Cro Cop accepts challenge of Overeem

Alistair Overeem has made no secret about his interest in fighting former UFC and PRIDE knockout artist Mirko Cro Cop, going so far as to call the Croatian out after a win over Tae Kyun Lee in his DREAM.4 bout.

Cro Cop recently responded in a blog post stating among other things:

I was asked by the members of media if I’m willing to fight Overeem since we challenged me twice already. I watched DREAM 5 and I was happy to see a strong heavyweight match-up on the card, I have no doubts that DREAM will put more match-ups like that in the future. It was a very good performance by Alistair I must say. I’m happy to accept his challenge and I’m looking forward to this fight as I believe that we can deliver an entertaining fight. Now it’s up to DREAM to make this fight happen, I’m ready to face my challenger on the next show already.

It looks as though both fighters are up to the challenge but the question remains if DREAM will actually make the bout. When two Japanese heavyweights agree to fight one another one usually ends up fighting Zulu at the event.

If the bout were to occur, I never thought I’d say this but I think Overeem at the very least has a shot. Coming off of his impressive win over Mark Hunt, Overeem has looked very impressive in his recent bouts while it’s obvious Mirko has not. I’ll still give Mirko the benefit of the doubt until he loses again but Alistair is certainly looking more dangerous than he used to.

• doubleA-ron says:

I like this matchup if it happens! I also will take Overeem. He has looked good as of late.

• xx2000xx says:

If the bout were to occur, I never though I’d say this but I think Overeem at the very least has a shot.

I though”t” if they meet up that Cro Crop has 10x more ground defense than Hunt does, who’s proven to be lazy and should stick to K-1 only.

Cro Crop would destroy him.

• Evan says:

I think Cro Cop will get hurt and then talk about all he wants to do is start training again…then he will talk about how he is not washed up.

Like he has done here (if you read the full quote) and like he has done many times before.

I am a huge CC fan but he seems to be falling into a predictable pattern.

• Matt says:

Shucks. As much as I love CroCop, I really think that he needs to take a break from fighting Top 15 HW’s, and whoop a couple plugs. I understand that nobody wants to see this, but I believe it’s necessary for him to get back whatever he lost.

• Rich S. says:

i want to see it too, Matt..

i mean, let’s be honest.. CC’s last 2 or 3 outings [discluding the one he won at DREAM] were simply, unimpressive.. especially his one with Kongo IMO.. it seems like when he gets someone a little bit bigger than him, he doesn’t want anything to do with them.. and i think that’s where problems would come in in this fight.. all it takes is Overeem being more aggressive, and being the one that chases the other.. and CC’s spirit would break [ala CC/Fedor, CC/Kongo, etc.]

but, i’ll root for CC.

• stevefiji says:

CroCop was once such a bad ass…jezz what happened to him? If, let’s just say if, he loses… he’s toast! He’d be barely Top 20 at that point falling down the ladder with a bullet. It’d be time to pair him with Big Daddy, Tank, Sevren and Frye and that would be a true crying shame for the US to have missed all his quality years. He’d be then only viable here as a ‘T-shirt Guy’ main event fer sure dudes!…

Talk about a watershed moment coming up. I wish him the best and hope he comes back strong, there’s so few ‘bigs’ with his unique skill set.

Cheers mates

• MMA SKOOL™ says:

Alistair has done well against bigger slower strikers like Hunt and Buntello, but I’m guessing a Cro Cop fight will look more like Alistair’s fights with Shogun.

Granted, Alistair is probably looking at the Kongo/Cro Cop fight and thinking, “I can do that…” But even though they look the same on paper, Kongo is bigger and stronger than Alistair. And Cro Cop will be a lot more confident fighting in Japan, and in a ring.

I’m just sayin.

• Nate says:

Cro-Cop has to fight someone of caliber to get back on track. This is a good matchup. Overeem will be a challenge. If he wins, people might believe he is back.

• shogun says:

I think that Overeeem is a pussy. I watched all his fights and he didn`t impressed me………he is big, dumb fighter and he is just strong on paper and with his mouth (just look how Kharitonov destroyed him!!!).
    I think that CroCop will be 200% prepared and confident for this fight and I think that he will KO that pussy Overeem in first round! He will be hungry to win and to prove that he is stil one of top HW on the planet!
    War Mirko! Destroy him!