UFC 88 bout between Parisyan vs. Yoshida scratched

On the eve of a welterweight clash at UFC 88 between Karo Parisyan and Yoshiyuki Yoshida, the UFC has announced that Parisyan has been pulled off the card due to a back injury.

With only slightly more than 24 hours before the card is scheduled to take place in Atlanta at the Phillips Arena, the UFC has scrapped the bout entirely and will not find a replacement for Yoshida. UFC 88 will now go on as a nine bout card as opposed to the previous ten scheduled bouts.

It is believed that the Parisyan vs. Yoshida fight had been one of the five fights scheduled to appear on this weekend’s pay-per-view portion of the card. The UFC did not immediately announce which bout from its preliminary card it intended to promote to the main card but the most logical candidates would be a welterweight bout between Matt Brown vs. Dong Hyun Kim or a lightweight bout between Kurt Pellegrino and Thiago Tavares.

Parisyan’s late removal from the card will no doubt fuel much speculation on Internet forums. He has been accused in the past of not training properly for his fights and he has admitted in recent interviews that he recently sought treatment for panic attacks.

Based on Parisyan’s recent revelation and his reputation for coming into fights with less than ideal preparation, several pundits had been picking Yoshida to upset him.

Yoshida made his UFC debut at UFC 84 in May, where he won via technical submission against Jon “War Machinda” Koppenhaver just 56 seconds into their fight after applying an anaconda choke. The victory extended his win streak to nine.

• ACK! says:

What?! This was easily one of the most interesting matchups on the card…

Shit happens, of course, but that is really unfortunate.

• Andy says:

Fightlnker had a good suspicion about Karos panic attacks being responsible for this.
    For being a “last minute” injury it is also suspicious to me a little. It sucks, because I wanted to see this fight, wanted to see Karo put his money where his mouth is. He sure has fallen a lot since being the #1 contender. I hope the best for him.

• jim smith says:

It’s well known that Armenians are injury prone… and they steal

• JoHn says:

Kurt Pellegrino and Thiago Tavares HOPEFULLY

• Sergio Hernandez says:

This sucks.

I was totally looking forward to Yoshida clowing Parisyan.

This, combined with Silva pulling out of UFC 89 = EPIC FAIL

• Jason G says:

pretty racist but funny at the same time. its a shame he pulled out so close to the fight cause now yoshida can’t fight.

• Hurtch says:

From the UFC Website:
    “The welterweight bout between Dong Hyun Kim and Matt Brown will now be aired on the pay-per-view broadcast…”

• Voridor says:

I’m not a Parisyan fan. He is arrogant and this is an example that all his ways have finally caught up with him. Look at the last fight and tell me he trained at all. Seriously, he looked terrible, slow, and pasty. I believe that he pulled out because he was not ready and scared

• Neil says:

I don’t like to go on speculating wildly, but this really does seem like a case of Karo ducking a fight. Honestly now, how do you injure your back a little more than 24hrs before the fight? If he knew about it before he would’ve said something, so they could find a replacement. Maybe he realized that Yoshida probably would’ve won, and didn’t want to jeopordize what he probably still thinks is his title shot.

• KTru says:

Karo does this again. He is a punk. I wished to see him get his ass kicked again. Its never to soon.

• Joey says:

I spent a good half hour figuring out the handicaps for the event and I had 2 units on yoshida. H! I think he would have won handily and I’m pretty sure karo just fed up my profit. Now i really hate him. On a side note i really wanted to see yoshida fight. Cant they get baroni to do a one off fight on one days notice or something. I bet he would

• Bad Monkey says:

At this point, Karo is never getting a title shot. Back injury less than 24 hrs. before the fight? C’mon!! He knew Yoshida was going to whup him and he didn’t want to beat two fights in a row. Hear that Karo? It’s EliteXC calling.

• bob says:

Joe Rogan said the Brown fight is the 1st of the main card at the weigh-ins

• Andy says:

Does Yoshida have to give up his fight purse? It really sucks for him because whose to say he wouldn’t have won a bonus on top of his win.
    I think it is truly unprofessional to announce an injury right before weigh ins. It’s almost as if he injured himself in the last minute of his last training before the fight, which is pretty difficult to believe.

• Davey D says:

I like Karo but I don’t believe the “back thing” one bit. 24 hours out? Not buying it bro. How many times is he going to pull out of a bout? I wish him well but damn this effin’ sucks. Me and more than a few people were looking forward to seeing Judoka vs. Judoka in the UFC which doesn’t happen often. Grrrrrrrr….

At any rate, this may cost him more than he thinks or a least put him WAY down on the UFC’s WW rankings.

• Echolocating says:

If Karo hurt his back a while ago and was hoping he’d be healed up enough to fight, that would be the most unprofessional thing he and his camp could do; the UFC could have had a replacement fighter on standby a while ago and informed Yoshida of the situation. I don’t buy that he was training like an animal right up to the day of the weigh-ins either. It has to be Karo’s panic attacks; nothing else makes sense.

I’d be surprised if Dana White was understanding about all this. This could be worse than if he went into the fight and lost.

• Eric says:

I love how all across the internet Karo is being accused of ducking fights and being scared of Yoshida, no wonder I have little respect for MMA internet fans. Karo might be an ass but he’s fought some of the best fighters in the WW division and he’s only pulled out of 1 fight in his UFC career Hughes and it was for the title. Instead of people taking out their own personal problems with Karo and making idiotic comments. Maybe you should just wait for facts before opening your mouths, from everything i’ve heard Karo threw out his back the other day and was having a hard time walking it sucks but stuff happens.

• OCD says:

Given his recent admission of panic attacks, and the likelihood he is on psychotropic medication, it wouldn’t surprise me if this were related to potentially failing a drug test. He might have had private testing done, and came back dirty…and thus, dropped the fight.

Or, the MD for the UFC blocked him fighting due to a back injury. But, that should have already come out, not one day before the fight.

• Grappo says:

bah… was really looking forward to seeing Yoshida again.

• […] decision was necessitated after welterweight bout between Karo Parisyan and Yoshiyuki Yohsida was scratched from tonight’s UFC 88 pay-per-view telecast due to a back injury sustained by […]

• Danny says:

“jim smith on September 5th, 2008 2:24 pm

It’s well known that Armenians are injury prone… and they steal”

What a racist a$$hole, the guy pulled out of a fight, I don’t see you in the octagon, chill out, it could be for any number of reasons, he has a right not to fight, Even though I’m sure you feel entitled to be entertained while you sit on your ass at your computer or you order UFC ppv’s.