Chris Leben tests positive for steroids; suspended nine months

UFC middleweight Chris Leben has been suspended nine months and fined an undisclosed amount by Zuffa officials after testing positive for the steroid Stanazolol, according to a report by Dave Meltzer of Yahoo! Sports.

Leben reportedly tested positive following his three-round loss to Michael Bisping at UFC 89 on Oct. 18 in Birmingham, England. The exact amount of Leben’s fine is unknown, as his purse figure has never been publicly released. However, he will lose a third of whatever he was paid.

“I am obviously disappointed with Chris, who has made great strides getting his life back on track,” UFC President Dana White is quoted as saying in the Yahoo! report. “To his credit, he has taken responsibility for his actions and is accepting the punishment that has been handed down. But as always, the UFC puts the safety of its athletes first and foremost, and we won’t tolerate anyone using performance enhancing drugs in our organization.”

The only regulation of combat sports in England is the country’s boxing commission, which does not preside over MMA.

Since the sport is not regulated in the UK, the UFC utilizes company Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Mark Ratner as an independent regulator with the company administring drug tests to its own athletes. Ratner formerly served as the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

• detroit_fan says:

Nice to hear someone actually admit it.

• neon says:

speechless!! the guy has the world by the bag and pulls this shit!! some people just can’t handle things when there going in the right direction!! what a shame!! very disappointed!!

• Rich S. says:

DANG!!

He was looking super cut, better than ever..
    i just figured he was finally on the right path..

what a shame..

• Jeff L says:

well, that explains the body changes. Super.

• islandguy666 says:

He was “doing everything to turn his life around”.. including cheating… not a great plan. Just another kick in the nuts for MMA. Thanks Chris.

But if someone at his level is doing it… it is because they have some expectation that they will not get caught.. meaning that they know of people doing it that do not get caught…

Where steroids are concerned .. I think we’d be amazed at how many are using them…

• mike says:

Hey Sam, I just seen the news on the bottom line of espn. I guess MMA is getting more and more mainstream every week.

• Dan says:

you have to respect the UFC and give them a ton of credit for this policy of testing their own fighters. This is clearly not a short sighted action, as they are protecting the integrity of the sport and the UFC. Let us hope that leben learns his lesson and moves on rather than going on a bender.

• KMac says:

Though disappointed ti hear that all the hype about Liben’s new outlook on life, etc was just hype.

But props must be given to the UFC for actually doing testing on their own this time. Last time in the U.K., with no sactioning body, there was no testing at all.

• islandguy666 says:

Yeah actually. Props to the UFC for busting a name fighter…

• Bad Monkey says:

That sucks. Leben seems like a genuinely good guy who just can’t quite get his shit together. I’ve known a few guys like him before. I hope he can come thru all of this a better man and get back in the cage asap. Good Luck, Chris.

• Robert says:

What good did the steroid use do him? Not only did he lose the fight now he has 9 months off, I don’t understand why people try and get away with it when they know if they get caught their going to not only get suspended,fined,trashed in the media, but also wait and hear how many boos he gets from the UFC fans.I don’t think it’ll be as bad as Sherk get’s,but he’ll here it.

• Echolocating says:

What an idiot. I was really looking forward to seeing Leben learn from this loss and move on… now I don’t care if I ever see him fight again. I can’t stand cheaters.

The good news here is that the UFC actually cares about the integrity of the sport and it’s fighters. This is a good sign of things to come from the UFC.

• Spencer says:

This whole situation sucks IMO. The UFC went put the promotional machine behind Leben for his fight against Bisping, showing the changes he had made and painting him as a man who grew up and was headed down the right path. Way to pay them back Chris!

I honestly don’t think the number of guys using would be as startling as some might think. You have to remember that most of these guys don’t make a great deal of money fighting, so a six, nine or twelve month layoff is a huge hit in the wallet that many of these guys can’t afford.

