David Douglas vs. Marlon Mathias added as swing bout to CBS “Saturday Night Fights”

Stockton, Calif. – EliteXC officials announced today during a pre-fight press conference for this weekend’s CBS’ telecast of “Saturday Night Fights” that a lightweight bout between David “Tarzan” Douglas and Marlon Mathias has been added to the card.

The swing bout will only air on Saturday if one or all of the three fights before the main event of Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith ends early. If there is no room on the telecast, the swing bout will take place immediately after the main event.

Douglas had originally been slated to fight Malaipet Team Diamond, but a replacement was needed after Malaipet pulled out of the fight due to a wrist injury. A native of Stockton, he is known for his prowess as a striker.

Mathias is a part of the famed Chute Boxe Academy in Brazil and is known for his striking as well. One of his teammates, Cristiane Cyborg, had already been scheduled for the card in a bout against Shayna Baszler.

Other notes from the press conference include:

– ProElite Chairman Doug DeLuca stated that several major announcements are expected to be made during Saturday’s telecast. It is believed that details pertaining to EliteXC’s third CBS show in the fall will be revealed.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned that EliteXC and Fox Sports Net are expected to officially announce a television deal next Tuesday. The deal will consist of matches from EliteXC, ICON Sport, and Cage Rage airing in a one-hour taped format.

– When introducing Jake Shields and Nick Thompson to the media, EliteXC President of Fighter Operations Jeremy Lappen said they are willing to match up the winner of Saturday’s welterweight title fight against anyone in the world in the same weight class.

– Non-televised bouts for Saturday’s card include Brandon Tarn (1-1) vs. Drew Montgomery (4-3) in a three-round heavyweight bout; Mike Cook (5-1) vs. Carl Seumantafa (3-0) in a three-round heavyweight clash; and Jeromy Freitag (6-6) vs. Anthony Ruiz (20-1) in a three-round light heavyweight matchup. The Freitag vs. Ruiz fight will be a transitional bout that will take place before the SHOWTIME and CBS telecasts (the SHOWTIME telecast will start at 8 p.m. ET but air on a slight delay basis).

– Tickets at the Stockton Arena are still available. DeLuca estimated that half of the available tickets have been sold. The venue holds anywhere between 8,000-9,000 people.

– DeLuca indicated that they are not expecting the same rating as the first show. He attributed the fact that July typically isn’t a strong month for television as a reason why. However, he indicated that he believes there will still be a strong rating.

– DeLuca revealed that if CBS is happy with the shows, they retain the right to extend their contract from four telecasts to six.

– He also indicated that viewers will see some differences between Saturday’s telecast and the first telecast on May 31. DeLuca indicated that viewers will see a tighter show with better overall quality.

Kimbo Slice and Gina Carano will both be at the event on Saturday and will be signing autographs at the arena at 2:15 p.m. PT. The first bout starts 3 p.m. local time. Weigh-ins are scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m. local time.

1 COMMENT
  • Joseph says:

    Thanks for the info.

    Hopefully Marlon has a better result this time around than the last time.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