Former IFL heavyweight Shane Ott fighting for life in Philadelphia-area hospital

Former IFL heavyweight fighter Shane Ott is fighting for his life in a Philadelphia-area hospital following a severe motorcycle accident early Sunday morning, sources have confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

Word initially spread Sunday afternoon that the 37-year old had died from the injuries, but that is not the case. However, indications are that Ott has sustained devastating injuries and his recovery is less than certain.

Ott has been affiliated with the Anthracite Combat Club in Minersville, Pennsylvania, where he trained under Jeff Wolcott. The camp has also produced former EliteXC fighters Jon Murphy and Jim Bova.

According to friends, Ott was a natural wrestler who had an extensive history of street fighting. He was able to turn his life around after getting involved in MMA and was considered one of the top heavyweights on the Northeastern regional circuit.

Making his pro debut on March 23, 2007, Ott recorded a TKO over Allen Royster at 1:06 of round 1 during Extreme Challenge 75. The win over Royster allowed him to compete for the IFL in just his second fight, as Ott was tapped as a last-minute injury replacement to compete against Chad Griggs. Ott once again finished his opponent in the first round, submitting Griggs with a Kimura just 1:09 into the fight.

Ott improved his record to 3-0 following another first round finish, this time against TUF 2 veteran Kerry Schall during Extreme Challenge 77. Despite giving up a great deal of experience, Ott was able to TKO Schall at just 1:23 of round 1.

Ott then suffered back-to-back losses in the IFL against Antoine Jaoude and Roy Nelson, however, he was able to take the eventual-IFL heavyweight champion Nelson to a decision in their June 16, 2007 encounter.

His most recent fight was on April 19 of this year against former Pittsburgh Steelers All-Pro offensive lineman Carlton Haselrig. Haselrig, a former six-time NCAA champion in freestyle wrestling, recorded an upset victory over Ott following a TKO at 4:09 of round 1 at Battle Cage Xtreme 4 in Atlantic City, N.J.

We’re monitoring this story closely and will have more details as they become available.

• Nick Travaglini says:

Shane is in my Prayers. Your a fighter Shane, hang in there and fight.

• Sam Caplan says:

Brent, I’ve been told that as of early this morning Shane was in bad shape and had lost his leg, but that he had been moved from a hospital in Reading to a hospital in Philadelphia and that he is still alive fighting. Shane still needs prayers.

• bcolflesh says:

Thanks, Sam – the same news is popping up everywhere now – I’ll keep an eye out for your full report.

• Nick says:

thanks sam for getting an accurate report out there
    shane is still fighting!
    pray for him and his recovery.

• garth says:

hang in there shane…

• Steve says:

good luck Shane

• Jerry says:

First-class guy. Our prayers are with him and his family.

• Christy Ott says:

Shane is not dead at this point he is in a medically induced coma to slow down internal bleeding. Please don’t believe the rumors that you hear. He is in very bad condition and all prayers are appreciated by the Ott family. If any thing changes in his condition I will post a comment. thanks for prayers and wishes.
    His cousin Christy

• THORAZINE says:

Sad news,,, he was a tough guy..

• Sam Caplan says:

Christy, thank you for the update, we really appreciate it.

• Christy Ott says:

Shane has had some surgeries and at one point even responded to being in pain. They have put him back in the coma for now. He is supposed to have surgery today 11/4 on his broken leg so as of right now Shane is being the man we all know and love and fighting all the way. He does not know that he lost his leg so he has a long, hard road but he also has 3 children who see these so people, PLEASE don’t say he is dead. He is alive and fighting and starting to improve so please continue with the prayers they are working. Thanks, Christy Ott

• Sam Caplan says:

Christy, thanks again for the update. Our prayers are definitely with him.

Also, I was wondering if you might be able to clear something up. I had heard from a source that Shane might have lost additional limbs?

• Christy Ott says:

Sam, that was at first a possibility but they were able to save all other limbs. His other leg is broken, the bones in both arms are shredded and all fingers and hands are broken. He had his splean removed and has internal bleeding which they are trying to control. They are working on the leg that he lost right now to try to build up enough for a fake leg. As of this morning they put a trach in and he started to have some swelling on the brain so they put something in there to moniter and control the swelling. Both lungs are punctured which means broken ribs. He will be in surgery all day today and if anyone has any questions to the facts and not bullshit you may call me at 484-955-1127 and I will try to answer any questions that I can. Again to everyone thank you for your prayers and concerns. We all love him and hope for the best. Thanks, Christy

• Keith a.k.a. Mr. Nice Guy says:

praying for you Shane, keep fighting.
    much respect

• Kris Seidel says:

As My sister Christy has expressed ,we are grateful for all the prayers and thoughts that people have left . I am sure Shane is fighting this battle as hard and with full heart as he has on so many occasions in his life. We the family appreciate all the kind words. Please though all keep in mind that others read this too and do not want to see things written that are not true. We thank all for that. We know that Shane is going to keep fighting and with much prayers will win this battle. Thanks, Kris

• Christy Ott says:

Hi Mr Nice Guy, I make sure to tell Shanes mom everything that everyone has been saying and all the prayers and well wishers so thank you for being his friend Christy

• bcolflesh says:

Wow Christy, your description of his injuries is overwhelming – does anyone know what exactly happened? Was he run over/struck by a larger vehicle?

