Jason Lambert latest fighter to drop off the UFC roster

With its fighter roster once again hovering above 180 fighters, the UFC once again finds itself looking to reduce the number of contracted fighters to the organization.

In addition to Werdum departing the organization, FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned earlier today that middleweight Jason Lambert is now also a free agent. Soon after hearing the news from our initial source, we were able to confirm the development with Matt Stansell, Lambert’s manager with NCFC Management.

Lambert’s departure comes after he had sustained three consecutive losses while inside the Octagon. His most recent defeat took place at UFC 88 in September, where he was submitted in the second round by Jason MacDonald in his debut as a middleweight.

Prior to UFC 88, Lambert had competed as a light heavyweight and began his UFC career with a 3-0 record with victories against Rob MacDonald, Terry Martin, and Branden Lee Hinkle. His most notable win took place at UFC 68 in March of 2007 during that preceded Randy Couture’s upset unanimous decision victory over Tim Sylvia. Facing Renato “Babalu” Sobral, Lambert scored an upset of his own following a knockout punch delivered at 3:26 of round 2.

• Jeremy says:

Unfortunate for Jason but I would think certainly to a degree expected. You lose three in a row in the UFC, and your not a big name of some sort, and you are in trouble. He should be able to get plenty of opportunities outside the UFC though on smaller shows like PFC, MFC and maybe over in Japan. He’s a good fighter and can test any up-and-comer or veteran fighter.

• Shawn says:

Yeah, I agree. I thought Jason was going to do some big things after that Babalu win, coupled with his prior success. Losing three in a row is not a good way to keep your job. Give it a few hours before people start coming on the internet bashing the UFC for cutting fighters in the middle of a contract of sorts. This is without merit because if I were to show up to work and consistently under-perform, I would get fired. If I show up to school and fail multiple tests in a row, I am going to fail the course and get put on academic probation. If I show up to my girlfriends house all the time stinking like booze, strippers, and white castle, she might let me get away with it once or twice but after a few times too many, I’d get dropped.

• Rich S. says:

dang.
    he was w/ them for soooo long.

• the Levi says:

he is good fighter , just not quite good enough for the UFC.

• Stan the Caddy says:

“In recent days, news has broken that the company attempted to reduce Fabricio Werdum’s salary and when he did not accept their new offer, a decision was made not to make a counter offer.”

What credible news source has said that they wanted to reduce Werdum’s salary?? I’ll I’ve seen on the subject is the typical internet chatter on message boards. For all we know, Werdum’s management could have been asking for a raise in pay and like the AA situation the UFC wasn’t willing to give him more to fight. So please correct me if I’m Wrong Sam Caplan and point me to a source that says the opposite.

• ultimatewhinger says:

well said stan the caddy, i too would like to know, and bad luck for Jason Lambert, its true you lose 3 straight and your bound to get cut, especially if u anit a big name, good luck on ur future tho Lambert.

• Michael says:

MAN THEY’VE GOT BALLS THIS BIG ,Meaning The UFC must think that they can just throw anybody over 205 under 265 in the octagon and we’ll pay for it …Well their probably right,But seriously the UFC HW Division is pretty bad right now and even after Werdum’s KO loss he was still a quality HW fighter i just don’t agree with this cut or whatever u wanna call it.I think they should have paid him the money and if he loss again then well u know UFC contracts.

• Tony Fennen says:

Lambert will be back in a year or 2. He lost a lot of weight and will need to get some good fights in the minors. He has had some good fights in the UFC so he will be a nice draw for a smaller card.
    Good Luck Lambert

• Bad Monkey says:

For whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee, Jason Lambert.

• Kelly Smith says:

Jason is a great fighter and it sucks that his contract was dropped. I only hope that he gets back in the game as soon as possible. He’s an awesome person and very down to earth.

Shawn, failing a test or under performing at work is not the same kind of work as being UFC fighter. I’m sure you don’t even know what it’s like to be a fighter. So instead of saying that he deserves this or it should be expected. You should hope for the best for these talented people and not be judgemental.

Anyway, I hope for the BEST for JASON! You Rock and I can’t wait to see your next fight and I hope that happens soon!