State of Florida has no immediate plans to investigate EliteXC bribery accusations

While many columnists and writers have called for an investigation in response to vague comments made Monday by Seth Petruzelli during a radio interview on 104.1 FM in Orlando that many feel suggests he claimed EliteXC officials offered him a bonus to keep the fight standing, the state of Florida has no immediate plans to do so.

“The Department has not received any official complaints regarding the fight Saturday night,” Department of Business and Professional Regulation Press Secretary Alexis Antonacci revealed exclusively to FiveOuncesOfPain.com via e-mail in response to a request for comment. “At this time, we have no reason to believe that any wrongdoing occurred. If we did receive a complaint, we would conduct a thorough investigation of all allegations.”

Five Ounces of Pain also spoke with Petruzelli again Tuesday morning during a full-length interview that will be appearing later today. During the interview, we asked Petruzelli to further clarify his initial comments made during the Monsters morning show.

We specifically asked Petruzelli if he had been contacted by EliteXC following the 104.1 FM interview and before he issued comment to us Monday afternoon.

“No, not at all,” he responded. “Honestly, when I woke up in the morning my words were jumbled and obviously my head was in a daze from drinking (laughs) the entire night. Reading the transcript, I actually now feel I worded it perfectly in what I wanted to say. I wanted to keep the fight standing and they offered a knockout bonus and I wanted to get the knockout bonus.”

We also asked Petruzelli about a descrepancy between the listed compensation in his bout agreement that we obtained from the Florida State Boxing Commission ($50,000) and the six-figure total he claimed he received for the fight during the 104.1 interview.

“The knockout bonus was the additional money,” Petruzelli said. “And my sponsors — I added my sponsors in there too for it. So it was a knockout bonus plus my sponsorships that I got.”

Petruzelli also indicated that he would have received the same exact bonus had he submitted Kimbo Slice in his fight with him this past weekend during CBS’ airing of Saturday Night Fights.

EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw also left a voice mail in response to a message we had left for him earlier in the day seeking comment. According to Shaw, Petruzelli was not encouraged in any way to keep the fight standing.

However, the idea of a potential conspiracy gained additional traction late last night after Bryan Alvarez reported in the premium section of Figure 4 Online that Ken Shamrock also had been offered a bonus to stand with Slice.

“Seth Petruzelli said that he was paid to stand with Kimbo,” Alvarez writes. “Well, he said that and then he claimed he never said it. For what it’s worth, we heard in the days leading up to the fight that Ken Shamrock was going to be paid to stand with him as well.”

Five Ounces of Pain contacted Shamrock’s attorney, Rod Donohoo, for comment, however, our request was not immediately returned.

• Suspicious says:

I’m not one for conspiracies at all. But don’t forget that there were a lot of “fixed” whispers after Bo Cantrell fell like a tree from a shady Kimbo punch. At this point, especially with $kala involved including his screaming cageside this fight as well as the previous Kimbo fight, everything is suspicious.

• Joey says:

All promoters encourage fighters to put on a good show, this is no different.

If Machida was exciting, he’d have a title shot by now . . . probably even a title. If Okami was exciting . . .

Promoters don’t want boring fights, if you want to call that a conspiracy, go ahead

• jdavis says:

If Florida isn’t going to investigate it then it’s not going to go away, this has gained too much traction in the last couple of days. I rather see a formal investigation to get to the bottom of this and clear EliteXC(if they are innocent) instead of it just getting shrugged off and never actually cleared up.

• JoHn says:

IM sorry, but even if he were asked or even told to keep the fight standing, it wouldnt matter anyway because there was no time to take the fight to the ground considering it only lasted 14 seconds anyway. I wonder how kimbo feels that seth’s ko to him was faster than any ko he has had. HAHAHAHA, kimbo being ko’ed by a ufc washout is priceless, kinda like kimbo’s stock as an mma fighter now. i love it.

• Robert says:

If you don’t like Kimbo and are glad he lost i can understand you finding it “priceless”. Adding that Seth was a UFC washout i don’t understand you bringing up unless you personally have a vested interest in the UFC.Being a fan of a promotion instead of the sport of MMA makes no sense to me.This is the reason Dana White has more fans than most of the fighters it just does not make any sense.

• wentzel says:

Common practice: there was knock out bonus. Every promotion in the world offers one.

It appears that Alvarez is working on behalf of zuffa.

God! is there one mma reporter who will call it down the middle? I understand Kimbo had to be degraded after the hype, but now zuffa is paying people to call the fight fixed? This is horrible for the sport.

Even a bum like Alvarez should have some self-respect shouldn’t he?

• Joey says:

He lost to Hammil and Gouveia (sic), not to much to be ashamed of . . . Oh yeah, he lost 2 of his first 3 fights, but I don’t think he deserves to be thrown to the dogs over his record.