Early-retirement for Anderson Silva might not be such a bad thing

Rumblings out of Brazil have suggested in recent days that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has discussed in TV interviews emanating from his home country that he isn’t ruling out retirement a year from now.

I haven’t jumped on the reports as a news story because thus far, I am taking them with a grain of salt. For one, what does retirement mean in MMA? How many times has Randy Couture retired? And despite his retirement earlier this year, Paul Daley now finds himself set to face Jake Shields for the EliteXC welterweight title on Oct. 4 in a match to be televised on CBS.

Retirement in combat sports simply means a hiatus. Additionally, because of the language barrier, we don’t truly know the context in which he felt compelled to issue his comments. For all we know he could have been asked what he will do if he beats Patrick Cote, Chuck Liddell, and Forrest Griffin in the next year?

We also do not know what mood Silva was in. You’d be surprised how often fighters talk about quitting. Training is hard and the life of a fighter is one of great sacrifice. A fighter experiences a great deal of mood swings while preparing for a fight. And Silva’s recent interview could have been nothing more than a fighter venting frustration while he prepares for a fight at UFC 90 against Patrick Cote in which he has a lot to lose and little to gain.

I’d be taking Silva’s comments more serious if he suggested he was considering retiring by year’s end. But a year from now? A lot can happen in 12 months in the fight game. In 12 months several major promotions could be out of business and a new bumper crop of challengers to Silva’s 185 lbs. crown could suddenly arrive in the UFC.

But let’s for a second indulge the idea of Silva walking away from the fight game. I’m not convinced it would be such a bad thing at this point. In fact, I actually think it could be good for the sport.

When Silva fights, it’s poetry in motion. Being deprived of his number one pound-for-pound greatness would not be a good thing. However, if he took a one or two year sabbatical, you have to admit that it would bring some much needed parity to the world’s 185 pound division.

I don’t think I am alone in saying that right now in MMA, middleweight is the sport’s least compelling division. And we have Silva’s awesomeness to blame for that. A year ago at this time, Silva was a great fighter but we at least had some naysayers promote the idea that he could be beat by Dan Henderson. There was also still a rematch with Rich Franklin to look forward to and Franklin fans were able to tell themselves that perhaps things would be different the second time around.

Well, Silva vs. Franklin II wasn’t much different than Franklin vs. Silva I and Henderson didn’t make it past the second round at UFC 82. Perhaps there is a foil outside the UFC that could pose a challenge to Silva? Cung Le? It would be a fun matchup but do you really think an MMA newcomer such as Lee could stand for Silva for an extended duration? Frank Shamrock? It would do great at the box office but would the outcome ever be in doubt? Matt Lindland? He’s a great fighter but his style is similar to Henderson’s and if Henderson went down in flames, why would a fight between him and Silva be any different?

And what happens after Silva destroys Cote in October? Yes, I am jumping to conclusions, but I have no reason to believe otherwise. Sure, anyone can be beaten but Cote’s game is similar to Silva’s but nowhere near as good. You aren’t going to out-strike Silva. Am I overlooking something much like many of us overlooked Chuck Liddell’s weaknesses during his reign of dominance? The difference there is that Quinton Jackson showed a blue print during the PRIDE middleweight Grand Prix about how to beat Liddell, which was by getting in his face and testing his chin. For whatever reason, many like myself tried to dismiss that as an aberration. Jackson and Rashad Evans proved us wrong.

Such a poison pill doesn’t exist in Silva’s game right now. We can’t really question his chin because if you look at his losses, none of them are really bad losses and one are by TKO. This is a man who has never been knocked out. His most notable losses consist of a freak hail marry flying scissors heel hook by Ryo Chonan at PRIDE Shockwave 2004 — a move we may never see executed again in our lifetime — and a DQ loss to Yushin Okami at Rumble on the Rock 8 in 2006. Then you have the decision loss to Luiz Azeredo in his pro debut and a submission loss to Daiju Takase at PRIDE 26 in 2003.

The loss to Takase may carry some merit. While Silva’s jiu-jitsu is exceptional from his back, I don’t think he’s all that dangerous when it comes to being in top position. His wrestling isn’t stellar and he showed some kinks in his MMA ground armor during his UFC 67 win over Travis Lutter in 2007. But let’s remember that he had two bum knees in that fight and despite being in some trouble, he still got the job done and finished Lutter in the second round.

