Diego Sanchez out of UFC 90 match-up with Thiago Alves; to be replaced by Josh Koscheck

Multiple sources have confirmed that Diego Sanchez is out of his fight at UFC 90 against Thiago Alves.

Sanchez pulled out of the fight due to torn rib cartilage and will be replaced on the Oct. 25 fight card at the Allstate Arena by fellow TUF 1 alum Josh Koscheck.

Koshcheck had been scheduled to headline UFC Fight Night 16: “UFC Fight for the Troops” on Dec. 10 in Fayetteville, N.C. against Yoshiyuki Yoshida. A replacement for Koscheck in that bout is still pending.

• mike says:

this card is losing everyone…

• JollyDV says:

Any ideas on who the replacement will be???

• KTru says:

everyone is off the juice so more frequent injuries……
    I am joking……

This is getting out of hand

• JoHn says:

im sure it will be the always reliable Matt Hughes, they always call on Matt Hughes for a short notice fight, and this will give him the opportunity to avenge his loss to Alves

• KTru says:

Throw Fitch in there against Alves again….or Hyung Kim

• KTru says:

No way Hughes is taking this fight…….

He might not be fully recovered from his injury and he has Serra on the horizon

• Fin Diesel says:

Fitch would be great, but he can’t cut all the weight in that short of time….

I know Karo wants his rematch, but he isn’t right in the head…

Koscheck would have been great too, but he has Yoshida….

Not too many top names are available, so I hope they don’t put in a bum. This sucks….

• mburten says:

If the UFC doesn’t mind scrapping a UFC 89 bout, Marcus Davis or Chris Lytle (rematch) would be good. Otherwise Parisyan (if his back is better) could get his rematch. Otherwise, Swick, Serra, Fitch, Koscheck, or Yoshida could stand up and take it on short notice, although that would suck for them.

• PhilTheApple says:

Motherfucker!!! I cant beleive the most anticipated fight for a while has gone down the drain!

• mburten says:

I’m thinking Serra. The Hughes fight is far enough away. Serra hasn’t fought since UFC 83. A win over Alves would keep him at the top of the food chain.

• Fin Diesel says:

Good thought with Serra, but I don’t know if they risk Hughes/Serra in any way….

They know that is a big fight, and both guys are healing from injuries. I hope they save it for the March Columbus, OH show, so I can see it in person.

I’m sure there aren’t too many top guys willing to step up and fight Thiago, but maybe a second tier guy that will make an exciting fight.

• KTru says:

People want to see Hughes v Serra, so dont look for either to jeopardize themselves. Karo makes sense, but just as much as Fitch would.
    Plus this makes it easier for Alves if Fitch could not cut. Thiago probably will not mind fighting at a higher weight.

• IS says:

Koscheck will be fighting him

• mburten says:

It appears as though it will be Koscheck

• Toad says:

Its Josh Koscheck, which is a good choice in my opinion.

• Fin Diesel says:

Nice if it is Koscheck. Then Karo and Yoshida can have their fight.

• Jay K. says:

This is disappointing as I live in Chicago and would’ve like to have seen this fight. I’m glad that Kos’ is steppin’ up and hope he dispatches Alves who probably won’t make weight again.

• john says:

why are yall so sure its koscheck, yall are right with your serra/hughes views, that fight is far too important to risk one of them

• Davey D says:

Kos is a good choice. Great for all parties involved. I like the clash of styles this fight presents. A catch weight might be needed but probably not since Josh comes from a wrestling background and trains at AKA . Thiago has been training all along so he should be good.

It sucks that Diego isn’t fighting but now we’ll see a fight just as potent. Maybe an even better one depending who you ask? I see fireworks happening. Maybe Diego can fight Yoshida or Swick next? Get well Nightmare.

• Davey D says:

• Rich S. says:

that totally crushes my entire universe..

either way..

kos/alves is just fine..

• Bad Monkey says:

F**k!!! That was the best fight on the card. I don’t know if this card is good enough at this point to bother paying for. Unfortunately for me, $50 does matter in my monthly budget and this card is looking awfully weak to spend the money on. Decisions, decisions.

• http://www.lvsportsnews.com/fighter/cage-fighting/josh-koscheck/ says:

we were all looking forward to that fight and watching Diego fight. Anderson Silva and Sean Sherk are still on the card but honestly it’s not worth buying. My recommendation would be to go to a bar that is showing the fight if you want to watch, to spend $50 would be silly. Koscheck is a solid fighter and will have his hands full with Alves.

• keenan says:

why would u rather go to the bar then stay home with five friend(if you can muster that many) its like ten bucks each, plus a six pack each here in canada, thats a lot cheaper then all of you buying six beers at the bar and some food, buying at home is always the better choice, plus when im losing it i dont have everyone staring at me, except when gsp is on, then the bar is a must

• Bad Monkey says:

Yep, I’m afraid Kos may let his ego get in the way of a gameplan and try to stand up with Thiago, in which case he’ll get KO’d 1st or 2nd round.

• Spaz says:

Koschek is a bone-head, he was a butt on the reality show and is a butt to this day. All I want out of the UFC is for Diego Sanchez to get healthy and pound his ass.

Anyone else out there agree?