Report: ZUFFA buys International Fight League

The Fight Network has the scoop:

The long speculated moratorium of the International Fight League now has a date. According to IFL senior vice president of communications Joe Favorito, the team-based MMA promotion will turn out the lights July 31 as its assets are sold to a yet-to-be-named buyer, confirmed today by several anonymous sources as the UFC ownership group Zuffa LLC.

“As of July 31 my role at the IFL will be no more as the company goes into its final stage of being sold and/or closed down,” Favorito stated via email.

This would make a lot of sense seeing as how the UFC has signed a handful of the IFL’s more talented fighters in recent weeks such as Rory Markham, Brad Blackburn, Jim and Dan Miller, and Andre Gusmao. I’m sure we can expect to see even more IFL talent roll into the UFC now. Guys like Jay Hieron, Chris Horodecki, and Wagnney Fabiano, to name a few, are all people that fans would love to see in the UFC. It also makes sense because on Monday, the IFL’s stock skyrocketed. They also showed a lot of IFL footage during the UFC Fight Night 14 show as well as the UFC Countdown: Silva vs. Irvin buildup show.

It’s a sad day for the IFL, but we all knew the end was drawing nearer day by day. They put on a good product, but came out of the gates all wrong and by the time they realized that drastic changes needed to be made it was too little, too late. They tried to treat the sport like a sport and not a spectacle and that’s to be commended. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work, at least not yet. One thing I can say, however, is that I won’t lose sleep over never being able to see the hexagon shaped ring in action.

• R says:

Well, file this under “no big surprise.” Especially after the influx of IFL guys being signed recently and the fact that they showed IFL footage during Reese Andy’s promo. They never would’ve done that if this deal was coming.

That being said, let’s hope all of the remaining fighter’s contracts come with it. I’d like to see Hieron, Horodecki and some others in the cage.

• R says:

Yes, I know that Hieron was in the UFC before, but he’s improved a lot since then.

• Tony Fennen says:

Moby Dick claims the life of another fair maiden…. CHOMP CHOMP

So it looks like its back to UFC vs DREAM (formerly know as PRIDE)
    I have been watching a lot of DREAM (god I love FiOS and HDNET)
    Dream is so cool….I only wish we could team up Rogan and Bas

• Evan says:

IFL had an awesome product at the end. What a shame.

I wonder how this will work with HDnet and their replays.

• Jay K. says:

I caught that too during the Fight night 14 show. I thought it odd after Gary Shaw’s EliteXC “borrowed” film stock from the UFC and landed in hot water and then the UFC is broadcasting IFL footage. I knew something was up at that point.

Good Karma on Dana for purching the IFL.

Jay K.

• […] for comment on the acquisition. Five Ounces also references this Fight Network article here…Five Ounces of Pain | Report: ZUFFA buys International Fight League […]

• kirby says:

I think I would rather see Wagney Fabiano in the WEC than the UFC. I think 145 is his best weight. Also him fighting Faber would be sick.

• Jeremy says:

I would like to see some of these guys in the WEC. Jay Heiron would make an excellent opponent for Condit.

There are some excellent guys that could step into the 145, 155 and 170 classes.

• mike wolfe says:

Do I understand correctly that shares of IFL skyrocketed before the public announcement? If so, the SEC may put a RNC on some insiders ASAP.

• natureboy says:

Agreed about most of these guys going to WEC. Vlady vs. Brian Stann would be a nice match-up as well. Vlady would be a much better Light Heavyweight Champ than any of the current WEC crop. Throw Houston Alexander in there to make things even more interesting. But I do hope they actually have unification matches so we get to see those beautiful IFL belts one mo’ ‘gain ;)

• fightfan says:

You had to know it was coming….especially after UFC 14 had IFL fighters, as well as IFL footage. And ROgan and Goldie were mentioning the IFC by name numerous times. That would be not allowed if Dana’s parents owned the IFL. Theonly way you are mentioned in the UFC is if it benefits the UFC or if you are OWNED by the UFC.

• fightfan says:

Adam Morgan or Sam Caplan or anyone at 5 oz

I am not that business savvy. But I thought it was a big no no to drastically increase the price of IFL stocks if you are going to sell shortly(or are going out of business) or sell them all before the bottom drops out.

Help, anyone? I thought that shit was illegal?

• Anthony says:

I was actually hoping to get a couple of friends in on buying the IFL for the asking price of ~$1M. Oh well…

• Michaelthebox says:

fightfan: its illegal to do it if you’re an insider. If you’re just a general stockholder, its standard operating practices.

And you really didn’t have to be a stockholder to recognize the UFC had bought the IFL. All the IFL footage shown last Saturday made it clear. Hell, I thought it earlier that week when I saw IFL footage on the preview show.

• Michaelthebox says:

Didn’t have to be an insider, I mean. Anybody paying attention would have realized, and bought or sold the stock accordingly.

• mike wolfe says:

Increased activity before the public announcement can trigger an investigation by the SEC about possible illegal insider trading under federal securities laws. Securities laws are complex, but you don’t have to be an employee or officer of the company to violate them. Persons with access to information not available to the general public might be an insider, too.

• Evan says:

Yeah but Mike…every single 15 year old who visits a MMA site has heard about this for weeks now.

• Mike Wolfe says:

… And the SEC isn’t afraid to ream 15 year olds if it thinks the securities laws have been violated. Don’t mess with the Feds.

• Evan says:

Mike what I mean is if 15 year old kids on a forum know then its fairly public knowledge that something is happening.

• batman says:

I don’t understand how the UFC can put on a horrible show when they are the most popular company. The IFL will help them I think so they can stop putting together Cards with no star power.

• OCD says:

Horodecki was in the lobby at the Affliction show signing autographs and doing pictures. Nice guy, friendly and humble.

• Mike Wolfe says:

#19 Evan

Point taken. There’s no problem with using info in the public domain, making some smart deductions, and buying a stock at the right time. But the activity spikes may generate attention, and anybody with access to info not in the public domain could get hung, drawn and quartered. The civil and criminal penalties for insider trading are unpleasant.

• dpk says:

I know this won’t happen but just a thought,

I personally wish that Zuffa would keep IFL running shows, and then they could periodically match the IFL champions against the WEC champions for a UFC contract.

• JRoc says:

I train with Andre Gusmao At Renzos. he will be bringing pain to the UFC.

• […] Report: ZUFFA buys International Fight League :Five Ounces of Pain It seems like the deal with Zuffa is done. There are still some good quality fighters still unsigned. Both Wagnney Fabiano and Jay Hieron would be good additions to the WEC. You could make a case for both to get a title shot almost immediately. Especially if Faber just walks through Brown, I know everyone wants to see Faber vs. Kid but how likely really is that. I think Wagnney would be a good second choice. […]