• Glen McCoy says:

A leopard does not change his spots.Chris was a thug on the TUF show and is still a thug.I do not understand why UFC puts so much faith in these loosers.Chris can now bunk with Junie and both loosers can sit around and be drunks.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I guess it’s up to me to dissent. Sure, Leben screwed up by using steroids. But if he’s stopped drinking, which was a huge problem for him, he’s still made a lot of progress and his life really is “back on track.” There’s a big difference between struggling with an addiction and the use of steroids. If you’re out there Chris, just take it one day at a time, buddy.

• mandy says:

I agree the use of steriods is not the same as a life time of alcohol abuse but it’s still disappointing to see a guy like Leben think he has to resort to steriods for help in a professional fight. I like Leben and I hope he gets his shit together….he’s fun to watch!! And I wouldn’t compare him to Junie, that kid is a douche bag!!!

• Shaun says:

What a disappointment. Everyone fucking knows they’re getting tested sooner or later, especially considering that was a main event fight ,of course you’re getting a fucking drug test. Hasn’t anyone learned from stephan bonnar or sean sherk?

• darkmetal says:

Say it ain’t so, Chris!

The grim fact is that despite the addition of an illegal anabolic substance (steroid), Leben still couldn’t win the fight with Bisping. I guess that steroids just don’t make your arms longer, do they? (I credit the, what was it, 5 inch reach deficit in reach as part of Leben’s inability to engage with Bisping)

I continue to think Leben is a great fighter, but am sorely disappointed with this attempt to cheat.

Kudos to the UFC for continuing to test for illegal substances. Maybe now they can tell Joe Rogan to quit claiming that Marijuana “Makes you better in BJJ” as it really doesn’t help the whole issue, truthfully.

• Robert says:

Do you people here what you’re saying? It’s better to take a steroid or human growth hormone than alcohol abuse.I agree,but guess which is illegal. That’s right it’s illegal to take a drug that increases muscle mass but it’s legal to be a useless drunk!

• DamonO says:

Shaun on November 4th, 2008 5:08 pm

Is that you Dana White?

Robert on November 4th, 2008 5:32 pm

Wow, you really turned things around with the whole “legality” situation.

DamonO on November 5th, 2008 3:12 am

I knew he was juicing the moment I saw him step into the ring. No one gains that much muscle mass that quickly. Especially someone who has been working out regularly for years. His traps and his biceps were a dead giveaway! I pointed that out to everyone who was there watching the fights that night. They all said “Nah, he’s just been working really hard.” BS, he juiced and he got caught. He tried to use his hair as a distraction away from his juiced muscles. I say great job UFC!

• JollyDV says:

For me, Chris has always been the down on his luck all through life kinda guy and liked him for his honesty about how hard his life was growing up and that he was able to find something positive to change the cycle. I saw the drunken behaviour in the TUF house but I was never aware that it continued on since then until the UFC 89 preshow and when he talked about this was the first time he was sober that long except when he was in Basic Training and in jail. So I want him to win even more because he admits he has a problem with alcohol and he is in Hawaii with a good job as a trainer, his life is getting better.

Then boom, he tests positive for steroids. What?? Boy did he pull one over on me. He stopped using one drug(alcohol) and replaced it with another one. Jeez. He must have an empty void somewhere in his psyche and uses to fill it.

I know very little about steroids. But this happened to me last week. True story. I went to the dentist and was chatting with him and told him that I had started taking kickboxing. He then proceeds to tell me that he has a friend who is a MD and he buys low dose steroids from him. He said that they help him in his workout regime. He said that he is 49 years old but the steroids make his body behave/react as though it was only a 30 year old body. The aches and pains aren’t as bad, and the effects of his workout show faster results. Well, I ask isn’t that illegal? No, he says they are just under what the illegal limit would be and that it is actually good for you. He then offers to get me some if I wanted. I said no thanks. So one MD and a DDS both advocate the use of steroids. I personally thought that was scary. If two medical professionals advocate the use of steroids then it is no wonder that atheletes continue to use them and not just MMA fighters ie. the female Vietnamese gymnast from the Olympics this summer.