Root of All Evil: UFC vs Bloggers

Lewis Black’s Comedy Central show, Root of all Evil, this week featured a battle between “ultimate fighting” and bloggers. Two things which I’m personally disgusted by as an “ultimate fighting” blogger. Namely because it is not possible for me to win.

Sure they said both “ultimate fighters” and bloggers use their hands and not their brains, sure they were insulting throughout the show…. but it’s still worth watching on replay.

Sorry I keep using “ultimate fighters” in quotes as we all know anyone that uses that saying has no idea what they’re talking about as it’s like calling all football “NFL.” “Oh my son plays NFL in school.” No, he plays football. Anyone that says “ultimate fighting” obviously has no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to the sport. I still like the show and I’ve always liked the show but like everyone that discusses MMA they have a strong disconnect with anyone that knows nothing and still speaks about it.

Please catch these annoying Hollywood folks on a repeat as they only reinforce the chubby, liberal white guy point of view on the sport as they can’t fight. Am I editorializing? I’m not meaning to be political, John McCain did the same thing. Oh and thank you Jesse Taylor for reinforcing every single stereotype people could possibly have with your childish behavior on television.

• Mike says:

Well in defending MMA in this post you made Patton Oswalt look like a genius. This certainly reads like a first draft… and was this also really necessary?

I guess using M. Huckaby as a case study… blogging wins hands down.

• BFit says:

• Jeff L says:

I’m fairly sure its a comedy pro0gram with 3, you know, comedians up there. I get your outrage, because regardless you lose as the ultimate root failure, the ULTIMATE FIGHTING BLOGGER, but seriously Huck, for a guy who writes the Pro’s and Con’s articles (my personal fav) and claims no one gets your sarcasm, you sure have a stick up your ass on this viewpoint.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

I hate Lewis Black.

But I looooove Patton Oswalt.

• Matt C. says:

This made me chuckle. Patton rules. And he is so damn short.

• Ross says:

“Huckaby, I really enjoy reading your pieces. However, why is it that your prototypical anti-MMA schmuck is a liberal, chubby, white guy? If there is anything that I have come to understand about MMA, it’s that those who do not understand the sport come in all forms. I don’t think it is your place to generalize who does not understand the sport, because I am a liberal white guy who is very knowledgeable about MMA. Just my two cents.”
    ***
    I have a feeling if he said a stuffy right wing nut you wouldnt have a problem.

• Mike says:

It’s a comedy show. Get over yourself.

• tomk says:

I’m a liberal, chubby white guy who loves MMA. I didn’t know that my demographic didn’t know anything about MMA at all. This is the second time this week that you (or the site) has referred to this type of person as anti-MMA. Don’t you guys know that MMA’s demographic is mostly chubby white guys? I’m sure a lot of them are liberal too. So that makes no sense.

I was under the impression that stuffy old people who didn’t know anything about MMA were the ones who didn’t understand it (although I’d accept arguments for stupid conservatives since it seems like Fox News had a lot of anti-MMA discussion recently without knowing what they were talking about).

• paddiosf says:

I’m not going to waste my time watching those fools..I’m not a liberal but like a previous comment Fox News was really critical of the MMA..to Fox what they see or Bill O’ Rielly is a bunch of young people who want to see violence and are uneducated…

• rollshop says:

i understand its comedy but huck has a point- this is how the average jackass views and “understands” the sport of “ultimate fighting”, and its ridiculous. if someone really wanted to prosecute the entity that is mixed martial arts, there is a much more intelligent and informed way to do it. clips like this make me sick. fuck lewis black. fuckin trick ass mark.

• Mike says:

Yes. If only they could all express their viewpoint as eloquently as rollshop.

• Justin B says:

I love this sport and check my mma sites at least 5 times a day but some people are so defensive when people even make the slightest comment about it. Get a life It’s fucking comedy. There is comedy out there about every subject imaginable. So what they happend to hit a topic that makes your butt hurt. Get over it.

Huck your accusing them of of being stereotypical of mma on a whole, but in the very next paragraph you do the same. Im a liberal and I am spanish 27 6’1 190 pounds far from a “chubby liberal white guy”. Its like saying all conservatives are all racist, hillbilly, gun totting, rednecks.

Go Condit this weekend he’s man.

• D says:

Huck…it’s a joke, get over it dude. Oh and quit bashing us liberals. We actually appreciate the sport/skill element of MMA. I’m sure a lot more of your right-wing buddies prefer the toughman aspect. My research? Well, can I count the number of boos I hear in my central PA sports bar whenever a fight even drifts towards the ground game?

• Ron The Don says:

An anonymous man once said the enemy isn’t liberalism. The Enemy isn’t Conservatism. The enemy is bulls**t. What we got here is another who freaking care show with talking heads we don’t know, let alone care about for that matter. Heck, I didn’t know the show was on the air. Lighten up folks, you’re not their target audience.

• Root Writer says:

Hey guys, I am one of the writers on ROAE and I just wanted to clarify one thing — we all knew “Ultimate Fighters” was not a correct generalization of MMA. But we also knew calling an episode “MMA vs. Bloggers” would have been a “must miss” for the average potential viewer. Like it or not, people refer to MMA competitors as “Ultimate Fighters,” just like all tissues are Kleenex, all photocopying is Xeroxing, and all Mike Huckaby’s are politicians. Hey, wait a minute…