Silva’s manager says GSP not deserving of fight against Anderson

Anderson Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, was recently a guest on ProMMA Radio and had the following to say regarding a dream fight against Georges St. Pierre:

“That’s sound great, I think GSP is an incredible fighter. But I think GSP needs to prove himself. He still hasn’t had a successful title defense (at 170 lbs.). I don’t really feel that he deserves (a Silva fight) yet. Go defend your title a few times and then we’ll talk.”

Oh, give me a break. St. Pierre has only dominated the best welterweight champion the UFC has ever seen, Matt Hughes, not once but twice. He has a resume of wins that speaks for itself. Just because the guy hasn’t successfully defended his title yet doesn’t mean that he’s not deserving of a fight against Anderson Silva. The fact of the matter is, Anderson Silva has been cleaning out the worst division in all of MMA while St. Pierre has been fighting and dominating in the toughest weight division in all of MMA. Not that I don’t think Silva is on St. Pierre’s level, he most certainly is, but to say that he’s not worthy of a fight against Silva is just downright silly.

• Buddha brown says:

I agree 100% with what Soares said, also 205 is the toughest division not 170, hell I’d even say 155 is tougher than 170.

• SteveXtreme says:

Thank you Mr. Morgan. I’ll use what you said even though i’m sure noone will agree even though it is true, (That Anderson Silva is the champ in the worst divison) but GSP is the best P4P fighter, not Silva. Ed Soares is a moron.

• Evan says:

He’s just hyping up a potential fight.

Since Silva can’t speak English very well his manager is doing his trash talk for him…people will argue…get upset…PPV rolls around and the bashing will help sales…job done.

• Mike says:

St Pierre is to small for Silva… silva walks around at 220 st pierre like 190 biiiig difference

• Marc says:

“The fact of the matter is, Anderson Silva has been cleaning out the worst division in all of MMA while St. Pierre has been fighting and dominating in the toughest weight division in all of MMA.”

Replace MMA with UFC, and you may have a point. Just because the UFC has most of the best in the world at Welter, and doesn’t at Middle, doesn’t automatically mean that one is the toughest and the other is the worst.

• Hurtch says:

There is something to be said for dominating your division before moving up and fighting the champion of another weight class. I’m happy that Anderson isn’t jumping to 205 immediately, as I’d rather see him continue to knock off challengers at 185. The Okami fight is one in particular that I’d really like to see, and one I feel needs to happen when Yushin is healed up.

St. Pierre’s wins over Hughes are nice and all, but the fact of the matter is that there are still a number of very worthy competitors at 170. Beating Fitch will get St. Pierre on the right track to divisional domination, but you can’t forget about guys like Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves.

While a St. Pierre/Silva fight would be amazing, I’d much rather see it in a year or 18 months from now, after these guys have both had a chance to rack up a few more wins against opponents in their own weight class.

• JOe K. says:

I want guys to clean out their divisions until they move up a weight class (are you listening BJ). The only 2 I have seen are Faber (WEC) and Silva. So Soares’ statement is accurate saying he should clean out his division, yes somewhat to prove himself, but in pure fairness to the rest of the contenders in his division.

Soares’ wrong because GSP is a worthy opponent for Silva. That statement that he is not is preposterous. I agree with #3 this is hype for the future. Hell, I think GSP could beat him.

• Numba1Stunna says:

I will have to respectfully disagree, considering that what Soares said is not an opinion, it is a fact. GSP has not defended his belt, I guess you can count Serra since he had the interim belt? It is not a knock on GSP at all, I just believe there are at least 5 amazing fights left at WW if he can get past Fitch. Silva has dominated his divison and I believe that GSP has done that recently as well, its just he needs to do it with the belt now. Silva said he walks around at 225 right? The size differential between him and GSP will be insane which could make that fight a lot less interesting. I for one would much rather see Forrest Griffin Vs. Anderson Silva and GSP Vs. BJ Penn instead of GSP Vs. Silva… Let’s wait for GSP to get past Fitch first.!

