Atencio says next event could happen in July or August; leaning towards Fedor vs. Barnett

While no plans have been finalized or bout agreements have been signed, preliminary talk amongst Affliction Entertainment officials has taken place regarding a third event. During a recent video interview with FiveOuncesOfPain.com, Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio indicated that a summer return for the promotion is possible.

“We’re going to have a third event,” Atencio began. “It’s just a matter of when. Possibly in July (or) possibly in August. I’m just not really sure. We’re looking and we’re sitting down (and) trying to figure everything out.”

Prior to Saturday’s “Day of Reckoning” event, Atencio had been quoted as saying that the winners of heavyweight bouts featuring WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett vs. Gilbert Yvel would face each other in the future.

Emelianenko knocked out Arlovski at 3:14 of round 1 during the night’s main event with Barnett earning a third round submission against Yvel during the show’s co-main event. Atencio was asked whether Emelianeno vs. Barnett was likely to headline the next show.

“That’s what I’m hoping for but right now I’ve got to sit down with these guys and figure everything out,” he responded.

In an article by FiveOuncesOfPain.com and CBSSports.com’s Gary Herman, Barnett reportedly indicated that he was open to fighting Fedor but that nothing has been signed.

“I don’t have a bout agreement,” Barnett told Herman. “Nothing is signed. Nothing exists.”

A venue for the third event has yet to be determined but sources speaking on the condition of anonymity have indicated that either a return to Anaheim, Calif. or a Trump-owned venue in Atlantic City, N.J. are considered the most likely options.

• Tyler says:

I don’t think that Fedor and Barnett are going to fight I really think Josh wants no part of it.
    Affliction is going to have to find another opponent for Fedor maybe Paul Buentello, also with the next card happening in July or August Tito Ortiz will most likely be on the card a rematch with Frank Shamrock would be great.
    It makes sense to have an event in Atlantic City with Donald Trump’s involvement the Taj Mahal would be perfect.

• htown-chris says:

this is why the ufc is so successful. 7 months to make a fight happen is ridiculous. the ufc could make that fight happen in 3 to 4 months. yeah its a fight we want to see but why do we have wait so long. thats why fedor only fights once a year. if chuck liddell only fought once a year he’d still be the champ. title holders in the ufc are fightng 2 and 3 times a year. thats why they are the kings of the mma world right now.

• rob says:

Bring AFFLICTION to the Boardwalk Hall – I’d pay to see Fedor’s 2nd title defense of the year…..along w/ Mousasi/Babalu – maybe they can bring the WAMMA lightweight champion over too (Shinya Aoki) – – – I can wish can’t I?

• Tyler says:

htown-chris Affliction has had two events total and the UFC has two a month sometimes and Zuffa has been in control for eight years.
    To compare the two at this point in unreasonable.
    Affliction I’m sure will be happy to survive and put together another card. I for one hope they’re successful because competition is great for the consumer you and I. But I’ve also enjoyed their first two cards very much.
    If anyone doesn’t think Affliction’s presence is good for MMA ask yourself if the UFC would be putting relatively recent PPV events on free TV only a couple of months after they’ve happened without Affliction around.

• Chris says:

One more Aff event then they are dead. And it wont happen early in July, UFC 100 anyone? HOw about Aff gets some balls and go head to head July 4 weekend and shit? UFC 100 vs Aff 3. But they wont. It will be the end of July or Aug, so the UFC can do a fight night or something to counter them. Lets see the PPV for this last one, cause I dont think Fedor vs JB is nearly as big as Fedor vs AA . And what, waiting so Tito can fight Babalu on this card?

• mmalover says:

id rather see arlovski get another go see if he dont do same mistake again rather see that then barnett dont draw and think cro cop might be back from op by next one so wouldnt mind seeing him against someone he does better in ring

• Mike Wolfe says:

They have to go with Barnett v. Fedor because they don’t have another heavyweight with Barnett’s pedigree. I suppose some fans will pay to watch Fedor fight a yellow dog, but not me, especially since Barnett’s the obvious opponent. And if it is Barnett, he’s doomed. Yvel’s stand up gave Barnett fits, and Barnett’s wrestling was what saved him. Wrestling plays to Fedor’s strengths, and Fedor should have no problem with Barnett’s stand up. The only questions are whether Barnett makes it out of the first round and who’s on the undercard. I’d sure like to see Belfort again.

• King Solomon says:

Yea waiting 6 months really sucks. Fedor will probubly fight in japan in 3-4 months. In The dream card Maybe. Hopefully against overheem.

I hope Dream and World Victory pick up the slack because being stranded to ufc fighters sucks. I really hate all the TUF BS too. Bunch of rookies is all.

My vote for PNP king is : Fedor : Great fight.

• htown-chris says:

hey tyler i agree with you im not really knokin affliction so much as i am fedor. fedor is with out a doubt a dominant fighter. but i woud like to c him fight more often and i think if dana woud swallow just a piece of his pride pay the man what he is worth they could bring fedor in and we woud be able to see really just how great he is. hes an awsome fighter dont get me wrong. but this is not boxing, and mma fighters fight mor than once every 18months.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

After all this time,Josh Barnett is the only one who deserves a shot at Fedor.
    At the very least,he’ll make it more interesting than Fedor’s last …what…5 fights?

• Jon says:

Paul Buentello vs Josh Barnett would be a great rematch

• Dustin says:

yeah but the UFC has been around longer thats why they put together fighters quicker, affliction MMA? hasnt been around that long, yes its gonna be hard to grow definitly with the UFC in the way, but I must say I dont think the ufc has the best heavy weights they got some of the best fighters but not all of them but fedor has proved enough, UFC fighters have to beat him to prove there the best, and if they beat him i will for ever shut up but fedor is just a super beast competes sambo alot so its not like hes not getting any physical training done, all you can do is wait to see wat happens ill still have my money always on fedor even if he dosnt come prepared for the fight like he did with arlovski,

• Jesus Valdes Rangel says:

i think the next fights of Fedor should be fights only against champions, it’ll be nice to see Fedor against Lesnar, or some other champios, eventhough we can see that Fedor’s level is way up any other fighter that has fought him in this last fights.
    The fight between Fedor and Lesnar is almost obvious that Fedor is better but is just to give a better and more interesant show to the people.

• russiandoeboi says:

couture – fedor never interested me as much as lesnar-fedor.

barnett would kill lesnar in every aspect, but lesnar could be a challenging match up for fedor

• meatloaf says:

People who think Lesnar would be a challenge to Fedor need to wake up.
    Nobody with four career fights who has little submission defense would pose a threat to Fedor.
    Not to mention with so little fighting experience we really don’t know what kind of a chin Lesnar has. He has yet to take a big punch to the face. When he does I’d like to see how he reacts before I expect him to give Fedor a good fight.
    Let’s see his chin get tested and let him train submission defense for about the next three years before you mention him in the same breath as the greatest fighter in all of MMA.