Dana White confirms schedule for remainder of the year

UFC President Dana White, speaking to Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole, has confirmed the UFC’s plans for the remainder of the calendar year.

After getting Montreal fans’ hopes up about a possible return before the end of the year, White revealed to Iole that they won’t be able to hold a second show this year after all. Instead, UFC 91 is planned for Nov. 15 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Ore. and UFC 92 is planned for Dec. 27 in Las Vegas.

White confirmed the first bout for UFC 91, which will be a lightweight clash between former UFC lightweight title challengers Kenny Florian and Joe Stevenson.

In response to Wanderlei Silva’s recent proclamation during a UFC Fight Club chat that he would be fighting at UFC 92, White said it hadn’t been decided when the former PRIDE middleweight champion would fight next.

White also stated that a planned Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn fight will not take place at UFC 92 and will instead happen on Jan. 31 during the promotion’s annual Super Bowl weekend show.

The UFC’s calendar for the remainder of the year is as follows:

• Sept. 6 in Atlanta: UFC 88 featuring Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans
  • Sept. 17 in Omaha: UFC Fight Night 15 featuring Nate Diaz vs. Josh Neer
  • Oct. 18 in Birmingham, England: UFC 89 featuring Michael Bisping vs. Chris Leben
  • Oct. 25 in Rosemont, Ill.: UFC 90 featuring Anderson Silva vs. Patrick Cote
  • Nov. 15 in Portland: UFC 91 with Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson
  • Dec. 13 in Las Vegas: LIVE Finale for the eighth season of “The Ultimate Fighter”
  • Dec. 27 in Las Vegas: UFC 92 with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir
  • Jan. 31 (2009): UFC’s annual Super Bowl weekend event
  • Davey D says:

I guess this also means they’ll counter Affliction and EXC’s event’s in October with a PPV that has happened already and/or something else? That’s cool, right?

It’s also good to see they’ve got the rest of this year planned out (the best they can at least). Now all Joe Silva needs to do is fill up these events. I really hope we get to see Wand fight again before the year is up. BJ Penn and Chuck Liddell would also be great too but it look’s like Penn/GSP is a go for January 2009. I hope Chuck vs. Forrest happens at UFC 92.

The UFC is really where it’s at. Cheers!!!

• finkrod says:

“The UFC is really where it’s at.” Wow. I don’t even know what to say to that. Anybody else?

• Bad Monkey says:

The UFC is the greatest, but what the F**K?? 5 1/2 months until GSP and BJ fight?? They must have a hell of a card in mind for the New Year’s Eve show to put this fight off for so long.

It will be really interesting to see who they put Wandi up against.

• Bad Monkey says:

Oh yeah, I don’t know why everybody seems so sure Forrest will lose to Chuck. I like both guys, but Forrest was able to handle Rampage’s power, the same power that knocked Chuck out.

And yes, if they fight for the title in Dec. it will be awesome.

• Davey D says:

finkrod: What exactly do you mean? You could at least comment on the topic at hand than say some stupid chit like that dude.

• Michael says:

Machida deserves the first shot at Forrest…

• Guy Gaduois says:

Has anyone heard about GSP’s hand? I had heard that he had some damages from the Fitch fight.

• Davey D says:

Michael: Machida would be good also. For him to fight in December though, he would need to come out of the Thiago fight almost competely unhurt. If he were to say…knock-out or submit Silva and not get injured in someway than he might get the call. Maybe.

Since Chuck is the former Champ, I believe he will get the nod to fight Forrest if he can defeat Rashad Evans. No matter how you look at it. That fight would generate more money than Lyoto/Griffin would. At least for now…

Cheers!!!

• finkrod says:

Ok, Dave I will elaborate. I was just perplexed by the fact that you seem giddy at the prospect of the UFC counter-progamming Affliction and EliteXC. I agree that UFC holds the bulk of talent in most weight classes. And they have every right to do so. I just don’t see why anyone who is an MMA fan would seemingly wish ill on other promotions merely because they aren’t the UFC. I like watching fights, not just UFC fights. So I found your exclamation of “UFC is really where it at” a little short sighted.

• Davey D says:

finkrod: Thank you for your explanation. First, I am also an MMA fan. I watch it as much as I can. No ill will here bro. I am just saying the UFC is simply the premier organization for MMA. It is impressive that they’ve got the next 4 months booked with 7 events total and TUF 8 to boot.