• MMA Man Up says:

I agree with Soares. I think you have to at least defend your belt once before you are suddenly moving up and fighting another champion.

• HexRei says:

Adam, you really need to separate the stigmatism from “undeserving”. He is, IMHO, not deserving of a fight with Silva right now. That’s not because he doesn’t have a great resume, or because he is not an incredibly talented fighter. Changing weight classes to talk on a champion in another class is something you really should only do after a few successful defenses. I don’t mean to disparage Georges in any way because I believe he can defend his title, but its not fair to the others in the WW division for him to move up to an auto-challenge at 185 until a few others guys have had a whack at his title.

• Wang Chung says:

the contentious phrase in soares’ comment is ‘gsp needs to prove himself’. that’s pretty much a bullshit comment any way you cut it and soares should know better.

in terms of moving up and defending the belt etc…he’s right, georges should defend against fitch at least, and i won’t be mad if the ufc lines up sanchez and alves, and even kos at some point again. but let’s not forget that these guys are relatively new to the top of the division. georges pretty much cleaned his division out prior to even challenging for the belt and these guys were still getting their feet wet in the division while he was fighting top guys and for the most part demolishing them badly. he’s had some hiccups along the way and he’s still got his work cut out for him, but let’s hold off and see what happens.

• Lethal says:

GSP needs to defend the WW title a minimum of 3 times before even thinking about moving up in weight. Once he beats the likes of Fitch, Alves and Sanches his business in the WW division is by no means done.

• Revjames13 says:

Anderson would have a considerable height advantage over GSP, which is not a big factor when someone like Fedor fights someone like Silvia, but could be the deciding factor in GSP being competitive against him.

His only shot would be his wrestling, but he wouldn’t be strong enough to totally manhandle Anderson, and Anderson has better jits.

It’s just not a good fight for GSP and he has a lot of competition right now, if he gets by Fitch. BJ Penn being the obvious big test.

If he were to beat BJ and Alves in dominant fashion, then maybe we can speculate about the fight, but right now it is the most unlikely of all the fantasy match ups. I would give AS/Fedor a much better chance of happening.

And I think BJ is going to beat GSP, so the AS fight won’t be an option.

• Jeremy says:

Personally, I think the UFC should book Silva/GSP as a champ vs. champ bout in the Olympic stadium in Canada.

I think not only could they draw a healthy 35k, but would garner an insane amount of press.

The thing is that GSP has, prior to winning the title, beaten most of the top guys.

Take a look since the first Hughes loss:
    Frank Trigg: Was ranked top five
    Sean Sherk: Was ranked top ten
    BJ Penn: Not ranked but considered one of the best P4P fighters in the world.
    Matt Hughes: #1 at the time
    Matt Serra…oops.
    Josh Koscheck: Top Ten at the time, some had him top five.
    Matt Serra: Redemption.
    Should he beat Fitch, universally considered the #2 WW, why not have a bout with Silva?

I don’t think it is time for GSP to move up, just like I don’t think it is time for Penn to move up, but I don’t see a problem with a Champ vs. Champ superbout.

#13,
    While Penn has looked fantastic lately, GSP has clearly improved since last facing him. I think Penn/GSP II would be great, but I think GSP wins it. He has dramatically improved his wrestling and is working with world class guys on Muay Thai and BJJ.

• Jeremy says:

One more point:

Any top five list of P4P fighters would include both GSP and Silva. What is wrong with two of the best P4P fighters facing off?

• batman says:

GSP is going to destroy Jon Fitch. I want to see Anderson silva vs. Chuck Liddell for a super fight at 205. Patrick cote will get knocked out in the first round. I think the match making as of late in the UFC has been very poor.

• Revjames13 says:

You could make a case that BJ has improved more since their last fight, since his fitness level and commitment to preparation has always been his Achilles heel.

Now that he has finally matured and put that last piece of the puzzle together, there is a chance that he could actually dominate GSP. I don’t predict that, rather I think it will be a super competitive back and forth fight that BJ wins with a surprise 3rd round sub.

