Dan Hardy vs. Rory Markham not official for UFC 95

A rumored welterweight matchup between Dan Hardy and Rory Markham that would place at UFC 95 at the O2 Arena in London on Feb. 17 has gained a lot of traction on various Internet news outlets over the course of the last week.

Despite the high level of speculation surrounding the proposed matchup, FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned Friday evening that the fight is not yet official.

A source close to Markham confirmed to Five Ounces of Pain that a bout with Hardy was indeed offered and that Markham signed the bout agreement. However, the source added that they were informed by the UFC that the bout wouldn’t be official until Hardy signed and that an executed agreement for the fight has not been returned. Markham’s camp is not entirely certain that Hardy will sign the contract.

Markham, a member of Pat Miletich’s Miletich Fighting Systems, is a former IFL veteran who made his UFC debut at UFC Fight Night 14 on July 19, where he recorded a stunning first round knockout over Brodie Farber following a head kick just 1:37 into the bout.

Hardy is a native of the UK and just recently debuted for the UFC at UFC 89 in October. Facing former PRIDE competitor Akihiro Gono, Hardy won via split decision to improve his overall MMA record to 20-6. The win served as his fourth consecutive victory.

• Jeremy says:

Not sure why Markham’s camp isn’t sure if Hardy will sign the contract. I wouldn’t think he would have any issue fighting Rory. Should be a good fight for Hardy, and one I don’t think he will lose.

• Stan the Caddy says:

Why such the long layoff for Markham? He wasn’t injured in the Farber fight, was he?

• shatner says:

No he wasn’t. Wanderlei Silva hasn’t fought since May,and at UFC 89 Akihiro Gono hadn’t fought since last year at UFC 78.Some guys seem to have a longer layoff between fights than others.I imagine sometimes that’s the UFC’s decision other times it’s the fighters.In Silva’s case he’s been in the UFC cage 36 seconds all year.I disagree with Jeremy who likes Hardy in this fight I like Markham.

• Goomba says:

I think Markham had family problems after his fight, which is why he hasn’t fought recently.

• Jeremy says:

I think Hardy is in a better place then Markham is right now. While his KO head kick over Farber was impressive looking in the end, as was seen in the fight and mentioned by Markham, he is a slow starter. I like Hardy’s activity with wins over Gono, Weichel and Reiner more then Markham’s wins over Farber and Ellis and loss to Cooper in his last three fights. And I think if he comes out slow against Hardy he will be in more serious trouble then against Farber, trouble that I don’t think he will overcome.

• T says:

I like Markhams wins over Pyle, Healy (beat Hardy), Blackburn, Farber…

Markham is a whole different animal than what people realize.