About October, my favorite month. I was only pointing out that since the UFC doesn’t have an event happening the same night EXC and Affliction do, that they might show a PPV or something else to counter. It’s not often when we have a selection of MMA events to chose from. I would chose the current event since it will be live and haven’t seen it before yet. Sadly, I do think that either EXC or Affliction will fold within one year. Hopefully, they don’t and I am wrong.

I am all for the progress of MMA. I think if you read my comments on other postings. You’ll find that out quickly. I always try to be positive and tend to look at the big picture a lot. Take care dude. Cheers.

• Venom says:

Testify, Finkrod!

• Kelvin says:

This is why the UFC is the #1 MMA organization in the world…they are organized.

• Eric says:

So no Boston event this November? Thanks for getting my hopes up, Dana.

• ragefightingwear says:

Anderson Silva vs Forrset Griffin New Years Eve, Wandy vs Vera, Shogun vs somone? what do you think?

• BJJ in VA says:

How is it that Machida always gets ignored? If a wrestler bores out a decision then its cool but if Machida counter punches and uses footwork impressively then its hell to pay.

Everyone knows Machidas the best LHW, period. There isnt a convincing arguement otherwise other than he is “boring” to those who dont know what theyre looking at.

Yawn, I think all of the uneducated have made the expected comments there.

For Chuck or Rampage or Wand to get the shot first is bullshit.

• BadMonkeyMW says:

You might want to remember that Machida has to get by Thiago Silva, who is a 100% badass. It’s a big mistake to think Lyoto is just going to walk thru Thiago. I think Chuck deserves the next title shot if he convincingly beats Rashad. He’s the former champ and he’s not getting any younger so he’s got to get the shot fairly soon. As was mentioned before, Chuck/Forrest is a way bigger money maker than Forrest/Lyoto as well.

• BJJ in VA says:

Who gives a shit how old Liddell is?

Other than that statement I think your right though. Only if Machida makes it through T. Silva is he number one contender. But face it, how likely is it that Tiago beats Machida? Machida is untouchable.

Deny it all you want world, but Machida is destined to be the LHW champ.

• BJJ in VA says:

Also, while Liddell vs. Griffin may be the money maker for UFC other than Lyoto vs. Griffin, remember YOU are the one paying 40 to 50 bucks per PPV.

What is it with people that you want to feel like you are an active part of the sport you are a fan of?

Why do you stump for the organization that is taking your money?

My point is that, as a fan, you are only benefiting from the sport if you are seeing the best fighters versus the best fighters.

Stop buying into the hype.

Stop being a follower.

• BadMonkeyMW says:

I’ll agree that Lyoto is right up there at the top, but can you honestly say Chuck isn’t still top 3 or 4 LHW right now? If he comes out and smokes
    Rashad like I think he will, then he should get a title shot.

I’m telling you though, Thiago could definitely take Machida. Lyoto looked good against Tito in his last fight, but Tito today is no Thiago Silva.

My point about Chuck’s age is more of a comment on the business end of things for UFC. How many more years is Chuck really wanting to fight? I don’t see him going past 40, which is only three more years. I think Dana and UFC will be very motivated to get Chuck a title shot within the next 6-8 months. Plus, you can’t say you wouldn’t want to see Chuck vs. Forrest for the title!!

• Damo says:

*yawn*

The really interesting fights out of all of those shows barely fit on a hand. Im sure there will be some surprises along the way, most cards usually surprise in some way.

But theres a few majorly big names missing from these shows that by all rights, imho, should be on the cards.

• Rip says:

My only problem with the whole schedule for the years end, is not being able to see the best talent fight as much as possible. I don’t want to wait to see Wanderlei fight in January if he is ready to fight in December(unless its a title shot!). They seem to be watering down cards more with TUFers and up-and-comers so much. Not that the shows haven’t been good, its just that there are certain fighters I think should fight more often(if able). As for Machida, I think he is VERY good, but I am not ready to say he is the best LHW out there,yet. Nor do I think it is Forrest. I’d like to see Machida fight and decimate one more top LHW before I am ready to give him that claim. Just my 2 cents….

• Nate says:

I want to see Wanderlei Silva, Shogun fighting someone (not against each other).

Man I hope Shogun didnt destroy his knees. I love his fighting style. Chutebox was an awesome training camp.