GSP had improved his wrestling and perhaps his jits is a bit better, but he is still more or less the same fighter he was when they last fought. Which is to say that he’s great all around, as he’s been for some time now, perhaps the most complete mixed martial artist in the game.

But BJ brings an x factor that is beyond mere skill level. I just think at the end of the day, if his fitness is at 100%, he is the better fighter of the two. Not the better athlete, but the better fighter.

I see GSP sitting on the ground at the end of the fight, shaking his head, thinking “damn, he caught me.”

BJ is still the underdog going in, though.

• Davey D says:

I think it’s pretty cool we get talk about these kind’s of match up’s. The UFC is really where it’s at. They may not have every single top fighter in every single division but they have the most. Plus, they own the WEC too.

There are plenty of different bout’s that could end happening when people can change weight class when the time is right. Oppertunites can arise at any given moment. The possibilites are endless.

I somewhat agree with Mr.Soares. Georges is a Champion again and he should defend it well (4 or 5 win’s, ok). Anderson feel’s he’d be ready then. This is their honest opinon. Respect.

Flip-side is is that fight would sell very well. How do we know either or won’t lose within a year’s time? Anything could happen. Georges has had his war’s and has done well. He’s at the top of 170 and top 3 in most p4p list’s aslo. I don’t think he beat’s Anderson anytime soon. There are plenty of bout’s ahead for GSP at WW. Then again, big time fight’s sell very well. They don’t want to miss too many chances.

• Jmack13 says:

P4P Is Georges. It bothers me that he isn’t even mentioned in this category. He is clearly the most well rounded fighter on the planet. He possesses phenomanal wrestling as we have seen against the “All American” NCAA wrestlers, excellent striking and dominanat bjj. Look what he did to the only 2 people who beat him, nothing short of utter punishment and domination. He will walk through Fitch and if BJ Penn’s ego gets the best of him and he decides to move up………well thats too bad bad because I really like BJ and it will suck to see him lose to Georges again. As for moving up to middleweight, this has always been in the plans with GSP according to his camp. Silva vs GSP would be an MMA fight for the ages. Silva is such a respectful competitor and champion, it is really disappointing to hear such disrespectful comments from Soares. It could be pre-fight hype but both these fighters always show class and respect to their opponents, maybe Soares should take note and leave the trash talking to Tito and Koschek

• E says:

this has got to be one of the dumbest posts in a while

defending the title is a whole different ballgame from chasing a title. gsp should make some defenses before moving up in weight

• Jmack13 says:

When GSP beats Fitch in 2 weeks, then who Alves….good luck Thiago. The only competetive fight at WW thats make sense is BJ, if BJ moves up. GSP vs Silva anywhere in Canada would be the biggest gate the UFC has ever had.

• mike wolfe says:

I don’t care whether GSP defends his title first or not. or whether he cleans out his division first. If gets into the octagon with Silva, he’ll be knocked out in the first round. Silva is too big and too tall. Silva’s knees are brutal, and his long legs would reach GSP’s head much easier than other middleweights, whom Silva hits with ease.

• Jay says:

Really?

I mean, really??

I’d love to see a GSP/Silva fight, but nothing his manager said was incorrect. The straight and simple fact of it all is that between the first time that they met and the last time that they met, Matt Hughes has become a different fighter. It’s still impressive for GSP to dominate him, but you speak as if he put God himself in a rear-naked and that’s simply not the case at all.

I think GSP is a great kid and I’d love to see him go on to crazy success, but right now, he’s done nothing that has really, truly blow my skirt over my head and he’s definitely not worthy of “best pound-for-pound” fighter discussion. In fact, I would not only put the recently-discussed Fedor and Silva above him in pound-for-pound, I would put BJ Penn above him for sure. Fitch will be a great test for him, so we’ll see after that.

At this point, you put Anderson Silva in any division from Bantam to Super-Heavy and I’ll not only throw $50 at you, I’ll pick him to WIN. I do agree with some in here on the BJ/GSP fight, as I’m a strong believer that BJ won their first fight and I’d love to see them go at it again.

