Report: Silva vs. Cote to headline UFC 90 in Chicago

The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the UFC has informed them that UFC 90 will be held on October 25 in Chicago at Allstate Arena and will be headlined by a middleweight title fight between current champion Anderson Silva and challenger Patrick Cote. Silva was originally supposed to face off against Yushin Okami but Okami broke his hand in training and Cote has been moved up into his spot. Patrick Cote, in comments made to the Sun-Times, is already starting the trash talk:

‘‘I’m telling all my friends to bet on me,’’ Cote said, ‘‘because they’re going to make a lot of money.’’

‘‘This guy will need 10 punches to my face to knock me out, and I’ll just need one,’’ Cote said. ‘‘I have a good chance. He won’t exchange with me, and I’m not scared of him.

‘‘He wins a lot of his fights before they start because his opponents are intimidated and scared of him. I’m not scared of anyone in my weight class, especially him.’’

Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the man that Silva just annihilated, James Irvin, have something similar to say? Something about “I’ll take 30 of his punches to land 10 of my own”? A word of advice for Patrick Cote: let sleeping dogs lie, my friend. If there’s one thing in the UFC’s middleweight division that you do not want to do, it’s piss off Anderson Silva. We saw Silva pissed off at the beginning of the second round of his fight against Dan Henderson because Henderson more or less layed on him for the first round. Silva didn’t like that, and in response, he went to work on Henderson with a barrage of strikes before choking him out. I understand that Cote wants to talk a big game to put hype behind a fight that otherwise has no hype around it, but I have a feeling that he will learn a serious lesson inside the cage.

• BJJ in VA says:

Someone needs to tell Patrick Cote that he needs to update his last will and testament.

Silva by yawn at weigh-ins.

• Warcry says:

Poor Cote he won’t know what hit him just like Irvin

• Kelvin says:

LMAO@ Cote

• Mike says:

what a loser

• Echolocating says:

I don’t think Cote has much of a chance, but I like his attitude. If you want to watch a fight where one guy was obviously intimidated by the other, watch Silvia get demolished by Fedor. If Cote walks into the cage like it’s just another fight, he’ll definitely have more success.

• Jeremy says:

I want to hear Cote talking like this. My fear is he will fight like he did against Ricardo and Smith, dance around a lot.

I want to see him fight finish, not pull a Kalib and fight to survive.

• Warcry says:

Cote is just a formality. Sparring session for Silva. He’s looking to strike fear in the Light heavyweight division. What me and my boys are waiting for is a potential Silva vs Liddell super mega fight down the road!!!

• Funky k says:

i hope cote wins

• Goomba says:

Cote was worried about Almeida taking him down. Silva just KO’d a LHW with ease. Cote’s accuracy is nothing compared to Silva. Basing off of Cote’s style, I’ll say Silva by KO.

• Rich S. says:

hey Cote, did you see what happened to the last guy that mentioned “10 punches to the face” and “I’m not scared”?

just sayin’..

this match isn’t even fair.. we’re going to see a mauling..

and what’s even less fair, is that Cote really thinks he has this “KO Power” that everyone talks about.. i’ve never been impressed with Cote.. and neither was anyone else before a KO of Kendal Grove [who in 5 losses has been KO'd 4 times = weak chin] and a KO of McFedries [someone who's spirit completely breaks after a few good hits]

i was shocked, however, by him beating Almeida.. i didn’t think that’d be possible.. at all..

Either way.. there is one way Cote wins this fight.. two words: MIRACLE PUNCH.

that’s right, we’re talking Serra/GSP miracle.. we’re talking, the same chances of a little girl KO’ing Fedor..

Then again, i’ve ALWAYS SAID THIS: The person that beats Anderson in the UFC, will be someone that doesn’t even belong in the same ring as him.. here’s a perfect example..

• paddiosf says:

I like Cote as a fighter, But Silva is going to beat him in the first round..I’m sure everyone will be rooting against Silva to get beat like always..I can’t wait to see the dismantling..

• ocd says:

Cote doesn’t realize how good Silva is, IF he really believes what he is saying. He is one long Muay Thai clench away from defeat.

• Gt03champ says:

They should give Cote a bat. Cause then he might have a fighting chance.

