The Nevada State Athletic Commission announced medical suspensions on Monday night for 11 fighters that participated during this past Saturday night’s UFC 92 event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
According to the NSAC documents obtained by FiveOuncesOfPain.com, it appears that former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin may have suffered a broken left hand in losing his title to Rashad Evans courtesy of a third round TKO.
The NSAC records reveal that Griffin has received a minimum medical suspension until February 12, 2009. He must also avoid all contact until January 28, 2009. The commission is also mandating that the Las Vegas resident have his left hand X-rayed by an orthopedic specialist. Furthermore, while Feb. 12 is the earliest he can compete again, his suspension could last up until June 27 of next year unless he receives medical clearance to return sooner.
Other notable fighters to receive medical suspensions were both Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Wanderlei Silva. Nogueira, who lost the interim UFC heavyweight title to Frank Mir following a second round TKO, is suspended through February 27 and ordered to avoid contact until February 12.
Silva, who was TKO’d by a left hook at 3:21 of round 1 during his fight with Quinton Jackson, is also suspended through February 27 and must avoid contact until February.
The complete lists of medical suspensions handed out to fighters from UFC 92 is listed below:
- Forrest Griffin - Maximum suspension of no contest until 6/27/09. Must visit an orthopedic specialist to have left hand X-rayed. Suspension could be reduced to 2/12/09 if he receives proper medical clearance. Also ordered to avoid all contact until 1/28/09.
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira – Suspended until 02/27/09 with no contact until 02/12/09. No injury specified.
- Wanderlei Silva – Suspended until 02/27/09 with no contact until 02/12/09. No injury specified.
- Mike Massenzio – Suspended until 01/28/09 with no contact until 01/19/09. No injury specified.
- Mostapha Al-Turk - Must clear broken nose with Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist or no contest until 06/27/09. Also given a minimum suspension of no contest until 02/27/09 with no contact allowed until 02/12/09 due to lacerations over left eye and on top of head.
- Mike Wessel – Suspended until 02/12/09 with no contact until 01/28/09. No injury specified.
- Matt Hamill - Suspended until 02/12/09 with no contact until 01/28/09 due to cut under left eye.
- Reese Andy - Must have a CT scan of face to rule out orbital fracture and doctor’s clearance or no contest until 06/27/09. His minimum suspension of no contest is until 02/27/09 with no contact allowed until 02/12/09.
- Brad Blackburn - Must be cleared by a neurologist before next fight due to tingling/numbness in his left arm. Also must clear nasal fracture with Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist or no contest until 06/27/09. His minimum suspension of no contest is until 02/12/09 with no contact allowed until 01/28/09.
- Patrick Barry - Suspended until 01/28/09 with no contact until 01/19/09 due to an injured right elbow.
- Dan Evensen – Must have orthopedic clearance on his left knee or no contest until 06/27/09. His minimum suspension of no contest is until 01/28/09 with no contact allowed until 01/19/09.