• sven says:

As a GSP fan its not a fight I care to see anyway.

• Jon says:

Anyone who loses to Matt Serra is NOT deserving of an Anderson Silva fight.

• Damo says:

Right.

And James Irvin was.

• suresh0t says:

sorry but I agree with Ed here. GSP is great, but he needs to successfully defend his belt before stepping up to another weight class.

For one it isn’t fair to the welterweight division if they are put on hold for title shots when the newly crowned king is up fighting someone else.

Then you look at the fact that Anderson who did clean out the 185 division completely moved up to 205 to fight a non title fight. Even though that was probably his choice because he believes Machida is going to win the belt (which I agree with if the UFC gives him a shot).

GSP needs to clean out his division before moving on to other fights, the same can be said for BJ. The only difference is BJ lost a close fight to GSP so there is some history.

• Sebastian says:

obviously @ #21, i wouldn’t want to see my hero get KO in under 2 minutes either.

• bDavid says:

i think GSP was way more dominant over Sherk than BJ was dominant over Sherk .. and GSP has a decision over BJ, but BJ is constantly ranked higher than GSP(not always ) … so i want to see a GSP/BJ fight and decide who should rank higher between them .. in my humble opinion.. (then the gsp/silva fight Boo Yaa!)

• matt says:

I can’t say I agree with the assessment of the UFC’s MW division.

Rich Franklin
    Dan Henderson
    Nate Marquart
    Yushin Okami
    Thales Leites
    Michael Bisping
    Chris Lepen
    Patrick Cote

That doesn’t look any weaker than any other division. The fact that Anderson is unbeatable doesn’t take away from that fact.

• HexRei says:

@#14 I don’t think Trigg was a top 5 WW when GSP beat him (if ever).

• BJJDenver says:

I somewhat agree with Soares. I don’t think deserving is the best term, probably just not ready yet. he does need to defend a couple of times and build his legend a little, then let them get it on.

• bubbafat says:

St. Pierre is more deserving than Cote, isn’t he? So why doesn’t Soares criticize the UFC for not having a better opponent?

• HexRei says:

@#33 They do, and his name is Okami.

• Josh says:

Not to mention that Patrick Cote is next in line since Okami is out with an injury. So it sounds like his coach is saying people like Cote are more deserving then GSP. I dont think so slim. With Anderson not willing to fight Filho and Trigg and Lawler not in the UFC why would you make such a crappy statement that GSP needs to defend his belt first. Get real bud. How about Anderson Silva defends his belt against a real opponet first. James Irvin aint that and Cote is not really that much of a threat to Silva either.

• JacRabbit says:

#10 the key emphasis here is that Soares said GSP needs to “prove” himself–which in itself is pretty rediculous given the high level of talend GSP has faced.

MW devision is the weakest devision in the UFC guys lets face it. Yes defeats over Rich, Dan, and Leben mean a lot, but really, what else is there at MW?

I agree in fairness to other WW fighters, GSP should be required to defend the belt before persuing dream matchups–but then again its not like this fight is even on the table. This was a figurative question asked by the radio host…all-in GSP has “PROVED” himself worthy.

• JacRabbit says:

“i won’t be mad if the ufc lines up sanchez and alves, and even kos at some point again. but let’s not forget that these guys are relatively new to the top of the division. georges pretty much cleaned his division out prior to even challenging for the belt and these guys were still getting their feet wet in the division while he was fighting top guys”

#11–I agree 100%

GSP has an endless line of top fighters popping up, while MW gets an outdated Wanderlei and Michael Bisping?

• bubbafat says:

Okami is injured. So he wouldn’t be included.

• bubbafat says:

There’s definitely long term implications to Belfort dropping to MW too. I know he’s signed to Affliction, but his destruction of Terry Martin and possible success in his next fight should put him in the MW rankings. If he does well we could see him back in the UFC. Vitor’s back.

