Carlos Condit set to move to UFC’s welterweight division; could debut vs. Kampmann at UFN 18

A title defense by World Extreme Cagefighting welterweight champion Carlos Condit against Brock Larson that had been scheduled for WEC 39 on March 1 in Corpus Christi, Texas has been canceled due to an injury sustained by Larson.

Instead of finding a new opponent for Condit, sources have informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com that Zuffa officials have decided to transfer Condit to the UFC’s welterweight division. Additionally, Condit’s Octagon debut could take place in a televised bout during UFC Fight Night 18 on April 1 against Martin Kampmann.

Condit is 22-4 overall in a pro MMA career that began in 2002. Since joining the WEC, he is 5-0 with notable victories over Larson, Hiromitsu Miura, Carlo Prater, and John Alessio. Outside of the promotion, the 24-year old holds notable victories over Frank Trigg, Renato Verissimo, Takuya Wada, and Koji Oshi.

While a final decision has not been made, indications are that the WEC’s welterweight division could be discontinued on a permanent basis. This past December, the promotion disbanded its light heavyweight and middleweight weight classes with most of the divisions’ best fighters having subsequently been transferred to the UFC.

If the WEC moves to end its 170 pound division, fighters that could follow Condit into the UFC include Larson, Miura, Prater, former NCAA champion Johny Hendricks, American Top Team black belt Danilo Villefort, Jesse Lennox, Edgar Garcia, Alex Serdyukov, Justin Haskins, and Luis Sapo.

The WEC had made attempts in recent months to bolster the depth in its welterweight division but was unsuccessful after several fighters it had been interested in were unsuccessful in getting out of contracts with other organizations.

If Condit vs. Kampamann becomes finalized, it could serve as UFN 18’s main event. The card is set to emanate from Nashville, Tennessee with reported matchups that include season eight lightweight winner from The Ultimate Fighter Efrain Escudero taking on Jeremy Stephens; TUF 8 light heavyweight winner Ryan Bader vs. Carmelo Marrero; Tyson Griffin vs. Rafael dos Anjos; Matt Horwich vs. Ricardo Almeida; Steve Steinbeiss vs. Ryan Jensen; Aaron Simpson vs. Tim McKenzie; and Junie Browning vs. Cole Miller.

• VENOM says:

Cool, can’t wait to see Condit in the Octagon!

• 45 Huddle says:

I like this move. Get rid of the WEC Welterweights. just do Lightweight to Flyweight.

• Mike C. says:

great fight. Condit is where he belongs now and Kampmann has a chance to really build his name up with a big win over very quality comp.

• jj says:

They may as well get rid of the welterweight division, actually I already thought it was gone along with the other heavier divisions in favour of the light weight classes that the UFC doesn’t carry.

What do you do with a WW champion in the WEC once he’s outgrown it?
    Strip his title and move him to UFC? What relevance would a belt have if the champ continually vacated it to fight tougher competition?

• mburtoni says:

This is great news. I have been thinking for a long time that, in addition to the LHW and MW classes, the WEC should do away with the WW and LW classes. The UFC and the WEC should have NO overlapping weight classes; the WEC LW and WW champions are simply de-legitimized as it is no mystery that the best fighters are in the UFC. The WEC took a step in the right direction when they announced a flyweight (125 lb) weight class; they could do one better and start a 115 lb weight class (if there are any fighters that can get that light, hehe.) Maybe also a super heavyweight class just for fun.

• Ertz says:

The problem with dropping the LW class is that they will only have 2 established classes remaining. That would make it hard to sell tickets, as I don’t see them venturing away from the small confines of The Joint anymore with such few attractions. How are they going to sell $225 tickets with no title fights in place? I guess they could combat this by holding fewer cards per year, but they already don’t produce that many to begin with.

• Fightlinker.com says:

Simple: Add two or three women’s divisions.

125 / 135 / 145 mens
    115 / 145 womens

• Brad says:

I like the idea of doing away with weight classes that the UFC has, the LW, MW and WW champs did seem pointless as it did make more sense to just to move those fighters to the UFC. If it were up to me I would add a 220 lb cruiserweight division to the ufc and move the lw division to the wec so that it would have a great division that could draw fans. Than the ufc would have hw, cw, lhw, mw, and ww. Leaving wec with lw featherweight, bw, fw. Maybe also at a superheavyweight division to wec like thr other guy said. This is rambling a bit but I guess my main point is the UFC should add a cruiserweight division between lhw and hw so that they’re isn’t a freakin 60 range.

• john says:

I would love to see some women’s divisons added. WEC is the perfect place to have some big female fights. Bringing Kid Yamamoto over would be a great idea for the organization too if its possible, i didnt until Dana’s blog the other day.

• Mike Wolfe says:

This is a bad move for fans and fighters. Not all of the WEC welterweights will be competitive in UFC, so they’ll be cut, especially since UFC periodically trims its roster. Even Condit will have his hands full with mid-level UFC welterweights. That means fewer fighters and fewer fights. Brian Stann is an example. I like the guy and like watching him fight, but I doubt he’ll make it long term in the UFC because light heavy is very competitive.

It will also weaken WEC, imo. The lighter weights are exciting, but the focus of the org may be too narrow, and I’d hate to see the entire org. suffer. There’s no way a fight card will be as entertaining or as high quality if there’s only 3 or 4 weight classes.