When you add it all up, Silva is unbeatable. I don’t know how else to say it other than the middleweight division is boring me to tears right now. It’s almost as if Silva is too good for our own good. Do I want to see him walk away and never fight again? No, not at all. But I wouldn’t mind him taking a year or two sabbatical and allow some new blood rise to the top and then return to claim the throne he abandoned.

After he gets past Cote, the only thing left for him in the UFC will be potential middleweight fights vs. Okami and Michael Bisping and maybe a light heavyweight special attraction vs. Liddell. I don’t see Okami or Bisping beating Silva and even if Silva loses to Liddell, a loss at 205 doesn’t change the fact that he’s still the best 185’er in the world.

While I am bored by Silva’s prospects at 185, there are two middleweight fights for him that excite me. The problem is, they’ll never happen; Silva vs. Paulo Filho and Silva vs. Lyoto Machida are great fights we’ll never see. Filho has the world class jiu-jitsu that could expose Silva’s one flaw. And Machida’s elusive nature could prove difficult for Silva to solve. But as I just stated, the chances of those fights happening are none and none. Every now and then we see a headline with an occasional tease about how Filho and Silva might be willing to fight each other but it’s always proceeded by a strong denial from one of the two fighters. Machida competes at 205 but could easily drop to 185. However, he and Silva have the same management and have too much respect to ever fight each other.

As such, there are almost no hurdles to overcome or mountains left to climb for Silva. By going away for a year or two it would allow some new challengers to be built up. Two years from now Rousimar Palhares and Demian Maia might have graduated from prospect status to bonafide superstars. WEC blue chip prospects Mark Moreno and Jake Rosholt could be powerhouses two years from now. Two years from now Gegard Mousasi and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza could be household names in the UFC’s middleweight division.

However, if Silva sticks around then none of the six aforementioned names will ever be built up as legitimate challenges because they’ll be forced to fight Silva before they are ready due to the fact that there are no other challengers for him. If they are allowed to marinate and appear dominant for an extended period of time, we might actually start to believe that they have a chance. Out of sight equals out of mind and by seeing fighters such as Souza, Mousasi, Rosholt, Palhares, Moreno, and Maia take care of business while Silva is on the sidelines, the concept of an unbeatable Silva might become a thing of the past.

More than anything else, that’s what we need: a reason to believe that someone has a chance to beat Anderson Silva straight up and not by some fluke occurrence. Sadly, the only way for that to happen might be for him to walk away. And while many of you shudder to think about the possibility of a sport without Anderson Silva, I contend that it might be for the best.

• Grappo says:

“Silva vs. Paulo Filho and Silva vs. Lyoto Machida are great fights we’ll never see.”

you make me sad.

• Stan the Caddy says:

” It’s the complete opposite. Dana has been very good to Anderson. I can guarantee you Anderson will not be retiring within the next year. He still has 6 fights on his contract.

Ed Soares”

• Dan says:

Proposing that an athlete should take a “one or two year sabbatical” in the prime of their career may be a good thing is a ridiculous statement for any fan in any sport. It is a statement that must have been made without much thought…a posting on the go…on the fly. Have you been drinking? I’ll go even furthur…are you insane? (Maybe I went too far) As you write in your post, watching Silva fight is like watching poetry in motion. He is, by far, the best fighter I have ever had the priviledge of seeing. Sam, put your logic to test by looking to other sports “greatest ever” and saying “take a break so that the competion” can catch up…It JUST DON’T MAKE NO SENSE! Apologize to Anderson Silva and beg that he doesn’t retire, or else.

• Sam Caplan says:

• BG says:

this is crazy talk.

• Guy Gaduois says:

I’d like to see another fight with Nate Marquardt in or around June 2009. That could be an interesting fight, I think Nate’s shown some growth and sheer strength.
    Anyone can lose, anytime . . . I have seen these Patriot’s 18-0 shirts . . .

But if Anderson Silva wants to hang it up and be with his family, I’d bear him no ill; the guy’s a legendary athlete, a gentleman and has done great things by being such a man for the sport. Anything he does that is good for him and his family, I applaud. He doesn’t owe the fans anything.

• rollshop says:

I see Sam’s point, though I do not completely agree with the sabbatical talk, there is some merit to letting other prospects mature in the middleweight class without having to face Silva before they’re fully ripened. Or Sam could just be playing a little devils advocate here.