• Tyson says:

Cote’s looked horrible at his last fight, it was boring and as far as I am concerned he doesnt even deserve a title shot. I think this is going to be another first round slaughtering, cote has a strong punch but thats about all he has, hope anderson knocks hes teeth out for running his mouth.

• Rob says:

Don’t you bunch of morons understand gamesmanship. Is Cote’s game plan to trade punches 10 to 1 with Silva? Why the hell would anyone do that. He is obviously trying to disrupt Silva’s thinking any way he can. Cote fought Almeida with a plan and he’ll do the same with Anderson. You don’t go into a world title fight expecting to just trade bombs with the champ. I’m sure he has an ulterior plan. He may not win but he’ll fight a smart fight.

• Patrick says:

Cote is nowhere near as powerful or skilled at striking than Irvin is really… he may only do a bit better because he won’t try to fight a Muay Thai fight against Silva… Cote is gonna get messed up in this fight, really really messed up.

• rolltide says:

@ Rich S.

I don’t even count his win over Mcfedries. Poor guy’s mother was murdered a couple of weeks before the fight, I don’t think his head was really in that.

• Rich S. says:

agreed #15, which makes it even less impressive..

“You don’t go into a world title fight expecting to just trade bombs with the champ”

is that not what we saw on CBS just last night??

• MMA Man Up says:

Only think Cote will be landing after eating 10 of Silva’s punches is landing face down.

• Matt says:

As much as I think Silva is overrated, this is definitely not the match-up that will be his eventual demise. Sure, Cote has a “punchers chance”, which realistically doesn’t amount to anything. Anderson is better standing up, and better on the ground. Frankly, I like Cote, but he’s not even really deserving of a title shot.

Next MW champ will likely either be Damian Maia, Michael Bisping, or St.Pierre.

• FunkyChoobER says:

# 18 Matt Says: Next MW champ will likely either be Damian Maia, Michael Bisping, or St.Pierre.

i disagree :D next MW champ = YUSHIN THUNDER OKAMI!!!!! im a big fan even tho he aint the most exciting fighter, but he’s paid his dues, if he hadnt broken his hand it would be him instead of patrick cote.

well thats my 2 cents, Anderson is a monster tho and im a fan, but im a bigger yushin fan, HATE ME ALL U WANT!!!

• Pablo N. says:

“Silva is overrated” Matt you don’t even belong on this website. Cote is sloppy and he will be dominated no matter what he tries. The only way one of your picks ever make to MW champ is if Silva retires.

• stevefiji says:

I agree Adam. If seeing a 36 sec KO for a Main Event is fun, then maybe this will be a nice main event… oh wait, we just saw one of those and it WAS fun… hmmmm

Well, maybe we can pretend in our minds that Cote is good…does he have long arms? damn… how about a great record?… double damn….how about a history of taking out some name players?… nope? what about a top ranking? 5oP has him not in the Top 10? Maybe he’s a cool ‘good ole’ boy’…nope he’s a froggy :-) Ok that it!!!! It’s a guy who trains some in the USA versus a froggy…. we can sell it as a main event in our minds now….YES!!!!!!

• Jackyl says:

I don’t see where anyone gets off saying Silva is overrated. How can someone who has destroyed everyone he has faced since coming in to the UFC be overrated? It’s not like he has been fighting slouches. He came in, took the title and he has kept it. Some people will just go out of their way to take a shot at the people at the top. No one stays undefeated forever and I’m sure he will take a tough fight at some point and lose. But to say he doesn’t deserve the praise he’s getting is just crazy.

• BadMonkeyMW says:

If one more chucklehead says Anderson Silva is ‘overrated’ I’ll fly to your house and uppercut you to the taint!!!

No MW that beat down Rich Franklin 2x is overrated!!

Bottom line: Anderson Silva is the greatest MMA fighter alive today and to say otherwise is just a waste of time.

• Danny says:

what a jam to be in. the ufc is here in my hometown 4 the 1st time and i’m not sure i even wanna go now. I’m a huge silva fan but i dont wanna see him maul cote. i honestly thought that it would be okami vs silva but obviously thats not the case anymore as i think okami wouldve shocked the world.

• MMA SKOOL™ says:

Does anyone even know who Patrick Cote is? Does anyone even care?

