Jesse Taylor speaks out about UFC release

MMA Junkie was able to catch up with Jesse Taylor after his release from the UFC today and get some comments from him in regards to the release:

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Taylor today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) about the release. “I was upset, of course. But I’m going to keep on fighting. It could be a blessing in disguise with the other organizations out there.”

“It’s like a three-year deal with the [‘The Ultimate Fighter’] and all,” Taylor said. “I think they can release you whenever they want. So yeah, they kind of let me go.”

Taylor also commented on speculation that he was cut due to insensitive comments he made about Quinton “Rampage” Jackson following Jackson’s arrest:

“I thought the whole thing was blown out of proportion,” Taylor said. “I just said, ‘What goes around comes around,’ kind of meaning about the double standards. Not meaning anything bad. I guess they kind of took it the wrong way, but I didn’t mean anything bad by it.”

“I actually really don’t know. If it is, I think it’s kind of funny because I definitely didn’t make those comments to piss anybody off.”

Just like you didn’t mean anything by kicking a window out of a limo and harassing women inside of Stations Casino after you had the world in the palm of your hand with a possible UFC contract on the line? Taylor is a good fighter with a solid future, but his head is still not on straight. The UFC granted him an opportunity to come back and he made insensitive comments about a very touchy subject with Rampage and he also lost to C.B. Dollaway at UFN 14. Would we be talking about Jesse Taylor if he’d have kept his mouth shut and just lost to Dollaway a couple weeks ago? I doubt it. The loss alone, I don’t believe, would have kicked him out of the UFC. The comments towards one of the UFC’s biggest stars combined with the loss? I think that’s what did the guy in.

I have no doubt that someone like EliteXC will pick Taylor up and insert him into their middleweight division. They picked up Paul Bradley from the show and I think it’s likely that we’ll see Taylor there as well. Taylor may not think so, but getting cut from the UFC is a big deal in MMA. In case he missed the memo, they’re the biggest show in town. You don’t want to burn bridges with the UFC because that’s where the money’s at and that’s where the exposure is in MMA right now. Here’s to hoping that Taylor get his act together.

• BJJ in VA says:

Its too bad they’re going to release him. I’m going to miss the little nuggets of wisdom he imparted on the world. Seriously, this guy went to college and speaks like Ralphie telling Santa he wants a red rider bb gun.

• Jesse says:

I guess he shot his eye out.

• Patrick says:

Hey BJJ in VA (poster #1 on this topic), where do you train out of in VA? I’m looking for a new place because I just moved up around the D.C. area for a job. Any recommendations?

Also on the topic: Good riddance to drunk rubbish.

• Neil says:

I’m looking at this as a big positive for the UFC… they’re losing a guy that likes to lay’n’pray (something the fans don’t like), someone who doesn’t represent the sport well at all (something the UFC doens’t need), and I don’t have to hear him talk any more (which is GREAT for me). If they needed some bum to come in and represent the UFC poorly, there are more gifted athletes around, and the fact that he got submitted the way that he did by Dolloway proves (at least to me) that he wasn’t ready for it anyway. If he can go to another organization and evolve a little bit (in more ways than one) then maybe he’ll make it some day, but I just don’t see him being a successful fighter in any legit promotion.

• Truth says:

I’m not a fan of the guy, but his comments were on point and he’s also right in saying that his comments were blown way out of proportion (assuming they’re the reason he got the boot.)

As far as not wanting to burn bridges with the UFC… spare me… If a fighter can deliver the goods, the UFC will try to get them on board, if a fighter can’t deliver the goods, they’re wasting their time in MMA anyway for the amount they would be getting paid. The fact they kept Tito around for so long shows that “burning bridges” has nothing to do with anything.

• Timmy D says:

Yeah but don’t you guys think its a shame that Nicolas Cage’s love child will no longer be able to fight in the UFC?

• BJJ in VA says:

I am from VA Beach and the only place to train there is Gustavo Machado BJJ. But your in luck, no matter where you are in D.C. there is good bjj schools. Try any of the Yamasaki schools, Lloyd Irvin (despite all of the cheesy ads it is a good school) Maguilla, and there are a bunch of smaller affiliate schools.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Patrick:

Don’t be too hard on “drunk rubbish”. Ever been to a UFC event, or even a local promotion? You just dissed a huge percent of the MMA fan base.

• Patrick says:

Thanks for the recommendations on the schools, will definitely put some research into em.

Also, I don’t think I’m being too harsh, honestly all those damn fans who show up to those events wasted and try to pick fights and generally act like giant bags of crap are the worst kind of fan. I wish we had an event atmosphere more like the shows in Japan, where people aren’t being inch close to retarded.

To all the non-douche mma fans though… ya’ll rock.

• mo says:

i heard Taylor’s comments on the Sirius Fight Network show, and there really wasn’t much to misinterpret. at the time there wasn’t any evidence that it was mental health related, but Taylor really sounded like a punk with what he had to say about Rampage’s situation, and it’s worse he is trying to spin his way out of it.