• Christy Ott says:

• Joe from The Rear Naked Choke says:

I’ve had the pleasures of interviewing Shane for The Rear Naked Choke radio show on JoeTed.com, meeting him and seeing him fight in person. What a terrific guy with a great story.

We’re devastated to hear about Shane’s accident, and all our thoughts and prayers from The RNC family go to Shane and his family, for everyone’s strength through this. Please be strong.

Thank you so much for the updates, Christy.

• Linds says:

My prayers and thoughts go out to Shane and his whole family. Shane is well known around here in Reading Pa. He’s one cool ass dude and when I heard of the news late sunday evening I was in shock. Im praying that he will get better, he’s a fighter and Im sure that he will pull through this!!!!

• jackie says:

my thoughts and prayers are with Shane and his family.

• Kris Seidel says:

Please all keep the prayers and thoughts coming. Every little word will keep his fighting powers going. Once again, as a family member of Shane’s , I love seeing all the great things people have said and some stories that have been told about how you know him. Keep them coming because they are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kris

• garth says:

i don’t pray, but i’m pulling for Shane 100%…keep fighting big guy!

• lisa says:

My thoughts and prayers are with Shane. I have known him for many many years. I was numbed to hear of his accident. I know he has the fight in him to pull thru this. My uncle made a miraculous recovery last year from a bike accident and I have faith in Shane to do the same. I wish the family the strength to help him thru this as well.Peace.

• Tim says:

I know Shane through the tattoo shop. I had enough trust to allow him to put a tattoo on my daughter. I trust now that he will pull through this. God Bless you, Shane….stay strong.

• AlexV says:

Wow…. may Shane come though this all…. and Peace be with the Ott family.

• Rodney says:

I heard about Shane’s accident and I have known Shane for a very long time and I am very sorry to hear about all the hardship he is going through and I know he will make it through because he is tough. My family and I wish to send you and your family our thoughts and prayers at this time.

Is there an address where Shane can receive cards and get well wishes.

GET WELL SOON SHANE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jesse says:

My thoughts, prayers, and well wishes to Shane and his family. As a father it pains me to hear the news. I’ll keep his kids in my prayers too that they get Shane back. So sorry to hear this news.

Kepp fighting Shane!

• Linds says:

To shane’s family, how is he doing?

• Julie says:

Stay strong, keep fighting and get well soon Shane.

You and your family are in my prayers. I wish you all the best.

God bless.

• Rodney says:

To Christy or Kris – Can we please have an update on Shane and an address of a place to send get well wishes.

• Sam Craley says:

Awh Shane, I’m so sorry that this happened. Ya know…there are other ways to ask for time off & find out how many people care about you! My heart goes out to you and your entire family. You’ve always been an outstanding man and a phenomenal father who can (and will) do anything you set your mind on. I’m praying you can get better fast and pain free. Do what you do best – stay strong & keep fighting for yourself. We’re all here for you so please let us know if there’s any way we can help. You’ll always have have a big place in my heart. Stu, Mindy & Clancy all send well wishes too. :)

• maniac1993 says:

I heard he was moved to the hospital in Phili he is in severe but stable condition for everybody wondering my prayers are with him too

• Tom says:

Shane recently finished a large tattoo on my arm. After sitting there talking to him for hours and hours ,listening to him talk about his children,and how proud he was to ride his fathers bike,instead of his chopper,you could see what a great guy he is. I hope he makes it though this horrible time,I know he ,will he’s a fighter and a talented tattoo artist.

• lisa says:

Does anyone have an address where we can send cards? I wish him everything to pull thru this. Blessed be Shane…

• Marcy says:

I was at Shane’s spaghetti dinner benefit tonight in Kutztown. I thought I would pass this along to everyone here….
    There is going to be a Benefit Concert for Shane at the Silo on Sunday, Dec. 7th
    It is an all ages show from noon to 10pm.
    Tickets are available at Reading Tattoo and Paradise Lost Tattoos for a
    $30 donation.
    There will be food, door/raffle prizes in addition to the following live bands…
    American Speedway, The Speedkings, The Noid, The Machetes, 3rd Side,
    Quentin and the Comancheros, New Blood, Gryn and Defend Your Own…
    with more bands to be announced.
    All proceeds will benefit the Shane Ott Care Fund to help cover his hefty medical bills.
    Please pass this along!!

• C Haselrig says:

I’m sorry to hear about the recent accident. I know Shane has the heart of a true champion and as he has shown will continue to fight to get better. I will keep you Shane in my prayers as well as your family. As you know tough times never last, TOUGH people DO!

• Tim says:

My prayers are with you Shane and your family. Stay strong.

Thanks for the Silo update.

• Jessie says:

Any recent updates on Shane’s progress?

• Brad Felt says:

Shane is one of my best friends since we were around 6yrs or so we played every year of football together. He is strong and is doing better from the reports I am getting he is awake and knows what happen. he still has a lot of progress to make and he will. may all the prayers be with you and keep you strong. I will see you in Dec. when I get my break from this Army crap.

• sam craley says:

Hi, please remove my comment from 11/9/08.