Johnny Rees expected to be released from UFC contract following Wednesday’s loss

Welterweight competitor Johnny Rees’ stay with the UFC has ended after just two fights. After entering the promotion with a 10-0 record, the Indianapolis native has seen his record fall to 10-2 with consecutive losses at UFC Fight Night 14 in July and last night’s UFC Fight Night 16 event, subtitled “UFC Fight for the Troops.”

FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned of the news early Thursday morning from a source speaking on the condition of anonymity, who expressed that other releases could be made stemming from losses sustained during Wednesday’s show.

Rees was signed by the UFC early this summer to be a part of the UFN 14 card that was headlined by Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin and was held opposite of Affliction’s first pay-per-view show. Facing fellow newcomer Nate Loughran, Rees submitted to a triangle choke at 4:21 of round 1.

At UFN 16, Rees was matched up with former Navy veteran Steve Bruno, who submitted Rees with a rear naked choke at 3:44 of round 2 in a match that aired on Spike TV on a tape-delay basis following Josh Koscheck’s stunning first round knockout of Yoshiyuki Yoshida in the night’s main event.

• RUSH says:

No surprise there… It’s very likely the end for Nate Loughran, Brodie Farber, Brandon Wolff and I’m guessing possibly even Eddie Sanchez, Al-Hassan and Corey Hill. None of these guys seem to be UFC caliber

• tyler says:

Nate Loughran is a good prospect who’s 1 and 1 in the UFC I’d be surprised if he’s let go,as for the rest you mentioned GONE.

• JoHn says:

RUSH, i agree, all of them are surely gone

• Ertz says:

I thought Corey Hill was looking very good before the freak injury. His sheer reach advantage and takedown defense provide a unique challenge to any competitor.

• dpk says:

I doubt Loughran is gone. I’d also be surprised if Al-Hassan and Wolff are gone too. It was their first fight, and they don’t make much money. They are on thin ice, but I doubt they are gone.

• flassassin says:

Razak isn’t gone yet either. He was undefeated and a big name on the minor circuits. He gets at least one more fight.

• Justin Van Hook says:

No way Al-Hassan or Corey Hill are released. How would it look if those guys just gave up limbs for the UFC and then get cut. The UFC may do some pretty crappy things concerning their fighters but no way they are that terrible.

• timbo slice says:

I think Nate Loughran is on a short leash. He basically just gave up in between rounds. Granted he was taking a beating but the fight was far from over.

• timbo slice says:

Strike that last comment. I just read he had a broken rib. Not much you can do with that.

• Lethal says:

UFC usually gives guys 2 fights before releasing them, unless they just get completely dismantled in that first fight. If for nothing else then to be used to pad another fighters record.

• Tony Fennen says:

The lighter weight guys at least have a chance to move down to the WEC and I think we can all agree that it is a move down.
    Razak is a huge guy but he needs to get some more boxing training. I am surprised he didnt get KO’ed by leaving his chin in the air like that. The arm bar is nasty no matter who does it. no fault there
    Corey Hill…. MOVE UP A DIVISION AND GAIN SOME MUSCLE. I really like Corey but he is going to have more problems like that leg if he doesnt put some meat on those bones. I am no Dr. but he could be classed as malnourished

• Mikee says:

Don’t you think if he was malnourished, one of the doctors throughout the lengthy medical checks the fighters have to go through would have said something? Maybe he suffers from osteoporosis!! Hahaha. No really, dude needs something on those legs though. I feel bad watching him walk around and constantly find myself if he is alright on those things.

• RUSH says:

I watched the Corey Hill vs. Dale Hartt fight and Hill was definitely winning that fight. I don’t think either of them are UFC caliber, but I suppose we’ll see them again