UFC 92 “Fight Night” Bonuses Awarded to Jackson, Griffin, and Evans

In a card filled with an abundance of action, three of the UFC’s biggest superstars received sizable bonuses on top of their guaranteed salaries while competing at Saturday night’s “UFC 92: Ultimate 2008” event.

Following the completion of the event, UFC officials announced that Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, Rashad Evans, and Forrest Griffin were all recipients of $60,000 “Fight Night” bonuses.

Evans’ third round TKO over Griffin courtesy of ground and pound punches not only brought him the UFC’s light heavyweight title, but also a share of the UFC’s “Fight of the Night” bonus along with Griffin.

Jackson received his 60K “Knockout of the Night” bonus thanks to his dramatic KO victory over Wanderlei Silva which saw Silva laid out cold following a left hook that put an immediate stop to the fight at 3:21 of round 1.

In addition to its regular “Fight of the Night” and “Knockout of the Night” bonuses, the UFC normally also awards a “Submission of the Night” bonus. However, with none of the ten scheduled bouts on the card having ended via tapout, no such award could be given.

• Fab says:

Why not give the $60 grand from the submission of the night to the three guys who were apart of the KO and Fight of the Night? Give Forrest, Rashad, and Rampage an extra $20 grand. I mean you probably were planning on giving it out why not give it to the other guys?

• Stan the Caddy says:

“I mean you probably were planning on giving it out why not give it to the other guys?”

Maybe so they can save $60k?? Zuffa does a lot of things but throwing around money just for the heck of it isn’t one of them.

• nate says:

Ugh, I still cant get over Nog’s loss. Nog + Wanderlei + Forrest losing in one night = sucks. I never want to watch those matchups again.

Thank god the next card is exciting, it will help me forget this one ever happened.

• KTru says:

If there was not a submission…..then why give the money out? Give me a break

Wand and Nog losing is a historic night…..but Rashad should be given his due

• Davey D says:

What about Pat Barry? Did his opponent not verbally submit/quit? I think that ought to count for something more than purse in which a fighter gets a show up payment/win bonus.

• CaptainAmerica1967 says:

No $60K for Mir…heck to destroyed Nog!

• WaltSobchak says:

Massenzio should get the bonus for submission of the night. Dollaway tapped.

• Don says:

Mir got messed over!!! Griffin looses, Mir makes “TKO EGGNOG” and gets no knockout money? Dana White needs to make that right!!! ASAP!!! Peace, Don

• mikemick says:

Wow, I was expecting to see the UFC give an official announcement about Rampage being fined this morning due to punching an obviously KO’d Wandy two full hits (3 total) while the referee was trying to rip him off the downed fighter. I understand the first hit to the KO’d opponent was messed up, but legal… But hits 2 and 3 while the ref is trying to get him to stop were completely illegal and uncalled for. But instead, the UFC gives him a bonus. If I were Babalu, I’d be pissed. There is an obvious double-standard here. First BJ, and now this. Obviously if you are a star in the UFC, they don’t mind bending the rules for you.

I also thought it was a stupid move on Rampage’s part, because doens’t he have to go to court here in the near future? Isn’t there defense that he isn’t out-of-control…that he was just on energy drinks? Well, these antics won’t help his defense.

• mikemick says:

typo: isn’t *their* defense

• Boston Tim says:

Was it just my imagination or did anyone else see CB tap from that guillotine…It sure looked like it to me….If thats the case I’m really pissed because that fight destroyed my 9 fight parlay for some real good money

• Dan says:

CB did tap, but without the ref seeing it, it is moot. He still managed to get out and I think it was a good stoppage by Mazagati. Massenzio didn’t defend himself. he only has himself to blame for the stoppage.

• Jackyl says:

I thought I saw a tap from CB as well. What is it with CB and tap controversies? What a night though. No subs. All stoppages or decisions. Crazy! I was really disappointed with Nog. I guess he just had the wrong strategy and underestimated Mir’s standup. He might have been trying to take it to the later rounds but it backfired. Too many punches landed. Lesnar vs Mir is gonna be a war.

• glock says:

Well so far 5 (including me) that I’ve read thought they saw a tap.

• mikemick says:

I saw the “tap”, but I didn’t consider it a tap. It was one of those motions that looked like a tap, but seemed like it was done accidentally, and was not the intention of the fighter. That was my impression at least.

• frankmur says:

Mikemick, I agree that the 3-4 punches Jackson hit Wandy with were unnecessary,however the responsibility to end the action is with the ref and Yves Lavigne did not react fast enough to prevent those punches. In Sobrals case there was a clear tap and he did not let go until the ref forced him to. IMO a different situation altogether.

• Dave says:

Why the hell does Forrest get $60,000 to get his ass handed to him?! Boy, Zuffa and White love Forrest….I am suprised Chuck never got $30,000 just for being in the stands.