Amir Sadollah’s Return

Ultimate Fighter Season 7 winner Amir Sadollah is preparing for his first fight since defeating C.B. Dalloway in the finals on June 21. Sadollah said that he’ll be fighting again in September or – more likely – October. At this point, the opponent is not known.

One question Sadollah did answer for certain though is which weight class he’ll be fighting at.

I’ll be fighting at middleweight. I will not be dropping to 170,” said Sadollah.

Sadollah has also moved from Virginia to Las Vegas to train at – where else – Xtreme Couture.

Sadollah has a tremendous amount of potential. During the Ultimate Fighter, he showed great submission skill and a propensity to finish his fights. That being said, Sadollah only has two official fights (both against Dalloway). Hopefully, the UFC takes their time with Sadollah and allows him the necessary time to develop.

• matt says:

Gary, good news break, just one thing…edit the last Sadollah…it says Sadollag.

• Gary Herman says:

Ah – thanks – damn typo..

• dpk says:

I’m very interested to see who they match Amir with. I think UFC is going to be very cautious with him, because he could be a hugh star, but his lack of experience (especially since he was losing most of his TUF fights before coming back) has to scare UFC at the same time.

• stevefiji says:

He needs huge amounts of quality gym time… you get the feeling that he’s a sponge with instruction and that if they do give him time and manage his opponents wisely, he will absolutely excel and be a ranked contender during his career…. but the weight???? Damn, he’s got to be going in against guys with 30-40 lbs on him and much stronger to boot…i never thought he was extremely quick to make up for the size differential – just smart with nice technique but i could be wrong there.

I am sure he has some good guidance and he seems smart enough to listen. My guess, Dana and the crew have told him, you can drop down against the lighter, quicker guys and you have a bit of size over them but not much… and they have way more ground game. Or you can stay at MW and fight guys bigger but generally not quicker (Spider an obvious exception) and we will take you along slowly while you develop your ground skills and you beef-up hardcore with the weights (a la Forrest) over the next 18 months. Remember he had Forrest train him, so he knows the required routine better than most. in fact the more i think about it.

If the UFC is smart and with bringing along their younger talent, they’ve rarely missed the mark, then he should stay at MW. He wouldn’t be challenging for the belt for 3 years and by that time the Spider is a LHW. This kid is a mega star in the making, they will kid glove him for sure.

• Michaelthebox says:

I think they’ll probably do with Sadollah what they did with Bisping: give him a few fights to develop with, and when he gets to a high enough level, give him a fight that he won’t get demolished in, but will show him that he isn’t big enough to excel against the top at 185. Then he’ll drop down and beat the shit out of more random dudes.

• neosamurai says:

Hey. I’m new to posting on here but just wanted to say that I love the site and the fact that the vast majority of posts seem to be eloquent and with a clear point in mind. I won’t mention any names but some of the goons on the other sites posting comments are less mature than my 16 week old son. Anyway, once again I love the site and keep up the good work.

• HexRei says:

I think he should drop some weight to fight in the UFC at 170. Dude is only 5’11” that’s short for MW in the UFC and he’s not a big ripped guy. So he won’t be cutting much weight, and he will be smaller than most of the badasses in UFC . With a gatekeeper like Franklin and a champion like Silva who does he plan to beat at that weight? Neither of them at this point, that’s for sure.

I think he might be able to handle some but most of the contenders will give him serious problems- Marquartd, Okami, Cote, Bisping, Henderson if he wants to fight against at 185.

I like Amir a lot and as a young with his charism I see him going far but I think he either needs to commit to putting on muscle to be a serious weight-cutting 185 pounder or drop to 170. Neither is ridiculous but the weight he held in the TUF house will not carry him in the UFC where guys have a three months to cut weight.

• HexRei says:

wow, please disregard the fact that i just called amir a “young with his charism”. It’s late, and I am about to sleep. And my point stands.

• Redravi7 says:

At the Q&A in Minneapolis, he said that he would probably move to welterweight, but not immediately. His first fight will be at middleweight, but probably not until October or November.

• ThatsRowdy says:

Maybe they will add him to the UFC 90 card in October?? That would be cool to see.

• ThatsRowdy says:

Forgot to add:

Undercard of course.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Glad to hear about his return. Kid with a lot of potential and the drive to not let it go to waste.

• mike wolfe says:

Huerta’s loss to Florian illustrate the risks of coddling and hyping comparatively inexperienced fighters in the UFC. Amir had some dramatic, come from behind wins on TUF, but no way is he ready for established fighters in the UFC 185 class. They’re far less likely to get caught in a submission. He ought to be fighting in WEC, where he can gain experience, hopefully some weight, and face fighters a little closer to his skill level.

• Rich S. says:

i hate to say this, but i’m pretty sure Amir’s gonna lose..

unless they give him a complete new comer..

i just think he’s no match for MW’s.. i don’t think any of the guys from the show are, except for maybe Riddle..

he needs to hit up WW for sure, and i’m sure he’ll realize that after this bout

• Justin B says:

I agree Rich eventually he will have to move to WW

• HexRei says:

lol, except for maybe Riddle? Out of all the fighters on that show you pick the least experienced one as the best UFC potential? I dunno about that… I think Dollaway is actually the most likely to succeed, despite losing to Amir.

• [...] The Ultimate Fighter 7 winner Amir Sadollah will be back in the Octagon within the next couple months, against a yet-unnamed opponent. He’s moved from Virginia to Las Vegas to train with his old [...]

• brindle says:

I am a big Amir fan. I’m concerned that the UFC is more interested in CB than Amir. Amir is a smart fighter and I think he will be relatively successful regardless of where he goes. He is a winner like Joe Montana was for the 49ers and he has a good idea what it takes to win a fight. Sometimes you have to get your ass kicked for a couple rounds before an opponent becomes vulnerable.

• Gwen D says:

Amir Sadollah makes me proud to be a native Virginian and I predict he will be remembered as one of the greats. One more damn typo tho: CB Dalloway should b CB Dollaway.

• bobby says:

amir sadollah will beat anderson silva and become the new middleweight champion!!!!

• Jesse says:

I think Amir will do just fine in the UFC with whatever weight division he decides with. If anybody that watched TUF did’nt see the massive potential he has then I don’t know what they were watching! He will eventually be a champion!