• mike says:

haha first of all, sam, great comback.

secondly, yes, he does have 6 fights left, but supposedly he said he is not fighting enough and wants to fight atleast 6 times a year. If the UFC was ok with that, he could be done with his contract by 2009, which is what he is saying.

my opinion is that if the UFC can’t add more middleweight contendors, people are going to begin to talk about the spider in the same light as people were talking about fedor before he demolished sylvia. yeah, he’s winning, but will he be fighting legitimate fighters after Cote? who is going to test his skill? 205’ers and Fihlo… Fihlo will never happen and if he goes to 205 he may be forced to fight Machido, which will never happen.

• jeff says:

Nice article. I enjoyed it very much. I think Silva has a lot to gain from this fight, though. Every time he defends he just cements himself further.

It’s funny — Travis Lutter (and, as Joe Rogan said “a weak and dehydrated Lutter”) is the only person who gave AS a run for his money. That is, the least likely to succeed seemed to have the best chance.

I would be shocked, but it would fit into the storyline so far, if Cote actually poses a challenge to Silva. It seems that AS does best against guys that are supposed to expose him. But to guys who pose no threat (and given that his only real loss was Ryo Chonen — a wolf in sheeps clothing with that scissor heel hook).

Granted, he disposed of Leben quickly. But if I had to guess when AS was going to lose, it would be against a guy like Cote — either now or in the future.

• Sam Caplan says:

I’m not trying to play Devil’s Advocate. I am completely bored by the UFC’s middleweight division and if Silva’s recent comments are valid, there is reason to believe he’s getting bored as well.

After he disposes of Cote and Okami, he will find it tough to enhance his legacy as a middleweight. There will be little for him to gain. I’m not interested in seeing rematches against Marquardt and Henderson. It wasn’t like those fights were close the first time around.

As a fan, I am tired of getting my hopes up for a bout between Silva vs. Filho, as we’re been told countless times by both fighters that their friendship is more important.

Light heavyweight is an option for Silva but there are conflicting reports about whether he truly wants to compete at 205.

There aren’t going to be very many money matchups for him at 185. If an athlete in a team sport leaves in his prime, he leaves money on the table. In an athlete in boxing or MMA leaves for awhile and allows opposition to build up their name value, he can return for more money than he would have made had he remained active against fighters with limited marketing appeal.

Do I want Silva to retire? No. What I want is to see compelling matchups for him in his best competitive weight class. The problem is, do any of those compelling matchups exists? I don’t think they do and I don’t think it’s the fault of Silva or the UFC. This is a problem without an obvious remedy. Something drastic is going to have to be done after UFC 90. An extended break might be the best way to build a big-time challenger for Silva at 185.

• Stan the Caddy says:

“he said he is not fighting enough and wants to fight atleast 6 times a year. If the UFC was ok with that, he could be done with his contract by 2009, which is what he is saying.”

I’ve never seen him say that before. Is this some hypothetical internet quote made up by a random blogger who likes to postulate without actually getting the facts from the source?? If not, a link would be nice.

“if he goes to 205 he may be forced to fight Machido, which will never happen.”

Umm yeah, because LHW is so devoid of top ten fighters besides Machida that he could face. I can think of at least 3 compelling fights at 185 for him in the UFC atm, not to mention a shit ton more at 205.

• MMAGambler says:

I understand your point but it makes me think in what shape will Silva be in 2 years? How many years more has he left?

• ihateemo says:

I agree with a lot of Sam’s points but I also feel the same about the LW and WW divisions in the UFC right now. Penn and St. Pierre are also looking unbeatable. I look at the 5Oz rankings and see a massive disparity between the #1 and #2 spots, the same way Silva is a distant first ahead of the competition.

We all know that St. Pierre demolished Fitch and that, even though he couldn’t finish him, it was a completely one-sided beating. The top contender for the lightweight title – Kenny Florian, IMO – isn’t even considered the #2 lightweight in the world. I am personally clamoring for Penn vs. St. Pierre because I feel like it’s the only way one of them could feasibly lose a fight at this point in their careers, the same way people seem to think that Silva is only beatable by someone in the 205lb division.

Still, I’m looking forward to the Cote fight. I don’t think Cote will shock the world but I think that he’s going to be incredibly game and make it an entertaining fight.

• warcry says:

I believe you will see Silva pillage the Light heavyweight division. That means Chuck Liddell ( get your eye fixed and come catch your whuppin) Forrest Griffin, Rampage, and rematches with Marquardt and Henderson are compelling as well. There are fights out there that could be juggernauts.

