is that he was told he could not do both.

• mike wolfe says:

#12 Jeremy

Who says he can do either?

• Are you having a laugh?. says:

UFC’s commentators are the World Champs at present. Team them up with Bas (for the liver shot analysis) and we have the dream team.

• Freedom says:

Bas was pretty lame the last time roung (Dream 4)… whats up with the sound effects?

• maddog says:

the greatest bunch of OLD ufc/pride fighters of all time