• JacRabbit says:

Terry Martin has been getting KO’d left and right–I don’t know if he is any indication of Vitor being back.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

I’m with JacRabbit.

Vitor has been “back” like four times before…

• Jesse says:

silva would beat gsp i think, he’s better standing up and on the ground but it would be an awesome fight , i’d like to see it.

did James Irvin deserve a shot at silva? if so hard to say gsp doesn’t

Jon Fitch is really good though he may beat gsp

• rob says:

Shouldn’t GSP just fight ONE TIME at 85 before putting him in with Anderson?

• Rich S. says:

#40, #41…

i was talking about this the other day, in a different article..

everyone always talks about “the old Vitor”..

well..

there’s no more of that..

this time, it’s the “new Vitor”..

i think he’s here to stay now..

• Frank Wallace says:

The key to beating Silva is obviously to take him down, pound him and perhaps sub him. GSP can take Silva down at will. Silva doesn’t dominate when he is not allowed to stand. Travis Lutter mounted him and almost GPd him into submission. Even Dan Henderson pounded his head repeatedly in the first round before deciding to trade punches in the second.Neither of thes guys have GSPs intensity,stamina, wrestling or G&P.There is no way Silva can withstand a relentelessly physical GSP ground and pound and be able to be as precise as he usually is.
    I wathed a A Silva fight in pride where he lost the decision from repeated takedowns. He was utterly ineffective.In the UFC, we have not seen him fight a great wrestler and ground and pound specialist. I can’t see him subbing GSP where BJ Penn failed.
    He will almost surely lose by a decision, TKO from a GSP ground and pound or even a submission. Silva’s only chance is if GSP decides to strike with the Master.

• Mac W says:

the thing that Silva’s manager is trying to cling onto is that Silva is a higher class of fighter than GSP because he has defended his belt…that should be irrellivant because top contenders don’t have belts to defend so “why should silva fight them?” BECAUSE THEY ARE GOOD FIGHTERS AND HAVE PROVEN THEMSELVES AS TOP TALENTS!!! Silva got a title shot in his second UFC fight after beating someone not close to being a top contender, chris leben. where was Anderson’s manager then? o, thats right, counting his percentage cut. i guess the money got in the way from his strong moral fiber that dictates that every contender must prove themselves sufficiently…many people in here have pointed out all the incredible talents that GSP has destroyed. GSP and Silva has to happen but I’d say in about a year.

i would agree that GSP has the duty of cleaning out the division a bit. But not to earn respect…..only because there are guys in that division who deserve thier shot at the belt and the belt has basically been inactive for the last year since GSP won it from Hughes (thier second fight i mean).

More than likely to happen first is GSP and BJ Penn. Not that BJ could win and get any kind of redemption, rather just because the fans want it so bad and the UFC seems to want it. Also, now that Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves are gonna fight at UFC 90, if Sanchez wins…..Who is the #1 Contender? Koscheck has to be in the mix. So since there is no clear #1 contender at WW anymore, that gives time for a Penn/GSP fight and possibly even another fight for GSP if Alves loses.

Anderson Silva needs to go up weight in my opinion…..not neccisarily for a title shot….but to fight guys like Liddell and Rampage and all the other phenominal talents in that division. enough spoon-feeding him guys like nate marquardt and james irvin. he should fight only the best guys from now on (not that Franklin and Henderson arn’t….they definately are top notch but they have proven that they cant handle him). I would argue that the UFC’s best division is LHW. GSP/Silva has to happen and i would agree that a non-title, champion vs champion fight would be best. GSP cant stand with Silva (even though his strikes are far better than average) and Silva surely cant stop GSP’s takedowns and ground and pound. I think GSP wins it from ground and pound tko or even a ground and pound into a submission.

• n8 says:

Mac W, 6 months later and your comments turned out to be pretty prophetic. You called it on the how GSP and Pen would fight first and you called it on how it went down. You must know your shit. Now we’ll have to wait and see if you’re right about GSP/Silva