• Nick says:

Silva v Bisping in the UK will definitely happen if Bisping keeps winning. Bisping is good enough to keep it interesting for 2 or 3 rounds IMO. He has a solid chin and a good all round game. Outside that there are very few other fights at 185. At 205 there are plenty of interesting matches. Could Silva get a 205 shot before Machida perhaps? He’s definitely one of Dana’s favourites, Machida doesn’t seem to be getting much love.

• Ft. Dub says:

I know he’s a fair amount smaller, but why does no one ever talk about St. Pierre coming up to face Silva? I would tend to think that St. Pierre’s wrestling, very solid ground game and versatile striking – not to mention overall athleticism – would be a great match-up for Silva’s.

There’s just something about Silva that I’m not totally sold on. I know his striking is the best in the game, but what about against a wrestler who can really strike? Henderson doesn’t count because he’s not dominating anyone these days.

• Nick says:

GSP has expressed a desire to move up to 185. He has Penn to worry about in the meantime but after that perhaps they’ll clash. I’d love to see it, would be a great fight.

• just1fix says:

I agree with most of the sentiments in this article, but Silva’s on the verge of breaking two of the UFC’s long-standing records and I think it would be silly of him to even consider stepping away until he accomplishes these feats. Although if he keeps up at this pace of fighting then he could realistically break both records within the next year.

The first record is 5 consecutive title defenses held by both Tito and Matt Hughes. Silva currently has 3 (it should be 4 but fatty Lutter screwed it up). In the MW division, this should be easy to accomplish for the Spider.

The second record is the longest undefeated streak in the Octagon (8-0 held by both Royce Gracie and Jon Fitch). If the Spider can get by Cote then he will have tied that record and would only be one win away from breaking it.

Silva has a huge opportunity here to cement his legacy into the record books for years to come. I understand the desire to retire while still on top, but I think it would be stupid of him to not first focus on smashing both of these records since they are both easily within his grasp.

• keenan says:

i hope thats a devils advocate type column because never seeing anderson silva fight again is a truely frightening thought

• Greg Urban says:

What a great breakdown Sam. Everything can change in “a year or so”.

• JJ Docker says:

Fantastic read and a point well made. Though, for once, I disagree with you.
    Like many others I think that Anderson Silva is already one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time. This isn’t an overly difficult conclusion to reach as he has cleaned out a competitive division in the UFC, is recognised as the number one P4P fighter in the world and is, in my opinion, head and shoulders above any other possible challengers in his weight class, globally. It’s difficult to say that with as much conviction when talking about any other fighter in the world at the moment. I believe that with his amazing technical ability, consumate professionalism and consequential “unbeatability” factor that you alluded to, Anderson Silva could go on to become not one of but the greatest MMA fighter of all time. And it is for this reason and on this basis that I disagree with your point.
    Like you Sam MMA is my life. I watch it, train it, breathe it and dream about it. I think it’s the greatest sport in the world; the most exciting, compelling, competitive, physically demanding, emotional etc. Undoubtedly it would be beneficial for the middleweight division, not just of the UFC, but of the world if Anderson Silva “retired” for a year. Or two. Or even three. But this brings about two problems for true MMA fans. Firstly, Silva may make a return to the sport, with its future array of middleweight talent, and not be the same Silva that left the sport. Imagine him making his long-awaited return to challenge the UFC Middleweight champion and losing decisively. I would find it hard to watch knowing what might have been had he not left the sport. Secondly, as a hardcore fan of mixed martial arts, I want to have the pleasure of watching the best P4P fighters in the world; the deadliest strikers, brutal ground and pounders and most beautiful submissions. As a fan and a competitor that is what I want to see. You may think he has no competition but others would argue this is only because Anderson Silva is so far ahead of them. There are fighters left to beat and records to be broken.
    Ultimately what I’m saying is that I can put up with a “boring” era for the middleweight division in exchange for the ability to say that I grew up watching the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

• JOe K. says:

“While I am bored by Silva’s prospects at 185, there are two middleweight fights for him that excite me. The problem is, they’ll never happen; Silva vs. Paulo Filho and Silva vs. Lyoto Machida are great fights we’ll never see.”

Machida’s a light heavyweight. The way thats worded it seems you’re implying he’s a middleweight. Unless your suggesting that Machida should cut weight too middleweight.