Y-A-A-A-W-W-N.

No news here, move along.

• Mike Wolfe says:

“The next middleweight champ?” I can see Silva retiring from boredom before I can see him losing to anybody fighting right now.

• DamonO says:

Trust me when I say this, I am a fan of Anderson Silva. I mean, he took out one of my all time favorite fighters twice.

What is Cote supposed to do? Is he supposed to go into this fight thinking he is going to lose? Is he supposed to say “I’m sure gonna do my best guys, gollee gee!” Give the guy a break. He deserves a title shot regardless of how good he is in comparison to Silva. He’s up there fighting Silva for a reason. That reason is not because he sucks, although his last fight was boring as all hell.

• Kelvin says:

#29…Actually he doesn’t deserve a title shot….he hasn’t beaten Okami, Franklin, nor Hendo

• Matt says:

Anderson is one hell of a champ. Number one in the world though? He has dominated the weakest weight class, and moved up to fight someone who isn’t even a Top 15 fighter.
    He’s great, but not the greatest.
    When I said that he was overrated, I was not debating his ability, nor his validity as MW champ, as both are evident. Just his Number 1 p4p title.

• Warcry says:

Thats why Anderson is moving up in weight classes. He has decimated the middleweight division. The light heavyweight division is on notice that he is on a quest to lay waste to that division. Is he number 1 p4p? No doubt. He has destroyed all who have opposed him in the Ufc.

• Matt says:

Except Anderson isn’t moving up weight classes, as he has stated that he only took that fight as a personal favour for Dana, and has no intention on contending for the LHW belt, as he believes it’s Machida who deserves the chance.
    Penn and GSP are dominating far more difficult divisions. Fedor has beat all the toughest heavyweights in the world, and never really lost a fight.
    Silva has beaten Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Travis Lutter, and Nate Marquardt. Those are his most credible opponents.
    Fedor has beaten Sylvia, Hunt, Coleman, Cro Cop, Nogueira and Randleman. Just to name a few. I’m not sure why there is doubt in peoples minds at to who the number one is.

• sven says:

HW division is the weakest class and its not even close. The MW top 10 murders the HW top 10 if sizes were fairly equal. But for some odd reason people seem to act like beating a top ranked HW is the biggest accomplishment in MMA when its really not.

• Warcry says:

First Hunt, Coleman, and Cro Cop are highly overrated. Franklin was a dominate champ and Dan Henderson held two belts. I love Gsp and Penn but they just made the first title defenses. By the way where the hell is Randleman anyway. He’s probably a bouncer at some club somewhere

• Matt says:

What is your backing that they were overrated? Sure, they might be on a downhill slide now, but in their prime they were the best of the best.

• E says:

I hate to play MMA math but

Cote hit Leben with his best shots and couldn’t stop him
    Anderson hit Leben and Leben went to sleep

In the second round, Hendo hit Anderson with a big right hand and Anderson didn’t even seem fazed.

Re-watch the Jorge Rivera fight. Anderson lets Jorge punch him on the chin a bunch of times and Anderson just laughed it off.

• Nate says:

lol, i love the comments about the guy who said Silva was “overrated”. Especially the uppercut in the taint one. lolol.

GT03 Champ said it well here too:

# # 13 Gt03champ Says:
    July 27th, 2008 at 9:46 pm
    They should give Cote a bat. Cause then he might have a fighting chance.

• Dan says:

@ #36

Hunt is 5-4 in his MMA career, and that win over Silva was a terrible decision that even Hunt was surprised he won.

Cro Cop was at the top of his game after winning the Open Weight Grand Prix then signed with the UFC and went 1-2 against fighters not even in the top 10 within their division.

Coleman hasn’t had a quality win since beating Don Frye in 2003 (beating Shogun by him breaking his arm doesn’t count).

• louis says:

i like Anderson as the champ but i give Patrick cote more than punchers chance he’s a big game fighter he knows how to step up, look at his first fight with Tito, he was in his prime and fighters were afraid of him Cote step up in weight class and fought him to a decision. So he knows what it takes to put up or shut up. his record and opponents don’t matter, none of that is going to help either fighter come Oct 25, he will put on a show. I not a fighter but know their professionals and will do as such, so all yall couch mattress show some respect .