California commission skips drug testing at Strikeforce “Destruction”

Fighters competing on last Friday’s StrikeforceDestruction” event in San Jose, Calif. at the HP Pavilion were not subjected to drug screening of any kind, according to a report by MMA Weekly’s “Insider Blog.”

The report indicates that new California State Athletic Commission Assistant Executive Director Bill Douglas canceled drug testing for the event due to his decision to completely revamp the state’s drug screening process.

Douglas revealed to the site that the CSAC is working to finish the new drug screening program and that testing could resume in the state as early as next week.

A former staff analyst for the CSAC the past three years, Douglas was promoted to oversee the board of commissioners while the commission transitions from the leadership of outgoing Executive Director Armando Garcia to a full-time replacement.

Garcia tendered his resignation earlier this month but he will serve out his remaining term through Dec. 31, at which point his contract with the CSAC will expire. For all intents and purposes, Douglas is running the commission with Garcia only remaining Executive Director in name only.

During Garcia’s three-year tenure as the head commissioner of the CSAC, the state’s drug testing policies were some of the most controversial of any regulatory body in the United States.

2 COMMENTS
  • steve says:

    i suppose they couldnt use the old screening method one last time? sounds pretty stupid to me.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • fightfan says:

    Wow, if that is not admitting their drug testing program is screwed up!!!! I mean, they are basically saying……’Our program is so f***ked up, we will just skip testing an entire event until we can do something right’

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