I think Nate Marquardt would give Silva a run for his money for sure. He has stopped his last 2 opponents in convincing fashion (the loss against Theiles Leites, was domination and a win in my book).

IMO, although controversial, Marquardt is the number 1 contender at middleweight.

Less controversial and basically pure fact. Machida should be number 1 contender at LHW.

• Army Guy says:

Someone will beat him. Someone none of us will expect.

That’s why they get in the ring in the first place.

I’m a Pats fan, so I know this to be true…

• ihateemo says:

I don’t agree about not seeing rematches with Henderson and Marquardt. I think Henderson screwed up cutting weight last time and gassed badly before Silva clipped him…and Marquardt seems like a totally different fighter to the one who was stomped. But I could be in a minority.

I’d also like to see Thales Leites have a go. And Bisping.

Oh, that’s the whole middleweight division? Nevermind then.

• KneeToTheFace says:

As Army Guy stated, Silva will lose eventually. But as Sammy Cap said in the original post, it won’t be by superior technique. It will be a “Mousasi Upkick” (Personally I believe he would have won anyway) or something. A wrestler like Henderson should have the tools to grind out a decision but it hasn’t worked out that way so far.

• Dan says:

Sam,

A break from action has absolutely nothing to do with building a potential challenger. The building of a contender has only to do with the emergence of talent…

As far as the highschool lab comment….that comment by itself proves a lot: 1) You are in fact childish…resorting to a personal attack and 2) You have no defense for your posts lack of logic.

Hey….why don’t we propose to Tom Brady that he retire so the competition can catch up…why not tell Albert Pujols to hang up the cleats…how about Kobe Bryant…

A TRUE FAN WOULD NEVER CALL FOR A TOP TIER ATHLETE TO TAKE A BREAK FROM ACTION UNLESS:

1) They have a vested interest in the competion
    2) They are drunk and/or stupid
    3) If the two above don’t apply, the fan would be INSANE.

I like your site (not the new format…maybe it takes some getting used to) and enjoy your commentary. You are just way off on this one.

Now apologize to your readers.

• Sam Caplan says:

Dan, I think you should hold your breath waiting for me to apologize to anyone. Taking a break can help build opposition. Just ask Frank Shamrock. I stated why yet you choose to ignore. You’re one of those people who already has their mind made up what they’re going to say and you don’t listen to any other side. I’m not going to waste my time debating with you. If you want to discuss my position in a civilized fashion, then great. But take your vitriol somewhere else. Dissenting opinions are welcomed but there’s no reason to be caustic.

Joe K., I clearly state in the article that Machida is a light heavyweight:

“Machida competes at 205 but could easily drop to 185. However, he and Silva have the same management and have too much respect to ever fight each other.”

I’m not sure why people feel compelled to comment on an article they haven’t read in its entirety.

• Jason Harris says:

Keep in mind though, this was the WW division just a couple of years ago. Matt Hughes was such a dominant champion nobody had a chance. They were throwing young talent at him too early (GSP) and he looked unbeatable.

Fastforward a year or so and that young talent was taking his belt and is now looking more dominant than Hughes ever was.

That being said, I don’t see anyone at 185 right now with GSP-like potential. There are a few guys at 205 who seem to be kicking the 185 idea around though (Wanderlei being a notable) that would make for some exciting matches. I think if Shogun starts looking like a legit contender for the 205 belt Wandy will make the drop.

Speaking of which, I’m really hoping we get to see Wandy and Shogun back in the ring soon. Never a dull fight with those guys.

• Dan says:

Sam,

Thanks for not wasting your time debating me…as the debate is over because your arguments are unsound. Even if Silva was in his early twenties, without having to answer to father time, your argument still fails.

Regarding Frank Shamrock…are you saying that he “took time off” because there was no competition? I will contend that at a certain point, Frank Shamrock never wanted to test his “ego” against the top competition….because there CERTAINLY WAS ACTIVE TOP LEVEL COMPETITION AVAILABLE WHEN HE WAS ON HIATUS. To name a few:

1) Hendo
    2) Lindland
    3) Franklin
    4) Silva, Anderson
    5) Tanner

Since you won’t apologize to your readers, at least apologize to yourself. If you won’t apologize to yourself, apologize to your methods, or lack thereof.

I do like your commentary and your site…so don’t ban me or anything. Keep on mixing it up for us mma freaks.

