WEC announces Miguel Torres vs. Manny Tapia for title on Dec. 3; will drop middleweight and light heavyweight divisions in 2009

World Extreme Cagefighting made two major announcements via its website on Friday morning.

First, the promotion has formally announced that Miguel Torres will defend his WEC bantamweight title against Manny Tapia on Wednesday, December 3 at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino.

Tickets for the event will go on sale on Monday, Oct. 6 at 1 p.m. ET.

The promotion also announced that the Dec. 3 show will be the final time it promotes fights in the light heavyweight and middleweight divisions. In 2009, the WEC will only promote fights in the welterweight (170 lbs.), lightweight (155 lbs.), featherweight (145 lbs.) and bantamweight (135 lbs.) weight classes.

Torres won the title at WEC 32 in Albuquerque, N.M. this past February when he submitted Chase Beebe with a guillotine choke at 3:59 of round 1. The jiu-jitsu black belt hails from East Chicago and has a career MMA record of 34-1.

Torres and Tapia had been scheduled to fight at WEC 34 in Sacramento this past June but Tapia was forced to pull out of the fight due to injury. Torres instead defended his title against Yoshiro Maeda and retained the belt after a doctor called a stop to the fight following the third round due to a swollen eye sustained by Maeda.

Tapia is a veteran of 11 career fights and is undefeated with a record of 10-0-1. He is 2-0 while competing for the WEC with wins over Brandon Foxworth and Antonio Banuelos.

The WEC’s decision to discontinue its middleweight and light heavyweight divisions means that fighters such as current WEC light heavyweight champion Steve Cantwell and middleweight champion Paulo Filho could be relocated to the UFC. Other fighters such as Brian Stann, Chael Sonnen, Mark Munoz, and Jake Rosholt are candidates to be transferred as well.

• flassassin says:

I know I’m going to get booed for this, BUT… Let’s see Stann-Cantwell III!

The only reason I think this is a good fight to set up is because it is the last in the WEC. It make sense to bring the LHW champ back in to defend his belt for the first and last time. Who else would we be interested in seeing him fight considering the belt goes into instant retirement? It also would allow Zuffa to promote these two to the fullest extent before they are both overwhelmed with actual UFC fighters. Really – to me this is a no-brainer.

• Loco541 says:

i think its alright their going to drop the two divisions. But they seriously need to add the flyweights. If the WEC is trying to be the best promoters for the lighter weight divisions then then it would be a huge mistake not to premiere them. Someone, everyone we need to make it known, add the flyweights and i guarantee we and the WEC wont regret it!

• Jim says:

On the flyweights – how many US based flyweights, that are of the caliber WEC would be interested in, are available to add the division? I’ve seen a few here or there but not in significant quantities. I’m stuck in Ohio so I only see small portion of the avaiable fighters…

• Tony Fennen says:

I agree we need to see some lighter weight classes. There are some bad ass fighters at 125.
    Cant wait to see Stann vs Cantwell 3 in the UFC

• ThatsRowdy says:

Bart Palasweski vs Alex Karalexis is also supposed to be happening on this card. It is also tentative that Jeff Curran will be fighting as well that night. At least this is the word going around the gym at Team Curran.

• mr5k says:

like to see WEC promote female mma also, doubt its gonna happen but it would be awesome. losing the MW and LHW can only make WEC cards even better
    awesome news

• Neil says:

Thank god. Was there any real point to having MW and LHW around in the WEC? Not to take anything away from Stann or Cantwell, but COMBINED they’ve got a record of 12-1, which is just enough (in my mind) to get them a shot at a UFC contender, let alone a title. The WEC has enough talent in it’s lighter classes that they don’t need to bother putting emphasis on a nobody champ who is getting tested by some other nobody.. doing that just cheapens the belt.

• portland mma says:

I honestly think Tapia and Torres could be a fight of the year candidate.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Portland MMA: You say that like it’s a far fetched idea, man.

Torres/Tapia will blow our freaking minds!!

• Robert says:

I would rather see a Torres Maeda rematch.

• Matt says:

Before a Torres Tapia fight??? Yeeea right. Don’t get me wrong the Maeda fight was unreal but I feel like Maeda was on defense too much, which is why he lost lol. I think Miguel v Manny Tapia is a wayy better style matchup, more striking

• Matt says:

Not that there was necessarily a shortage of striking in the Maeda fight, I just think Torres is too much on the ground for Maeda, like I said Maeda was playing a lot of defense

• Matt says:

…I just think Torres is too much, standing up, for Maeda….. That’s what I meant to say lol