• the Levi says:

that will be one hell of a tough test for Condit if that is his first fight.I look forward to seeing Carlos in the Octagon.me and my cousin have been waiting for the UFC to bring him in and see how he fairs against the big boys of the UFC.I wish him the best of luck in his move to the UFC,but I will be going for the Hitman Martin Kappman in this fight.

• Jackyl says:

I like the idea of Condit moving to the UFC. But I don’t like the idea of the WEC dissolving the WW division. They need more depth especially if the want to venture outside The Joint.

• Scott says:

MMA Weekly is reporting that Brock Larson is not injured, and that the WEC simply cancelled the fight. Larson is also reportedly headed back to the UFC along with Condit…Larson is already 1-1 in the UFC.

Editor’s Note: MMA Weekly is also reporting that Condit is expected to move to the UFC.

• rondog6669 says:

I think that the LW class should also go. and the WEC should add 125,135 and 145LBS womens devisions

• ZuffaFan says:

Its OBVIOUS whats happening. once this is all sorted out, the UFC will operate Heavyweight, Lt.Heavyweight, Middleweight, and Welterweight. The WEC will operate Lightweight, Featherwight, Bantamweight, and Flyweight. 4 divisions each. 4 champions each. The UFC will be promoted as The BIG Boys and the WEC as the Little Guys, and they will both continue to be the top of the food chain in mma.

• jeffgtx says:

My 2 cents: Cut the WW division in the WEC and raise the UFC lightweight limit to 160 lbs. Most of the top guys at lightweight in the UFC are converted WW’s anyway (Penn, Sherk, Florian, Stevenson, etc.) and doing so would separate a massive pool of talent while not creating a second fiddle champion.

• EJ says:

According the WEC’s own site, Condit was the one who got injured so the chances of this happening are zero. Also why would the UFC decide to scrap an entire division because a contender got hurt i’m sure there will be plenty of takers who would love a shot somebody must have gotten some bad info on this.

Editor’s Note: We had two separate sources tell us Larson was injured, so we stand by the story. It’s possible that Condit is injured as well. Regardless, to say there is a “zero chance” on this happening is laughable considering that other outlets are now confirming our original reporting regarding Condit’s move to the UFC.

• EJ says:

I’m sorry but i’m already confused here what is the story exactly?, first it’s that Larson is injured and there are no other contenders so Condit is moved to the UFC. The it’s Larson isn’t injured the UFC out of nowhere decided to scrap the fight and move both to the UFC. The WEC themselves says that Condit is the one who is injured so the scrapped the fight and are looking for a replacement. Hopefully this will be cleared up sometime tommorrow but so far these sources seem off the ball to me but what do I know.

• DamonO says:

Fightlinker.com on January 27th, 2009 5:37 pm said:

“Simple: Add two or three women’s divisions.

125 / 135 / 145 mens
    115 / 145 womens”

Great minds think alike. This is exactly what they are doing I guarantee it.

• DamonO says:

BTW, the reason I came in here.

Carlos Condit in the UFC. I have been waiting for this to come. I like this guy and he will have no problem holding his own with Kampmann on his feet and on the ground. Can’t wait!

• Bullylover says:

It’s finally hapened. They should move Condit, Larson, Allessio, Villefort and Miura to the UFC. This would open the door for many matchups-Condit/Fitch, Miura/Parisyan,Larson/Kappaman,Villefort/Hazelett, Allessio/Davis/Lytle. A fight between Fitch/ Condit or swick/Condit & Miura/Parisyan would be barnburners.I hope this is true.

• Bullylover says:

Allessio Kappamann would also be a hella of a fight,

• CMT says:

ZuffaFan – Very interesting comment. I am not sure I agree with moving the lightweight out of the UFC and over to the WEC. I like the free WEC cards. If this were to happen, Zuffa could create more revenue with more than one PPV card per month?!?!? I have always considered the WEC as a stepping stone into the UFC. Just my opinion. I am not sure if the current UFC lightweights would make the move as most would consider it a “step down”. Again, just my opinion. I would like to see the WEC add some women’s divisions. All very interesting comments on this article.

• ZuffaFan says:

CMT- yes, most UFC lightweights probally would consider moving to the WEC as a step down, at first, but by adding the ufc 55 class to wec it would dramatically increase its star power. Plus “seeing” it as a step down and actually being a step down are drastically different. Dana White has already stated on more than one occassion that he hopes to take the wec to ppv this year in 2009. this would be a step in the right direction. What everyone has to Get over is this pre-concieved notion that the WEC is going to be a “farm league”.. it is going to be grown into a Worldwide Brand just like the UFC. except to were as the UFC will be billed as “The BIG Guys”, the WEC will simply operate the 4 smaller weights(55,45,35,25) and be promoted as the little guys. this opens up an entire new marketing strategy towards the audience. Some fans may simply not want to watch the big weights as the are slower and vice versa as the small weights arnt as big power punchers. regardless, its not going to happen overnight but i fully expect the Lightweight divisions final residence to be in the WEC. it makes sense and is much more uniformed to have 4 champions/weight classes each.

• crom says:

not happy about this at all

let me think about it

WEC comes down here to Corpus, tickets go on sale last week and then a week later the headliner (Everyone wants to see Condit) or his opponent have an injury (seems they can’t get their stories straight) and they scrap the fight?

Slick move Dana, got my money on the back of your headliner and then you run this scam.