twitter google

Atencio says next event could happen in July or August; leaning towards Fedor vs. Barnett

While no plans have been finalized or bout agreements have been signed, preliminary talk amongst Affliction Entertainment officials has taken place regarding a third event. During a recent video interview with FiveOuncesOfPain.com, Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio indicated that a summer return for the promotion is possible.

“We’re going to have a third event,” Atencio began. “It’s just a matter of when. Possibly in July (or) possibly in August. I’m just not really sure. We’re looking and we’re sitting down (and) trying to figure everything out.”

Prior to Saturday’s “Day of Reckoning” event, Atencio had been quoted as saying that the winners of heavyweight bouts featuring WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett vs. Gilbert Yvel would face each other in the future.

Emelianenko knocked out Arlovski at 3:14 of round 1 during the night’s main event with Barnett earning a third round submission against Yvel during the show’s co-main event. Atencio was asked whether Emelianeno vs. Barnett was likely to headline the next show.

“That’s what I’m hoping for but right now I’ve got to sit down with these guys and figure everything out,” he responded.

In an article by FiveOuncesOfPain.com and CBSSports.com’s Gary Herman, Barnett reportedly indicated that he was open to fighting Fedor but that nothing has been signed.

“I don’t have a bout agreement,” Barnett told Herman. “Nothing is signed. Nothing exists.”

A venue for the third event has yet to be determined but sources speaking on the condition of anonymity have indicated that either a return to Anaheim, Calif. or a Trump-owned venue in Atlantic City, N.J. are considered the most likely options.