Dana White confirms Diego Sanchez’s move to lightweight

UFC President Dana White confirmed Tuesday that Diego Sanchez will be leaving the promotion’s welterweight division in order to compete under the UFC banner as a lightweight.

White made the announcement when asked by a fan about Sanchez’s next fight during a special Q&A session held at the Sports USA Bar in Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Sanchez recently indicated in a blog posted on his MySpace account that he was making preparations for a drop in weight. His revelation was followed up by his agents at NCFC Fight Management indicating that it was the UFC’s decision regarding which weight Sanchez’s next fight would take place at. White’s pronouncement effectively ends any uncertainty as to which weight class Sanchez will fight at.

Sanchez entered the UFC as a middleweight after winning the first season of The Ultimate Fighter. Following his first round TKO over Kenny Florian in the final, Sanchez immediately moved to the welterweight limit of 170 pounds. The transition to lightweight means that the 26-year old will now have to cut an additional 15 pounds in order to make the lightweight limit of 155 pounds.

After beginning his professional MMA career with a 17-0 record, Sanchez suffered the first losses at UFCs 69 and 76 against Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch, respectively. Sanchez rebounded to go 2-0 in his last two fights, however, wins over Luigi Fioravanti and David Bielkheden failed to generate the same type of buzz that surrounded him during the early part of his career.

• ctownhood says:

Wow…I imagine the “Nightmare” being a beast at 155 with his pace

• Si says:

Sanchez vs Huerta seems like a good fit here to (re)introduce them to the division. I’d also like to see Sanchez take on Florian at an even, more natural weight, to see how far they’ve both come since TUF 1.

• Munchy says:

Sherk vs Sanchez, I would enjoy seeing that even though I am not a huge fan of either fighter I still think it would be worth watching

• JBAR says:

Sanchez vs Guida, Huerta, Sherk, Griffin, Florian. All would be good fights. I hope he can make the cut without draining him of his energy level.

• Cuppa says:

Diego vs. KenFlo 2 is the fight I’d like to see. Wonder if Kenny would beat him this time araound and avenge the beatdown he received last time….

• Rich S. says:

YESSSSSSSSSS!

• Anton K says:

Hmmmn. Was the advent of powerhouse Thiago Alves the deciding factor?

I say tune Diego up for his first fight at lightweight, then throw him to the wolves: Sherk, Guida, Davis, etc and see if he can hang with the pack.

If Kenflo loses to BJ – I’m sure he’ll be next in line.

BJ v Sanchez is a fight worth waiting for.

• Simon Cason says:

fuck that, go straight for little bro Nate…Let Dirty Sanchez think he’s fighting a rematch with big bro Nick, and Dirty Sanchez gets choke’d the fuck out…

• Anton K says:

I can’t see Diego getting choked out by Nate – especially given that Diego has never been submitted. I think he’d torch Nate – but I’d dig seeing the fight anyway.

• DamonO says:

Cuppa – who is Davis? If you’re talking about Marcus Davis, he’s sitting at 170 still.

And to Simon Cason, anything’s possible but I don’t think that Nate could choke out Diego. He’s to froggy for your boy. He’ll find a way to slip out.

• tyler says:

Dana White also confirmed he’s a colossal prick!

• Anton K says:

my bad – forgot M Davis was ww.

• Cuppa says:

Nate Dog is super-bad!!! He reminds me of Big Nog, gets beaten down, then pulls out a victory out of his a……..

• shawn says:

yeah rite nate diaz wouldnt stand a chance against diego lol u all are nuts