Fedor & Silva: 97 seconds is all they needed

Fedor Emelianenko and Anderson Silva only needed a combined total of 97 seconds (1 min, 37 secs) to destroy their respective opponents last night.

Fedor quickly closed the gap, dropping Tim Sylvia with compact power shots, then sunk in a neck crank/rear naked choke – all in 36 seconds of the opening bell. Sylvia did not fire off one offensive strike.

Anderson “Spider” Silva dropped James Irvin with a surgically precise straight right that landed squarely in the center of Irvin’s face. Catching an Irvin right kick, Spider had a huge target b/c Irvin didn’t cover up. As the Sandman threw a right hook (hopping on one leg), Silva snapped a right that results in a beautiful mid-air KO.  The clock ticked to 1:01 of Rd 1 when this was over.

All the build up, all the smack talk all the programming and counter-programming, scheduling and rescheduling, all for 97 seconds of actual combat.

• Echolocating says:

Both of those fights ended quickly and spectacularly. That’s MMA for you. ;-)

• Jon says:

Fedor looked almost bored. As I looked at him waiting for the bell, I could envision him thinking “Man, I hope the guys in the back don’t hate me for delaying the poker game in the back.” Then again, that’s his usual composure. He showed up for work, worked, and got paid. I can only imagine how much he got paid per second of actual work.

if he racks in about $300,000 for show and purse, that’s $8333 per second of work. I just can’t remember if California discloses fighter salaries like Nevada does.

As for Anderson Silva, he is the happiest man in the world when he wins. He plays a better air guitar with the belt than Hollywood Hulk Hogan at the original inception of the nWo.

• ufcfan says:

i more than anyone would have liked to see longer fights…
    but at the same time
    there’s something so awesome about two guys clearly on another level
    destroying competition so easily without breaking a sweat.

if fedor continues to fight on a regular basis along with a. silva
    we’re truly experiencing something special here…

• Fabricio says:

1.3 or 5 mill for Fedor 800K for big tim

• Binsu says:

I think Tim Slyvia did throw the first punch, a lazy left jab that hit air before Fedor pounced on him.

• Nate says:

Fedor showed who was the daddy in the HW division. And he wanted to ruffle the feathers of everyone’s pound for pound best fighter lists.

I think his eyes sparkled a little extra thinking of how Sam in particular would have to change his PvP best fighter rankings.

• Nate says:

Now I am sure there was an extra sparkle, Sam already updated them. Nicely done too …not that I agree, but I like the thought he puts into them.
    I dont think I’d every agree on another person’s rankings. I cant separate my emotion enough… I love this sport.

• jamo says:

irvin didnt do a very good job of taking 30 shots to his 10…lol ooh when trash talk goes wrong!!

• Echolocating says:

Good catch, Nate. This is the first time I agree with the ranking order of the top 4 pound-for-pound fighters.

What’s next for Silva? 205 is the only worthy road for him right now.

Fedor’s next fight will be interesting. I guess Barnett will be next, but I’d rather him fight Arlovski just to see how Fedor handles a large, athletic heavyweight. Silvia was good, but his arsenal is predictable and limited.

• DamonO says:

#1 “that’s $8333 per second of work.”

I get what you’re saying but that was just play time. The work went into the actual training.

97 Seconds of actual combat?

I know you’re talking about two of the main fights and I love the writing on here but seriously come on dude. Some of us fans like the undercard fights as well.

• Kogepan says:

yeh, except Irwin is a can.

Seriously, beating James Irwin DOES NOT cement your status as the No.1 P4P fighter in the world.

If Fedor beat Cheik Kongo all the UFC nuthuggers would be screaming that Fedor wasn’t facing quality opponents.

• Patrick says:

Irvin really isn’t a “can” man. James Irvin is a pretty bad ass striker, and is definitely better than most organizations even come close to having, it just so happens he’s middle of the road in the UFC, and when you put him up against a god damn monster like Silva… yeah no shit he’s gonna lose.

• Jackyl says:

So I just got banned from Sherdog for making a joke about Anderson Silva’s package the other night. All I said was that the extra 20 pounds went strait to his cock. It was posted in good humor and from the responses I got people got a kick out of it. Then I called him Long Dong Silva. They deleted my thread and banned me. What a bunch of prudes!

• Patrick says:

Why were you staring at his dick?

• Jackyl says:

I wasn’t staring at anything. I couldn’t help but notice the fckn empire state building sticking out of his shorts. Again it was a joke, I guess you have no sense of humor as well. Personally I am comfortable enough with my sexuality to make a joke about another mans penis. I can watch Oz and it doesn’t bother me. If it bothers you then you are the one with the problem. Anyway, you know Irvin had to get naked before the weigh in. I bet he was mentally broken just knowing Silva had about six or seven inches on him.

• Jesse says:

Dude, we’re not prudes, but you keep talking about his junk. We don’t care.

• Kogepan says:

Irwin is middle of the road at BEST. Seriously, the guy has a single win over Houston Alexander in the last year and that lasted 8 seconds.

Now he’s thrown in against Silva?

Its a good tuneup for Silva, but if you’re going for the P4P title, you got to be fighting top5 guys.

• Echolocating says:

I hear ya, Kogepan, but Silva demolished Irvin in a manner that only a decisively dominant fighter could have. Silva’s win was really amazing, no matter how you slice it. However, his next fight at 205 (if he decides to do it again) will definitely be against a big name. The only problem is that Silva strongly believes Machida deserves a title shot and probably won’t get in the way of Lyoto’s title shot. And unfortunately, it only makes sense for Silva to fight at 205 for a title shot at this point.

• xx2000xx says:

Both were supposed to win, I know that for sure. But since they did……..