Report: Sherk vs. Griffin at UFC 90 expected to be finalized

MMAWeekly.com is reporting that a rumored lightweight matchup between Sean Sherk and Tyson Griffin to take place at UFC 90 on Oct. 25 is expected to be finalized within the next several days.

The report, which cites sources from both camps, indicates that both parties have verbally agreed to accept the bout and that bout agreements will be signed and delivered by week’s end.

Sherk returned to action on May 24 at UFC 84 following a six-month suspension handed down by the California State Athletic Commission for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs following his successful UFC lightweight title victory over Hermes Franca at UFC 73 in July of 2007.

Sherk’s initial suspension was for a full year but was reduced to six months through a lengthy appeals process. Because he was not able to get the suspension overturned, the UFC was forced to strip Sherk of the lightweigh title.

Upon his Octagon return, Sherk was dismantled by new UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn, losing via TKO after the referee decided to stop the fight at the completion of the third round following a flurry of knees and punches from Penn.

Griffin, a member of Randy Couture’s Xtreme Couture gym in Las Vegas, improved his MMA record to 12-1 following a unanimous decision victory over Marcus Aurelio at UFC 86 in July. The win also improved his UFC record to 5-1 with his lone loss coming to Frankie Edgar at UFC 67. Since suffering the one and only defeat of his career, Griffin has gone 4-0 with wins over Clay Guida, Gleison Tibau, and Thiago Tavares.

He is the only fighter ever to defeat current WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber when the two fought at Gladiator Challenge 42 in 2005.

UFC 90 is scheduled to take place from the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., just outside of Chicago. It will be headlined by a UFC middleweight title defense by Anderson Silva against Patrick Cote. Other bouts expected to take place include matchups between Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves; Melvin Guillard vs. Spencer Fisher; Fabricio Werdum vs. Junior dos Santos; and Gleison Tibau vs. Hermes Franca.

• rob says:

Sean Sherk vs Mini Sean Sherk – – one definite of this fight – it goes the distance (unless one of them suffers a cut) – but can not wait to see this fight

• flassasin24 says:

Honestly, this fight sounds really boring to me even though I’m glad they set it up. The only good thing about this fight, in my opinion, is that with a win Tyson Griffin can earn a legitimate title shot. I’d like to see him get a chance.

• hindsightufuk says:

dont think either fighter has finished an oponent since being in the ufc have they?

• dpk says:

This should be a good fight, I see it going the distance. If Griffin wins he will be right behind the Florian-Huerta winner for a title shot

• assmongrel says:

man, thats a tough one..but I think Tyson Griffin has the edge here

• john says:

I give this fight 2 the muscle shark call me a homer but i think sean will do what frankie edgar was able 2 do against tyson and thats take him down

• JBAR says:

I don’t see any of the 4 taking Penn. I would put the winner of Florian vs Huerta against the winner of Sherk vs Griffin for a shot at Penn to give them a little more experience and training. In the meantime we can watch a GSP vs Penn rematch.

• Danny says:

this is the fight where i go take a dump cuz chances r that they’ll laying on top of each other the whole fight.

• joetheacupuncturist says:

who wants to bet this one goes to a decision?

• Warcry says:

No one in this matchup has Ko power. I don’t see this as a interesting matchup in my opinion. Gonna be a wrestling matchup. If i wanted to see that than I would go watch college wrestling. Styles make fights. So both of these fighters are gonna put on a big snooze. joe Silva fell off the wagon on this one.

• Bad Monkey says:

It’s Lay & Pray Fest 2008!!! Who can go the distance without finishing? Oh yeah, they both can.

• steak_knife says:

Tyson Griffin, although notorious for having all of his fights go to decision, is exciting. He’s never done the lay & pray. He’ll win (by decision), but it should be a good fight nonetheless. He hasn’t had a boring fight since signing w/ UFC.

• Imbecile says:

I think Sherk takes this one. Tyson Griffin is a solid fighter, but I don’t think he is on Sherk’s level. I also think Griffin is a bit overrated. Although he lost a close decision to Edgar, he has been gifted several close decisions since then that I think he should have lost. I think he should have lost to Guida, Tavares, and possibly even to Tibau, who I thought did more on the feet. Against Tavares, if UFC judging didn’t favor the guy laying on top, Griffin would have definitely lost the decision.

• JOe K. says:

+1 on the he should have lost to Guida

This will probably be a boring-ish fight. Both of these guys are really good fighters though.

• Rich S. says:

ahhhhhhhh, i want to see Griffin finished, not decision’d..

i hope Sherk can pick up his first TKO in like ten years or something..

please, Sean, do me proud..

• Batman says:

sherk sucks, go griffin!

• brett says:

Tyson Griffin has the edge on this fight. With sean sherk being watched over and probably drug tested quite often, he wont be the old sean serk. He will look like he did against bj penn. Tyson Griffin is also a very adaptable and exciting fighter. I cant wait to see this fight.

• Mike says:

Im a big Sherk fan and have been following him for a long time. First the drug test was a screw up. He paid for blood tests and polygraph tests out of his own pocket to prove em wrong. It upsets me that he is now posted as a roid user. I know this fight is goin to be good and a tough one for sherk but i think he will pull it off.