• Sam Caplan says:

Shamrock left because there was no one left to fight in his weight class at the time. He came back for the money and he has made over six-figures per fight since coming back. Had he stayed in the game and fought lesser competition for an extended period of time, he might not be in the physical condition he is now. If he kept fighting straight through, he might not have made it to MMA’s boom period and be able to reap the rewards he’s currently benefiting from.

Silva was not considered the pound-for-pound best until signing with the UFC. Prior to coming to the UFC, he was well-respected by hardcores but not a big enough draw for Shamrock to get six-figures to fight.

Franklin, Tanner, and Lindland were all in the UFC. Shamrock has had major legal problems with Zuffa and fighting for them is not an option.

The only viable opponent that Shamrock could have faced was Henderson. But again, Shamrock left at a time when there was no money to be made in this sport and came back when the industry had evolved.

He’s one of the few fighters that can make the kind of money he’s making without any support from the UFC. Why do you think that is? Because he preserved his legacy. When he left, he left as the pound-for-pound top fighter in the sport. People remembers that and as new challengers emerged, people always brought Shamrock’s name up as someone they’d like to see them fight. If Silva walked away now, whenever a new champion emerged, we’d all be saying “Wow, I wonder how he’d do against Anderson Silva?” And a promotion would have to pay a premium to get Silva to leave retirement and make the fight a reality.

And don’t think for a second he wouldn’t accept a fight vs. Anderson Silva if Silva weren’t contracted to the UFC. He wouldn’t stand a chance but he would never walk away from the payday.

So there’s more than enough logic and background supporting my argument. I’m sure you’ll just flippantly dismiss it without a substantive rebuttal but I’ve made my point.

• Ross says:

love your input sam- but that first response was uncalled for. (Dan, I am glad to see that your high school allows you to use the computer lab during study hall.)

The original poster was a little overboard (but overboard like M.huckaby goes overboard with his stories-wich I love) but jeez sometimes you need to take the high road as the site operator. Dont get pissed thats just my opinion, and you can ask my wife, my opinion dont mean s%*t.
    ****
    side note- whats the lattest on the Mrs? Hope to see more stories on her, in fact I would like her to provide some write ups, I think that would be very cool.

• Tony Fennen says:

Cung Le vs Silva is a fight I would LOVE to see.
    Other then that maybe Fedor? (I know thats a stretch but would still be cool)

• Jye says:

I think there’s a good chance Silva would lose a rematch with Marquardt, and I think GSP would beat him as well. Nobody’s unbeatable in MMA, there are too many variables and it only takes one slip up and you lose the fight.

I don’t think that anybody will ever get the better of him standing but when you say that nobody’s ever given a blueprint on how to beat him that’s untrue. Look at his fights with Takase, Chonan and Otsuka. He had zero takedown defense in those fights, it’s probably improved now, but I say that a good wrestler with a good double leg hardly even needs to set up their shots to get him to the ground.

And also Silva was gonna lose the fight with Chonan anyway, there was only about three minutes left when he pulled out that submission so I think the fight as a whole is relevant

• demonianray says:

Nice post, Sam, but what makes me chuckle here is that this was written by the same Sam Caplan that wrote that A. Silva was beatable because his wrestling was not good, and GSP was no.1 in pound for pound.

• egad81 says:

What RETIRE?

He prolly said he needed to retire to bed for the evening….

• neosamurai says:

I don’t think it’s been mentioned but I think Silva vs Manhoef would bea great match up. I’d take Silva to win with the height and reach but I think it would be an excellent match up from a spectator stand point.

• darkmetal says:

You raise some very valid points, Sam.
    I do wonder if Silva’s stated need to prove himself as a boxer might also be in play with his statements regarding “retirement”. It could be, and of course it is speculation, that Silva wants to try his hand in boxing for awhile, and that he might bow out for some period in the relatively near future.
    Actually, doing so might actually be a good thing. I love the way the guy fights, but who else can he fight at this point? He has won against just about everyone noteable, which leaves him having to move up in weight class, or retire for a point and returning to do it all over again. If he retired and then returned after a year, would we see a whole new breed of fighters for Silva to conquer? Possibly.

I personally don’t see Silva becoming any more than an amusement in the boxing realm, but who knows? But he could try it out, and then return to MMA.

