Jackson pleads guilty

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has pleaded guilty to one felony count of evading police and one misdemeanor count of driving recklessly as part of a plea deal with the Orange County District Attorney’s office.

Jackson made headlines in July 15, 2008 when he led police on a high speed chase from Costa Mesa to Newport in California.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion reportedly hit several cars, ran numerous red lights and nearly hit pedestrians as he drove onto the sidewalk while evading police.

Toxicology tests conducted on Jackson following the incident indicated that he was not under the influence of any form of controlled substance at the time.

It has been reported that medical experts have determined that Jackson was suffering from delirium during the time of the offense. Delirium is defined as temporary state of mental confusion and fluctuating consciousness resulting from high fever, intoxication, shock, or other causes. It is characterized by anxiety, disorientation, hallucinations, delusions, and incoherent speech.

Jackson would have faced a possible three years in prison had he decided to not accept the plea deal.

As part of his plea deal Jackson will have to perform 200 hours of community service, pay restitution and take part in mental health evaluations. He could still face a possible six months in jail if he does not complete these court ordered requirements by his sentencing date that is scheduled for January 7th, 2010.

• JBAR says:

This should clear the way for a title shot. No way would he have got the shot with a possible prison sentence in his near future. I hope Rampage can get his life in order and keep it that way.

• egad81 says:

Good For Him.
    Glad to see they are not trying to keep a good brotha down!

CANT WAIT FOR RAMPAGE TO GET HIS COLLAR… I mean belt back

• CMT says:

Could delirium be caused by losing your title?? I guess now when stars do stupid sh*t, it will be called delirium. His name isn’t “Rampage” for nothing. Actually that moniker fits quire well. I hope Jackson gets his mind right, I like watching him fight. Good luck Rampage. Please don’t bite any ears in your next fight.

• pam says:

if rampage jackson would be a person that had no fame he would be in jail. no questions asked he broke the law and now he should pay. no community service no doctors check-up just jail. i have a friend who played in the nhl and because of a fight he is being sued by a police officer, if the would have been an average joe you would here nothing about it. rampage jackson should not be allowed back in the ufc. i’d have more respect for mr dana white if he actually kept jackson out of the ring. one problem always leads to another. set an example so no one else dose the stupid mistakes that jackson did.

• nate says:

no matter how much I love Rampage Jackson, this is a black eye on MMA. The sooner it is over the better.

I feel guilty about it sometimes, but I want the old jokester back again as well. No fighter cracks me up more than Rampage.

• JBAR says:

Pam, While I understand your feelings I do not agree. In this day and age there are alot of people out walking the street who have done far worse than what Rampage did. It is sad but it is true. Nobody was hurt and the property damage can be repaired or replaced. If it was truly caused by a medical condition he was suffering from I see no reason for him to lose his job over this either.

• CMT says:

JBAR – I agree and disagree with you. That means I must be delirious. Therefore, I cannot be held accountable for what I am about to say: Rampage was driving a truck with a sponsors name on it. It ran from the cops and destroyed property. Now I don’t know if there were other sponsor names on the truck, but I would be willing to bet that if you or I did this sort of thing in a company vehicle (not exactly the same, but close enought for this comment) we would be without a job pretty damn quick. This is nothing more than greed. He has a job because he still draws viewers. If he could not bring in the money he would have been gone. People love a train wreck!!

• EamonJGod says:

If the courts didn’t make a federal case of it neither should zuffa. Jacksons got an otherwise clean record with the company, and they have medical experts saying the he was delirous, which explains why he’s not in prison right now, trust me they love locking up rich and famous brothers.