But I wonder if a fighter of his caliber also doesn’t have to also realise that he needs to guard his “wonder years” while he can as well. Being a great champion can be very lucrative in terms of dollars, and this won’t last forever. I think he could continue to be great for another 5 years or so, but in time everyone loses luster, and he should consider that.

• fightfan says:

Sorry I didnt read ALL comments to this point. So if this was covered, well :(. Talking about Bisping and the MW title is absolutely ludicrous. I know he is treated as well as Kimbo is when it comes to marketing. Bisping has fought at BEST all C level fighters with a couple exceptions out of , what 8 or 9 UFC fights. They have handed him 3 or 4 ONE dimensional BJJ grapplers that are at best C fighters, then the rest were mostly wrestlers, NO DECENT STRIKERS!!!??!!. WW’s in Haynes and Pointon that cant win in small shows. He and Hammil were hand picked for ONE of them to win TUF(just go back and look where the other guys are now….NOWHERE)

I know the MW division is weak….But come one there are at least 8 or 10 gus above Bisping, guys that have fought the top guys in the 185.

And talk of Bisping being a coach against Henderson and then those 2 fight for top contender is about as ridiculis as saying KSlice will be top contender if he beats Shamrock.

Let Bisping face the B level fighters in the UFC before we mention his name and titles. There are guys like Leites, Kampmann, Reljic, Franklin, Marquardt, even Grove or MCfedries and the list could go on. This guy runs his mouth about how he never gets beat up…..well, let him actually face a striker and that will change…..Quit hand picking him 1 dim BJJ guys and wrestlers.

The only 2 decent fighters Bisping faced, he lost to. I will give him the respect when he earns it. I said it after 2 or 3 of his fights…..that the UFC will baby him and feed him the easiet wins, in order to give him a title shot and make him even more poplular

• Dan says:

So Sam, are you now saying that Silva should retire to make more money and preserve his legacy? The bottom line is this and I have no idea how you can argue it….

A FAN OF MIXED MARTIAL ARTS…A FAN OF ANDERSON SILVA SHOULD NOT SUGGEST HE SHOULD RETIRE.

There are so many things in life you can not control. You cannot make a strong argument that he will make more money if he retires and comes back to defend his legacy because this is UNKNOWN. What is known is that there are many CHALLENGING and interesting matchups for Silva that he will be very well compensated for.

• Batman says:

In six fights he will be old anyway might as well retire before he ruins his legacy like Ken Shamrock did.

• HexRei says:

Most convolutedly noncommittal paragraph ever :)

• Richie says:

In fairness to Chonan’s “hail marry [sic]” heel hook, Silva was actually losing that fight at the point that move was executed in the third round. Sam you make it sound as if Anderson had that fight in hand but if you go back and watch it Chonan was pretty clearly ahead in the fight and if it had gone to a decision he most likely would have won. That’s not to say Anderson couldn’t have found a way to pull it out in the last few minutes but obviously he didn’t get that chance.

• RoughKarpenter says:

Good article, I didn’t agree with all your opinions, but good none the less. I have to say the commentary was slightly more entertaining.

I have to say, before Silva-Leben I never knew the name Anderson Silva.
    He took the sport by storm upon entering the UFC. I fell in love with his talent instantly, But haven’t his fights become monotinous? Now evertime I watch him fight, I pray he gets the crap knocked out of him. Maybe thats just me.

• Robert says:

Silva won’t retire until he avenges that loss to Daiju Takase.

• UFC FAN says:

The solution is very simple. I’ve been saying for 1 1/2 years that Silva would be very effective and could enhance his legacy by competing at 205lbs. I was told that he would not be as effective at 205 and is too small. I argued with so many “experts” about this for the past year, and thank God that he moved up and destroyed a decent 205lb fighter and shut them the fuck up. Silva should move up to 205 permanently sometime next year. As another poster stated, it’s not like there’s a dearth of talent at 205. I would make him the favorite over every 205 pound fighter, with the possible exception of Machida (which would be a pick-em fight) He beats one dimensional Chuck easily, Rampage, Griffin, and the others.

• FEDOR hid this DVD from you! says:

Heck, whatever the reasons, I’d still like to see him fight at least for another 5 years. He’s at the top of his game and everyone in his weight division benchmarks their performance based on Silva’s. If he was to go, that might slide everyone’s game down a notch. Besides, it’s always exciting to watch Spider knock people out ;)

• FEDOR hid this DVD from you! says: